Page 10 of 11 FirstFirst ... 891011 LastLast

Thread: Ok, I'm getting another Steyr Scout.

Feedback Score
    43 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by newyork View Post
    And also reliably and ethically kill deer at 300 yards? I’d imagine so but I’m over analyzing.
    A typical 308 load with a 150gr bullet out of a 16” barrel (shorter than 19”) has more energy at 300 yards than a .30-30 does out of a standard barrel at 100 yards.

So, yes.

Feedback Score
    And also reliably and ethically kill deer at 300 yards? I’d imagine so but I’m over analyzing.
    Plenty of power for deer at 300 yards assuming you have the ability, and a clear shot.

I suspect you are highly unlikely to be able to find 300 yards of clear shooting at any game animal in New York State.

Feedback Score
    28 (100%)
    Damn it! I’m trying so hard not to get sucked into buying one but damn it I’m in love.

$1700 for a rifle with irons vs $1700 for a rifle with a decent optic. Either of the two calibers would be fine. The Steyr looks like a pleasure to carry in the field and covers multiple game and roles. Hard to ignore. Add a shooting sling and whenever I can afford an optic. Guess I could practice with irons at first and save up.

I’ll look back at what optics you guys are using.
    "Enlighten the people generally, and tyranny and oppressions of body and mind will vanish like evil spirits at the dawn of day."

Thomas Jefferson

Feedback Score
    You need to understand that the “iron” sights on the Steyr (they’re polymer) are extremely rudimentary, they are not meant to be a primary sight. The front blade is quite wide, and is adjustable for windage. The rear is a ghost ring that is adjustable for elevation. You need a small flat head screwdriver to adjust either one. Also fair warning but the stock is designed for use with optics, it takes a concerted effort to get down onto the irons. They’re very much a BUIS.

As for value for money the Steyr comes with a spare magazine, and a built in bipod (also very rudimentary although it does tilt). The Steyr also has built in length of pull adjustments via the stock spacers.

If you want a spare magazine for the SAKO and a bipod, those will cost extra. Adjustable length of pull will involve a new stock or a gunsmith.

Also if you peruse Gunbroker you can find Scouts in the $1500 range. Pre-panic I think they were more like $1400.

Feedback Score
    Richard Mann has organized several scout rifle safaris into South Africa recently, they were dropping African game at 400 and 500 yards, one shot with scout type rifles.

you will be fine with a 19/20" barreled 308 of any kind for anything walking around NA, particularly if your game animal of choice is deer.

as for long shots... some food for thought.

https://empty-cases.com/blog/hunting...oing-it-wrong/
    https://empty-cases.com/blog/you-mig...wrong-part-ii/
    Last edited by 1859sharps; 02-25-21 at 22:53.

Feedback Score
    Love my Steyr, but I am 100% with Coal Dragger on the whole "iron sight thing". the "irons" on the steyr are a joke. I didn't buy the rifle for the irons though.

If you do buy one, Leopold still has one scout scope offering left. It is an intermediate eye relief scope, variable power. no where near as nice as the VX R, but likely better than the original extended eye relief scope. But I haven't used it yet or have any info on it other than leopuld's web sight.

If you go the LPVO route, be prepared to need to mount it a touch higher than you might have to on a traditional bolt rifle. the same LPVO I can mount with low rings on my R700, needs medium rings on the Steyr, other wise you can't work the bolt.

shooting the steyr will expose your areas to improve with the first shot. light rifles do take a bit more skill to use, and they let you know when you screw up mounting the rifle soon as you pull the trigger. on the other hand, when you do everything right, they can be a joy to shoot and the recoil is not punishing at all.

Feedback Score
    28 (100%)
    Even though my dealer has a 308, I’d be tempted as hell to grab a 6.5 version instead to mitigate some recoil while still retaining good deer killing ability.

Do you find the Steyr to also be enjoyable at the range? Whether it be at the bench or taking snapshots at paper or steel, or is it better left as a hunter for you?
    "Enlighten the people generally, and tyranny and oppressions of body and mind will vanish like evil spirits at the dawn of day."

Thomas Jefferson

Feedback Score
    28 (100%)
    Accidental double post.
    Last edited by newyork; 02-26-21 at 06:40.

Thomas Jefferson

Feedback Score
    13 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by 1859sharps View Post
    on stock color, I never personally liked the gray stocks. I used to think black was the way to go until I saw the green stock. pics on their web site do not do it justice. The mossy oak bottom land stock looks nice too.

If you really like the gray stocks, you can get a striped one here for https://www.gunpartscorp.com/products/717930 $42 Not sure if they have the other parts you would need to finish the stock though.
    Is that the original 90s grey color? The page says it’s a charcoal grey. The original stock color was a lighter grey. Almost identical to the 90s H&K grey. Which also needs to make a comeback.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by CRAMBONE View Post
    Is that the original 90s grey color? The page says it’s a charcoal grey. The original stock color was a lighter grey. Almost identical to the 90s H&K grey. Which also needs to make a comeback.
    OMG! I am a guy. gray is gray. green is green, black is black.

actually now that you make me think about it, yes the original was a lighter gray.

Page 10 of 11 FirstFirst ... 891011 LastLast