Page 1 of 11 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Ok, I'm getting another Steyr Scout.

Feedback Score
    24 (100%)

Ok, I'm getting another Steyr Scout.

Hey guys,

I have been lusting after another scout. After a few abortive attempts I found a new Mud one for $1300. I am going to try out a Leupold fixed 4x scope in the standard position this time. If I don't like it I will sell it off and put a Scout Scope on it. I also ordered a thread Adaptor for my surefire can, a light mount for the UIT rail, a Ching sling from the awesome Andy's slings, and some Tally Scout rings.

Absurdly, I have lost track of all the scouts I have owned....here is a list of what I can remember.

I had two Steyr Scouts for years back in the early 00s. Don't ask why I had two. I sold them to buy my M16
    I had a Springfield M14 Scout. A pig and I had to replace the damn extractor after less than 500 rounds.
    I had a THIRD Steyr Scout that I took with me to Alaska. I have no idea why I sold it, maybe to buy a car.
    I had a Ruger GS. The bolt was a mess and I had to get rid of it.
    I had a Second Ruger Scout synthetic. I had to ship it back to get the bolt not to bind. but after that it was cool. Can't recall why I sold it. I had a firedot on it.
    I had an AWESOME Brockman 1895 Marlin "scout" with 16 inch barrel and scout scope. NEVER should have sold that gun.

Anyway, my stuff should be hear early next week if my house doesn't blow away.
    Let those who are fond of blaming and finding fault, while they sit safely at home, ask, ‘Why did you not do thus and so?’I wish they were on this voyage; I well believe that another voyage of a different kind awaits them.”

Christopher Columbus

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    why not a ruger american that takes a detachable mag?

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    I have always admired the Steyr Scout rifles and thought it would be a neat addition to the family. But something else always came up that took my money. I do have an early 70's Winchester Model 94 30-30 that I have pondered turning into a scout rifle. It is just so light and handy it is begging for the scout rifle treatment.
    Philippians 2:10-11

To argue with a person who renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead. ~ Thomas Paine

“The greatest conspiracy theory is the notion that your government cares about you”- unknown.

Feedback Score
    24 (100%)
    Untitled by stoiclawyer, on Flickr

Came in today. I ran about 15 rounds to check the irons and test fitted the scope tonight. I will do some more formal testing this weekend then properly mount/loctite everything.

So far I am digging the general handling of the 4x fixed Leupold.

One negative, the Steyr Thread adaptor doesn't seem to fit.
    Let those who are fond of blaming and finding fault, while they sit safely at home, ask, ‘Why did you not do thus and so?’I wish they were on this voyage; I well believe that another voyage of a different kind awaits them.”

Christopher Columbus

Feedback Score
    That is a sharp looking rifle. I have the Ruger Scout that wears a fixed 2.5 scout scope. That fixed 4x Leapold looks nice, I did not even know they made one outside of there rimfire line. I use there 2-7 on my 7.62x39 American but I pretty much leave it on the 4 power setting all the time. Enjoy.

Feedback Score
    I had a Steyr Scout once, never should have sold it.

Should probably get another one and slap a good LPV optic on it since the Scout Scope I had was really not to my liking.

Feedback Score
    24 (100%)
    Honestly, I didn't close the deal to buy another one until I found this 4x Leupold. I do not like variables, and I have had some good ones (VCOG, Zeiss Victory, Trijicon Accupoint). I just hate fiddling. I love the ACOG on my SCAR and my aim points. My previous scouts all had 2.5s which were pretty great. But I wanted to try the 4x this time. It had a very flexible eye relief, and it helps the balance of the rifle. I Practice shooting plates with my Ruger american with 4x Nixon and it is pretty fast, even close up. Always fun trying something out.

Christopher Columbus

Feedback Score
    I just leave variables on the lowest setting unless I need to crank up more magnification.

If a target is close low power works great, and I can address it as quickly as possible. If I need more magnification the target is further away, and probably unaware, and that probably also means that I have time to fiddle as you put it.

Feedback Score
    24 (100%)
    I am just too lazy to develop the appropriate habits for working a variable. It's just personal preference, not claiming I know better than anyone.

I tried to mount a picitany rail where the UIT rail is and it really isn't very useful. If you leave it in place it makes it uncomfortable to handle, if you mount a light you have to remove the sling. Back to the drawing board. What I would like is a good way to mount a light and laser.

Christopher Columbus

Feedback Score
    24 (100%)
    Got her zeroed about an inch high with some military surplus. Next weekend I will fine tune it with some 175 gr match. Everything is looking pretty good. The trigger has a touch of creep, but nothing bad, just not perfect. Hopefully Steyr gets my new suppressor adaptor next week then I can start working on finding a low profile IR laser to clamp on it.

Christopher Columbus

Page 1 of 11 123 ... LastLast