Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Noob question: Colt SP1 and old age factor

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

Question Noob question: Colt SP1 and old age factor

Hello again,

LGS just put a consignment rifle on the wall today, a Colt SP1. I’m going in to see it this weekend, and possibly pick it up.

In days of old when I was in the Air Force, we had Model 604 rifles, so I have a soft spot for the SP1.

However, these are all pretty old now, they haven’t made them for decades. Question: would opting for an AR15A4 rifle (LGS has Colts in those, too,) be a wiser use of my money? I quit collecting last year, and just like to shoot, now. Would an A4 serve me better than an SP1 for shooting longevity?

Our old armorer had served in the US Army as well, and he once told me, “anodizing hardens the outside of the rifle, but only the outside; the inside will wear down and wear out as the years pass, and with regular, repeated use. That’s why so many of our rifles are loose and rattle.”

Is this true?

These factors make me wary of the SP1. They have been around for a very long time, and have aged.

Feedback Score
    104 (100%)
    Your old armorer was an idiot. An old SP1 is going to wear exactly as the AR15 A4 you are referring to. If you want a shooter, the SP1 isn't really it as they are more in the collectible realm. If you want the daily shooter/abuser a newer one will be what you want.

Quote Originally Posted by Buncheong View Post
    Hello again,

LGS just put a consignment rifle on the wall today, a Colt SP1. I’m going in to see it this weekend, and possibly pick it up.

In days of old when I was in the Air Force, we had Model 604 rifles, so I have a soft spot for the SP1.

However, these are all pretty old now, they haven’t made them for decades. Question: would opting for an AR15A4 rifle (LGS has Colts in those, too,) be a wiser use of my money? I quit collecting last year, and just like to shoot, now. Would an A4 serve me better than an SP1 for shooting longevity?

Our old armorer had served in the US Army as well, and he once told me, “anodizing hardens the outside of the rifle, but only the outside; the inside will wear down and wear out as the years pass, and with regular, repeated use. That’s why so many of our rifles are loose and rattle.”

Is this true?

These factors make me wary of the SP1. They have been around for a very long time, and have aged.

Owner/Instructor at Semper Paratus Arms

Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/SemperParatusArms/

Semper Paratus Arms AR15 Armorer Course http://www.semperparatusarms.com/cou...-registration/

M4C Misc. Training and Course Announcements- http://www.m4carbine.net/forumdisplay.php?f=141

Master Armorer/R&D at SIONICS Weapon Systems- http://sionicsweaponsystems.com

Feedback Score
    12 (93%)
    The SP1 has a pencil barrel, no brass deflector or forward assist and has a fixed carry handle. I have one and they are cool to look at and shoot occasionally. I wouldn't take mine out to shoot regularly. I would get the A4 with heavy barrel, round hand guards and flat top upper receiver- at least you will be closer to 2018 and not 1965.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Question: would opting for an AR15A4 rifle (LGS has Colts in those, too,) be a wiser use of my money? I quit collecting last year, and just like to shoot, now. Would an A4 serve me better than an SP1 for shooting longevity?
    Wouldn't the SP1 have a 1 in 12 twist rate? If so not optimal for a wide range of bullet weights. As IG said, better off with a current rifle for a shooter.
    Patriotism means to stand by the country. It does not mean to stand by the President... - Theodore Roosevelt, Lincoln and Free Speech, Metropolitan Magazine, Volume 47, Number 6, May 1918.

Every Communist must grasp the truth. Political power grows out of the barrel of a gun. Our principle is that the Party commands the gun, and the gun must never be allowed to command the Party Mao Zedong, 6 November, 1938 - speech to the Communist Patry of China's sixth Central Committee

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Hello again,

1- LGS just put a consignment rifle on the wall today, a Colt SP1. I’m going in to see it this weekend, and possibly pick it up.

2- In days of old when I was in the Air Force, we had Model 604 rifles, so I have a soft spot for the SP1.Question: would opting for an AR15A4 rifle (LGS has Colts in those, too,) be a wiser use of my money? I quit collecting last year, and just like to shoot, now. Would an A4 serve me better than an SP1 for shooting longevity?

3- Our old armorer had served in the US Army as well, and he once told me, “anodizing hardens the outside of the rifle, but only the outside; the inside will wear down and wear out as the years pass, and with regular, repeated use. That’s why so many of our rifles are loose and rattle.”

Is this true?

1- What was the condition and price?

2- If you aren't looking at putting an optic on it, and don't mind shooting 55 grain ammo for most of your needs, the SP1 is every bit as functional now as it was when used in its combat form. There is no shooting longevity in this scenario unless the SP1 appears to be a totally fried piece of garbage. That doesn't mean you might not need to replace the main action spring as preventative maintenance, but that is no big deal. I doubt that would even be an issue.

3- Your unit armorer is partially correct. Anodizing does harden the outside of aluminum, but it isn't a paint, it is a bath which the pieces are placed in and all sides are hardened. The center of the piece does not get harder, but all side do. Your rifles rattling are from usage, and in many cases, the weapons rattled or were loose even when they were brand new. Not every AR15 has super tight upper and lower fit when it comes out of the box, and I would guess a new AR15A4 would have play between the upper and lower to some degree.

I mentioned above that the SP1 is a highly functional weapon, and if your stirred memories are important, and would get your out shooting more often, I say go for it. Sure you will find 55 grain ammunition shoots best in it, but that is what most people buy anyway. The last and cleanest estimate I've heard for the Vietnam war is that we killed 1.1 million bad guys. While air power and arty did a bulk of that, it doesn't change the SP1 style weapon with its 55 grain ammo put a hurt on Communism quite nicely.

To long to read? If you want a scope, get the AR15A4, if not, use 55 grain ammo and slay your way to cardboard and paper victory with the SP1.

PS- I own both, and love my SP1.
    Stick

Board policy mandates I state that I shoot for BCM. I have also done work for 200 or so manufacturers within the firearm community. I am prior service, a full time LEO, firearm instructor, armorer, TL, martial arts instructor, and all around good guy.

I also shoot and write for various publications. Let me know if you know cool secrets or have toys worthy of an article...

Flickr Tumblr Facebook Instagram RECOILMAGAZINE OFF GRID RECOIL WEB

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    I think Stock and Iraqgunz both kinda hit it. I guess it comes down to the price of the sp1 but I personally agree with Iraqgunz in saying it is more of a collectible gun. The AR15A4 should be a bit cheaper and if you are buying it as a shooting that would be my choice. Really as long as the sp1 is in pretty good shape the only thing that might need to be replaced is springs.

So as a shooting gun I'd go with the newer gun and put the money saved into ammo, maybe towards an optic if you want one, or other accessories.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Price was originally $1100 when I talked to the clerk but since, seller upped the price tag to $1500. Looks nice outside, I’d like to see the BCG and receiver interior, but have to wait for the owner (who works p/t in the shop) to come in Monday.

Meanwhile, the Colt AR15A4 is calling me @ $1150, too, so...

Thanks to all of you for the excellent information, you’ve given me much to think about and consider. I very much appreciate the time you’ve taken to write up and share your thoughts, here. Much obliged!

Feedback Score
    Hello again,

Is this true?

No offense, but that’s literally the dumbest shit I’ve ever heard. Also, you can get the A4’s for quite a bit cheaper than that online. More in $1K out the door range.
    Last edited by DoubleW; 09-22-18 at 18:51.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Price was originally $1100 when I talked to the clerk but since, seller upped the price tag to $1500.

Meanwhile, the Colt AR15A4 is calling me @ $1150, too, so...

Much obliged!
    I would tell the place that raising the price after i had looked at it was an attempt to screw me, and they could pound sand.

You should be able to get the Colt M16A4 a bit cheaper, but I wouldn't argue over saving $50 or so in a brick and mortar store.

Here is a story for you. My buddy is the owner and founder of Rainier Arms. When there was panic buying a few years back, one of the employees sold a personal weapon down there at a very high price. The owner of Rainier Arms made the employee call the purchaser back up, and refund the money. He would not allow the store to be part of price gouging/ screwing people. It sounds like the shop there needs to understand the same thing. I might be interested in the SP1, though unless it is immaculate it should be closer to $800. No matter how you slice it, it is simply an old weapon, and I would let them know that.

Sounds like you need to look at the Colt AR15A4.

Stick

Board policy mandates I state that I shoot for BCM. I have also done work for 200 or so manufacturers within the firearm community. I am prior service, a full time LEO, firearm instructor, armorer, TL, martial arts instructor, and all around good guy.

I also shoot and write for various publications. Let me know if you know cool secrets or have toys worthy of an article...

Flickr Tumblr Facebook Instagram RECOILMAGAZINE OFF GRID RECOIL WEB

Feedback Score
    104 (100%)
    Not sure I would pay 1150.00 for an AR15A4. I'd probably do some shopping and check someplace like Gunbroker first.

Owner/Instructor at Semper Paratus Arms

Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/SemperParatusArms/

Semper Paratus Arms AR15 Armorer Course http://www.semperparatusarms.com/cou...-registration/

M4C Misc. Training and Course Announcements- http://www.m4carbine.net/forumdisplay.php?f=141

Master Armorer/R&D at SIONICS Weapon Systems- http://sionicsweaponsystems.com

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast