Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ... 91011

Thread: Ok, I'm getting another Steyr Scout.

Feedback Score
    9 (91%)
    Quote Originally Posted by 1859sharps View Post
    OMG! I am a guy. gray is gray. green is green, black is black.

actually now that you make me think about it, yes the original was a lighter gray.
    Can you explain the difference between mauve, puce and purple? And if I want OD green, will Loden Green work instead?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Feedback Score
    24 (100%)
    I want to put my vote in for the style of Irons on the SS. I wish those (which were present on older SIG 550s) are by far my preferred reserve sights. Optics are 99.999 reliable unless you buy garbage. Elaborate backup sighting systems are unnecessary in my opinion. I like the way they fold away, and are only there for the most extreme situations where you have broken your optic, but sill need your rifle.
    Let those who are fond of blaming and finding fault, while they sit safely at home, ask, ‘Why did you not do thus and so?’I wish they were on this voyage; I well believe that another voyage of a different kind awaits them.”

Christopher Columbus

Feedback Score
    I have purchased a 19 inch 6.5 creedmoor recently. Building it as Cooper intended is a bit difficult. I could not find a .308 in stock through my dealer. The sling swivels are not widely available, and so I am awaiting a Ching sling with included swivels. I put a Vickers sling on it and like how it works for now. It carries like an AR with that sling, but isn’t quite the shooting aid I hope the Ching is. Still it works well with my “software”. I pulled a scout scope off my M1A and planned to install it, but while low rings work on the M1A, the Steyr will need medium rings or a smaller scope. The VXR I had hoped for, is now showing unavailable, and the company is not returning emails. That seems a dead end. I put a Leupold VX5 HD 1-5, firedot plex with CDS, on the gun and will try a few loads this week. When I get it sorted out, I will send in for a turret.
    I hope to throw together a scout scope, and a more long range option for this and finish it out as a versatile kit. It begs for some rattle can camo some day.
    Last edited by Rmorris; 02-28-21 at 16:03.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Rmorris View Post
    The sling swivels are not widely available, and so I am awaiting a Ching sling with included swivels.
    If you bought the rifle new, it should have had 3 swivels included. Steyr does list them from time to time on their site

I put a Vickers sling on it and like how it works for now. It carries like an AR with that sling, but isn’t quite the shooting aid I hope the Ching is.
    The Ching sling is a great shooting aid. But if you like to carry the rifle slung a lot, not the greatest carry sling. Andy's Rhodesian is a good compromise if you want to stick with leather. another alternative is the Galco Riflemann sling. well thought out carry and shooting aid, but not leather.

I have used all 3, liked them all. Each has their strengths and weaknesses.

I pulled a scout scope off my M1A and planned to install it, but while low rings work on the M1A, the Steyr will need medium rings or a smaller scope. The VXR I had hoped for, is now showing unavailable, and the company is not returning emails. That seems a dead end.
    Right now, if you want a forward mounted scope as advocated by Cooper, I believe your only options are the Burris scopes at this time. Leupold discontinued their FXII scout scope that could be mounted with low rings on the Steyr as Cooper advocated this year, and the VXR scout scope (heavy, but best scout scope to date) about a year ago or more. right now, both will only be available on the used market.

Leupold does have the VX-Freedom 1.4 - 4x intermediate eye relief scope still. https://www.leupold.com/vx-freedom-1...lex-riflescope

LPVOs are a legitimate option even if your goal is to stay with Cooper's concept as close as possible. He was a big advocate of the fix 4x scopes. Some of his reasons for fixed do not appear to exist any longer. that being they are fragile and easily broken.

When using an LPVO the jury is still out on the snap shot with one, and you do need to mount the scope higher off the bore than ideal, so you can work the bolt. It may also impact quick load one, shoot one depending on skill, scope etc. Watch out for excess weight when you look at this option, and since the rifle isn't meant to be a long range sniper rifle, I would keep it max 4 to 6x personally. Given the ranges one typically hunts, and the rifle is ideal for, ballistic reticles may nor may not add anything for you except cost. and poorly designed ones can end up cluttering your viewing space. however, this is a rapidly evolving area of scopes, tomorrow may bring a different story/thought.

Ultimately, this is YOUR rifle. Scope it and sling it as you choose, but I like your idea of trying to start as close as possible to what Cooper envisioned to start out. the better you understand the original intentions, the better the odds any deviation you make will not detract from the overall package.
    Last edited by 1859sharps; 02-28-21 at 20:12.

Feedback Score
    Snap shooting is not difficult with an LPVO of good quality. The last class I was able to attend was with Pat McNamara and myself and another guy both of us running LPVO’s had the fastest clean practice and final runs on his carbine challenge course of fire. Everyone else was shooting red dot sights. Unfortunately due to range size limitations a max distance on that course of fire was maybe 25-30 yards because we had to set up cover and barricades to incorporate movement, force reloads, etc. In that scenario you’d expect red dots to dominate, but sample size of 2/15 that wasn’t the case.

Regardless of top end power on a variable optic, but particularly on an LPVO, the user has to drill into themselves to always turn the scope down to minimum power whatever that might be. If a far target presents itself you either make the shot as best you can at low magnification, or turn it up to get a better view of what you’re doing. Conversely if you have it set on max magnification all the time and you need to put a hole in something up close and fast it’s going to be awkward at best. So some self discipline is required.

Not all LPVO’s will live happily in low rings on a rifle, some will without issue. Depends on the dimensions, and you won’t really know until it’s time to mock up your rig before you final mount everything. My trusty old Leupold VX-III 2.5-8X36 lived happily on my old Steyr Scout in low rings and I never had any issues with busted knuckles running the bolt, nor interference with single loading, or ejection. The little Leupold is a trim light compact scope, and the ocular housing isn’t a giant monstrosity.

If a 1-8X24 is in your budget that is the route I would go because the only current 1-10 offering is chunky and heavy. I also wouldn’t rule out a 1-6X24. As long as the optic in question doesn’t interfere with bolt manipulation, or weigh as much as the rifle there’s no downside to the extra magnification up top as long as the reticle is well designed and the glass is good. If the Scout is supposed to be a multi purpose Jack of all trades, then in my opinion pairing it with a 1-6, or 1-8 (maybe a 1-10 when you can get one that doesn’t weigh 2lbs all said and done) is giving your multi purpose bolt gun a great multi purpose sight.

Feedback Score
    Coal, this is the closest I can find to the model you mention. is this it? an updated version? https://www.leupold.com/shop/riflesc...ln_series=2197

Leupold's line is a bit thin on candidates for scout scopes of any type. All but one of the VX-3i line is discontinued. nothing with an advertised true 1x until the VX-5HD line. Competition line has some as well.

While not a true 1x, the https://www.leupold.com/vx-3hd-1-5-5x20-cds-zl-duplex hold some promise, particularly in the weight department.

The debate on magnification would be a never ending circle, however it is important to keep somethings in mind.

scout rifles are not sniper rifles.
    Cooper envisioned the rifle being used within the capabilities of 20/20 unaided vision.
    typical targets you will be engaging will not need a whole lot of magnification.
    magnification does not make one shoot better.
    in the fields you are shooting for a zone often defined as 6 or even sometimes 8 inches "circles", and are interested in solid one shot hits, not a string of fire in as small a group as possible. this isn't bench rest.

having said that...

While I am not sure a 10x counts as an LPVO (but if it does, it logically would be the max for something to be an LPVO) ....but I would be lying if I were to say I hadn't thought along the lines you express when mentioning the 1x to 10x scope. right now, if your goal is a light, handy rifle, the few offerings in this class fail to stay within any lighter is better goal/mindset. So, for use with a scout rifle as Cooper advocated they are a non starter. But tomorrow? who knows. on the other hand, it is your rifle, if you don't care about the scout concept, don't care that your rifle will be significantly heavier, have fun. it's your rifle, your pocket book.

if I haven't mentioned it before...scopes are the biggest weak link in the scout rifle concept. while personally I don't see it as an issue that you might change out scopes on a GP rifle to "tune" the rifle a bit to a task...it does kind of defeat the purpose of having a rifle all setup and ready to go...able to handle many different tasks, of which you will have no idea as to what they are until presented. Conceptually, the envisioned forward mounted scope should be able to do that. no one is developing them, so they do not at this time. So that leaves us with LPVOs. they are rapidly being developed and may reach a point they can be the one scope that goes on your rifle that can handle just about anything. time will tell.

Feedback Score
    The optic you linked is the current Leupold iteration of the 2.5-8X36 I have although mine doesn’t have a throw lever on the power ring. Fine little scope, currently mounted on a Cooper M57 .22LR where it will stay.

On the upper end of LPVO’s and when they are no longer an LPVO as far as I’m concerned if the bottom end is giving 1-1.5X it’s a low power variable, because it can perform that function. At least assuming the optics are up to the task of giving a good image over the magnification range. Which right now means you’re going to spend as much or more on the glass as you did the rifle. The current best candidates are the Swarovski Z8i, and Nightforce NX8 if you want to stay down in the 17oz compact 1-8X24 range. There are others that offer more optical features like the Vortex Razor 1-10 but you gain weight to get it. None of them are cheap.

With more magnification you do gain the ability to see distant targets better, extend your ability to positively ID targets, find low contrast targets, and shoot in less than ideal lighting conditions. Does the magnification make you inherently a better shot? Of course not. Does it make the rifle and ammo more accurate? Strictly speaking no. Will it help a competent shooter to get the most they can within their capabilities out of the rifle? In many cases yes, and as long as low end optical performance isn’t sacrificed , and weight and size aren’t ridiculous, having more magnification up top never hurts.

Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ... 91011