Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Ok, I'm getting another Steyr Scout.

Feedback Score
    That is most certainly a beautiful rifle Greg Bell. Those Steyr Scouts are classics, that are worth every penny. I do not own one, sure wish I did, but a shooting buddy of mine does. I ran a few rounds through his gun, and really was impressed at the quality "feel" of the gun.

I own several bolt guns, and although they shoot well for me, none of them have the feel that his Steyr has. Ruger and others have done their best to replicate the Steyr, and even though they are fine rifles in their own right, they are not a Steyr.
    Good night Chesty...wherever you are.

Feedback Score
    24 (100%)
    I called steyr about the thread adapter not fitting in they sent me a new one in the mail with a return sticker for the old one —the new one fit perfectly.

Unfortunately I noticed after zeroing the scope and getting the eye relief set correctly the low Talley rings just barely...I mean barely would not clear the bolt handle. So I am sending them back for mediums. Damn!
    Let those who are fond of blaming and finding fault, while they sit safely at home, ask, ‘Why did you not do thus and so?’I wish they were on this voyage; I well believe that another voyage of a different kind awaits them.”

Christopher Columbus

Feedback Score
    24 (100%)
    Got my medium Tally rings on: perfect. Really enjoying this rifle. Next week: subsonic 308 fun.

Untitled by stoiclawyer, on Flickr
    Let those who are fond of blaming and finding fault, while they sit safely at home, ask, ‘Why did you not do thus and so?’I wish they were on this voyage; I well believe that another voyage of a different kind awaits them.”

Christopher Columbus

Feedback Score
    32 (100%)
    That Steyr Scout just looks weird with a traditionally mounted scope.
    " Nil desperandum - Never Despair. That is a motto for you and me. All are not dead; and where there is a spark of patriotic fire, we will rekindle it. "
    - Samuel Adams -

Feedback Score
    24 (100%)
    Agreed. But it improves the balance and honestly, a good 4x with generous eye relief is just a little more versatile in my opinion.

Christopher Columbus

Feedback Score
    A Steyr Scout in 6.5mm Creedmoor has been announced, might be a nice addition to the line.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by MountainRaven View Post
    That Steyr Scout just looks weird with a traditionally mounted scope.
    It may look "weird" but having experience with both, I will take a traditionally mounted scope every time. The new brown Steyr looks awesome!

The same concept of an all around "practical rifle" is what I recently did the final fine tuning on my daughter's rifle. Three scopes later, (Leupolds are fine if you aren't twisting turrets) we have opted for a fixed 6X SWFA MIL/MIL on her 20" T3 .308 tikka. She LOVES it.

The handiness of a light, short bolt gun, appropriately scoped is something that cannot be understated in my opinion after having used one in the field for quite a good period of time. I have used mine on everything for Jackrabbits to elk, and been very satisfied.

The Steyr should make a great all around gun with the 4x Leupod on it.
    THE CHAIR IS AGAINST THE WALL.

Feedback Score
    12 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Greg Bell View Post
    Honestly, I didn't close the deal to buy another one until I found this 4x Leupold. I do not like variables, and I have had some good ones (VCOG, Zeiss Victory, Trijicon Accupoint). I just hate fiddling. I love the ACOG on my SCAR and my aim points. My previous scouts all had 2.5s which were pretty great. But I wanted to try the 4x this time. It had a very flexible eye relief, and it helps the balance of the rifle. I Practice shooting plates with my Ruger american with 4x Nixon and it is pretty fast, even close up. Always fun trying something out.
    Greg, what kind of 2.5x fixed were you running? I love ACOGs, but I imagine they would be ungainly/balance weirdly on a Steyr Scout.

Feedback Score
    Old thread but I do love my Steyr Scout. I also have a traditionallyl mounted scope, Swarovski 1x6. My only question is where can you get those detachable sling swivels now? Millett used to make them but they are discontinued.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by TheAlsatian View Post
    Old thread but I do love my Steyr Scout. I also have a traditionallyl mounted scope, Swarovski 1x6. My only question is where can you get those detachable sling swivels now? Millett used to make them but they are discontinued.
    Give Andy a shout
    https://www.andysleather.com/

Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast