Page 5 of 11 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: Ok, I'm getting another Steyr Scout.

Feedback Score
    9 (91%)
    The ONE thing I’d change on the Burris is to illuminate the reticle.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Feedback Score
    24 (100%)
    I agree, an illuminated reticle or firedot would be a great addition as long as it didn't add too much bulk.
    Let those who are fond of blaming and finding fault, while they sit safely at home, ask, ‘Why did you not do thus and so?’I wish they were on this voyage; I well believe that another voyage of a different kind awaits them.”

Christopher Columbus

Feedback Score
    24 (100%)
    I figured I would update this old thread.

I have transitioned back to my 4x scope. I like both but really I appreciate the extra magnification over the speed bump. I also have been experimenting with a Vicker's sling on the gun. I have an excellent Ching Sling from Andy's but I never really use it. And if you aren't using it, the extra loop is just a pain in the ass. I might transition back at some point. The gun remains amazing. Just a wondrous little GP rifle. Function has been 100 percent and the accuracy is excellent with everything from surplus to soft points.

I have an old Pic offset mound I ground down to fit. I sometimes run a flashight or CT laser/flashlight combo there depending on what I am up to.

I finally fit the side saddle on there. I got it used from someone online. It really is a cheesy piece of kit. The screws cut into the mag well so if you want to run ten round mags you need different screws. I don't run 10 rounders so this isn't an issue. I don't think Steyr makes this thing anymore. If you want one you could easily make one by taking out the stock insert and mounting someone else's, probably better made, side saddle. You might also mount a little m1carbine style bag over there.

Steyr 2021 by stoiclawyer, on Flickr

Scout 2021 Side Saddle by stoiclawyer, on Flickr
    Let those who are fond of blaming and finding fault, while they sit safely at home, ask, ‘Why did you not do thus and so?’I wish they were on this voyage; I well believe that another voyage of a different kind awaits them.”

Christopher Columbus

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Thank you for the update. I've been interested in these guns for a long time. Could you post a pic of your light mount?

Feedback Score
    Is Steyr offering a 22 inch 308win or is it only 6.5 creed. .... thank you.

Feedback Score
    9 (91%)
    I think that’s correct. .308 is a 19” barrel.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Greg Bell View Post
    I also have been experimenting with a Vicker's sling on the gun. I have an excellent Ching Sling from Andy's
    I would be interested in hearing how your experiments go.

For those not up on scout rifle concept, the Cooper promoted slings are much more of a shooting aid, and much less about carrying the rifle. Andy's Leather makes excellent leather slings that are designed as shooting slings. The Rhodesian works well as both a carry and shooting sling. The Ching and CW slings make much better shooting slings than carry. I have used the Rhodesian and Ching.

The Ching works very well as a shooting sling, but I have to agree when not actually using it, it can be a bit of a pain. Which has led me to experimenting with the Galco RifleMann sling.
    https://youtu.be/6OI_aNbs294 it is another shooting sling, but also seems to double very well as a carry sling. Looks like it will give the best of both worlds with no down sides so far.

I finally fit the side saddle on there. I got it used from someone online. It really is a cheesy piece of kit. The screws cut into the mag well so if you want to run ten round mags you need different screws. I don't run 10 rounders so this isn't an issue. I don't think Steyr makes this thing anymore. If you want one you could easily make one by taking out the stock insert and mounting someone else's, probably better made, side saddle. You might also mount a little m1carbine style bag over there.
    If people want a stock mounted ammo carry option, check out https://versacarry.com/ammo-caddy/
    https://youtu.be/qv0Se1GBmyc

if you like leather options, Andy's leather has one.
    Last edited by 1859sharps; 01-06-21 at 15:06.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by mtscout View Post
    Is Steyr offering a 22 inch 308win or is it only 6.5 creed. .... thank you.
    the 19 or 20 inch options work fine for the goals of the scout rifle concept. it is a balance of performance of the cartridge and handling friendliness. as the barrel length increases, you start to loose friendliness. Though some cartridges do need the extra couple inches and Cooper acknowledged that. my two cents...don't look for the extra length unless the cartridge (such as .243) needs it.
    Last edited by 1859sharps; 01-06-21 at 15:10.

Feedback Score
    24 (100%)
    I like that guy's channel and I enjoyed his book on Scouts. I will say the sling looks a bit busy, but I might have to try it out. I might try out a Rhodesian. I like Andy and I want to throw his some business.

I will keep my side saddle. I really only plan on using it when I am going out to shoot plates but want to shoot some hunting ammo to confirm zero. Usually it's just empty.

Christopher Columbus

Feedback Score
    I like that guy's channel and I enjoyed his book on Scouts. I will say the sling looks a bit busy, but I might have to try it out. I might try out a Rhodesian. I like Andy and I want to throw his some business.

I will keep my side saddle. I really only plan on using it when I am going out to shoot plates but want to shoot some hunting ammo to confirm zero. Usually it's just empty.
    I am still getting to know the Riflemann sling, but so far I like it. But yes, it is a bit busy.

I do have several of Andy's Rhodesian slings, can't recommend them enough.

Page 5 of 11 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast