Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Which upper ?

Feedback Score
    11 (92%)
    Quote Originally Posted by jppaul16438 View Post
    Because Im looking for the best option to get someone started in shooting without spending $1500. Not everyone have unlimited funds. Also I have quality already, I own a FN Tactical, Colt 6920 SL & a Daniel Defense SLW V7, So I got those bases covered.
    A lot of ways to do it without spending 1.5K. I don't care what you have. You are pushing junk off on your acquaintance. If he/she can't afford to by it he probably cannot afford to shoot it!

Feedback Score
    45 (100%)
    Out of those choices, Sabre Defense would be my choice, they put out good stuff before running afoul with the law. Stag would be number 2.
    Gettin' down innagrass.
    Let's Go Brandon!

Feedback Score
    88 (100%)
    So you have a few good ARs but the upper is for an acquaintance, does he/she have any other firearms? I know you said general plinking, but if this is the first gun for someone, I'd have to agree with the Colt 6960 recommendation from Brownells. They'll probably have a code within the next two weeks that will drop it under $500 and if he/she registers with Active Junky, it'll be even cheaper. If this isn't the first firearm and your acquaintance has at least one or two solid guns that can serve a defensive role, then I'd go with a cheaper PSA option. They've had regular uppers on sale for $200-270 for weeks now, all of which include BCG and CH and the more expensive of those including MBUS sights. Keep the Colt as a spare. I got one of the blem A2 uppers a few weeks ago and have put a little over 500 rounds through it since, without issue. It was $199 shipped and only needed a rear iron sight. It also feels to be gassed very well. There is a recent thread on PSA uppers worth looking at. The only reason I am not recommending the Stag or a CHF PSA is because then you start getting in the price range of the Colt 6960 and those are much harder to justify when that is such a good deal, IMO.
    Sic semper tyrannis.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    I also recommend none of the above.

I got one of the $700 FDE 6920s, and it's worked well so far (150 rounds). The only flaw is a botched bolt catch roll pin installation, which doesn't affect function.

I also snagged an LE6920-R when they were well under $800, so there's absolutely no reason to buy a cheap AR now. If you wait a while, a great rifle will come along that'll be ready for serious use...not just plinking.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by jppaul16438 View Post
    I will let the person Im building it for know about this upper.

I wouldn't run around posting that I was building weapons for people. Primarily because the boards are read by people who enforce firearm laws, and they make take issue with what appears to be violations.

If you think it can't happen, you are wrong.

Since you are just buying an upper, SD had a good name, though I know nothing about the assembly or parts used by that company. Stag should do well for your ... client?
    Stick

Board policy mandates I state that I shoot for BCM. I have also done work for 200 or so manufacturers within the firearm community. I am prior service, a full time LEO, firearm instructor, armorer, TL, martial arts instructor, and all around good guy.

I also shoot and write for various publications. Let me know if you know cool secrets or have toys worthy of an article...

Flickr Tumblr Facebook Instagram RECOILMAGAZINE OFF GRID RECOIL WEB

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Stickman View Post
    I wouldn't run around posting that I was building weapons for people. Primarily because the boards are read by people who enforce firearm laws, and they make take issue with what appears to be violations.

If you think it can't happen, you are wrong.

Since you are just buying an upper, SD had a good name, though I know nothing about the assembly or parts used by that company. Stag should do well for your ... client?
    I just helping him get the parts together, He is going to build it.

Feedback Score
    25 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by titsonritz View Post
    Out of those choices, Sabre Defense would be my choice, they put out good stuff before running afoul with the law. Stag would be number 2.
    ^This. People need to read up some on Sabre Defence. They manufactured M16A2 and M2 barrels for the government under contract. I have 2x of their 20" A2 barrels and they shoot very well for a chrome-lined barrel.

Feedback Score
    41 (100%)
    Are those actual Sabre Defense uppers, or some new outfit who is using the Sabre name? Sounds kind of iffy to me.. If they are real deal Sabre uppers, I would say go for it. If not, out of the options listed Stag would be my next pick.

Feedback Score
    For a general plinker:

https://www.brownells.com/rifle-part...acturer_1=colt

A colt 6920 upper, without BCG or charging handle. On sale for $399
    -Colt 6920 w/Aimpoint PRO

Feedback Score
    88 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Zirk208 View Post
    For a general plinker:

https://www.brownells.com/rifle-part...acturer_1=colt

A colt 6920 upper, without BCG or charging handle. On sale for $399
    Actually a good point, I forgot they had that now too.
    Sic semper tyrannis.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast