Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: WoW, The AR Game Has Changed.. Is There Any Book That Covers Modern Day AR-15 Builds?

Feedback Score

WoW, The AR Game Has Changed.. Is There Any Book That Covers Modern Day AR-15 Builds?

Greetings All,

I have been outta the game for a very, very long time..

I mean when I left Colt 6920 was considered the ultimate and ONLY 110% rifle built to mil-spec, Magpul CTR/MOE was the epitomy of stocks, Daniel Defense was barely at the DDM4v3 and that was HUGE!!

Fast Fwd to the last 2-3 years and all that stuff is ancient history now...

Is the Magpul CTR/MOE even relevant or even considered for use?

Rifle tech and tools have changed..

Is there any one book that reflects that? There are a crap ton of books out there, but they all seem specifically PRE-2010 focused.. The modern tools didn't exist and aren't even mentioned in these books.

Is there a very much recommended book tht covers a modern day AR-15 build?

Lots of the reviews on the past top of the line books always seem to include this line, "this book doesn't mention any of the new tools or techniques for modern rifle building by todays standards" or a variation of that line..

let me know?

oNe

p.s. for kicks and giggles, what replaced the CTR/MOE???

Feedback Score
    I still use MOE(Colt 6720) I also have 2 guns with free float set ups. It doesn’t matter what’s in style. Rambo can outshoot me with a muddy AK.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    There's really nothing gained, in my opinion, with the most current ARs. I don't even consider an AR without a fixed FSB to be a "serious" use AR. (no offense to the LPVO gays)

I really liked the 10.5 New Zealand upper that Brownells sells. Pappabear got one, and it was refreshing to get back to a good old pic railed upper. If it was FSB, I'd buy 3 of them.
    "What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Sean Price View Post
    Is there a very much recommended book tht covers a modern day AR-15 build?
    Yes, there is. I'm serious about this, get a Brownell's AR15/M16 Catalog #10 or their big book and look through the first 100 pages or so.

Here is the link to the PDF big book: https://www.brownells.com/.aspx/bapi...atalog-71-pdfs

I'm serious, this gives you a pretty good idea of what is out there.

Here is some other stuff:

http://www.ar15builder.com/

https://www.brownells.com/aspx/learn...aspx?lid=11004

http://criterionbarrels.com/accurizi...5-video-series

Like you, I've been pretty disappointed in the selection of build books. A good overall user book IMO is Green Eyes Black Rifles.

Also, there are a couple of Armorer Courses available such as http://www.semperparatusarms.com/home/
    Patriotism means to stand by the country. It does not mean to stand by the President... - Theodore Roosevelt, Lincoln and Free Speech, Metropolitan Magazine, Volume 47, Number 6, May 1918.

Every Communist must grasp the truth. Political power grows out of the barrel of a gun. Our principle is that the Party commands the gun, and the gun must never be allowed to command the Party Mao Zedong, 6 November, 1938 - speech to the Communist Patry of China's sixth Central Committee

Feedback Score
    16 (100%)
    There isn't any printed hardcopy material that can keep up with the speed of recent changes in AR15 configurations/accessories, but holy cow does that Brownells catalog nearly have it all!

You basically missed quad rail vs slick rail, Keymod vs M-LOK, SBR vs pistol brace, short barrels are as accurate as long barrels, tapered vs government barrel profile, mid-length vs carbine-length gas system, adjustable gas blocks; the list goes on and on.
    Last edited by crosseyedshooter; 10-03-18 at 18:35.

Feedback Score
    ARs haven’t changed all that much. Companies are just marketing the shit out of stuff to separate fanboys from their money. I’ve mostly used the same rifle since ‘08. But swapped rails in ‘15 to shave a little weight to offset going from a T1 to Vortex. It still performs fine without changing much out though the barrel is about toast.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    45 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Sean Price View Post
    p.s. for kicks and giggles, what replaced the CTR/MOE???
    They are still around, but the MOE SL is the new rage.

and get yourself a copy of AR TM 9-1005-319-23&P (Nov 2008 is the latest I believe)
    Gettin' down innagrass.
    Let's Go Brandon!

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    The book you seek is the internet. Like the changes in the AR, so has information technology. Print material is almost dead.

Feedback Score
    I became interested in AR’s around the 2010-11 timeframe, and stuck with it since. Sounds like I got in around the time you stepped back.

Long story short, it seems many and perhaps even most, gravitate toward free floated rails using mlok or keymod slots sans FSB nowadays. Despite that trend, most shooters still acknowledge the 6920 and other quality makers that produce 6920 type rifles (BCM standard Carbine with fsb, and even BCM standard mid length with fsb) as a sound, reliable, and sure selection. The 6920 is probably still considered by most to be the “standard.”

Stocks like the BCM gunfighter and magpul SL seem to be the most common new stocks. MOE still works too.

Trends probably change faster than printed material can keep up. I’d suggest checking the AR picture thread, build thread, and technical forums on m4c for ideas about building or buying a “modern” AR.
    Last edited by magister; 10-03-18 at 19:55.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    For all the AR builds I've done, my midlength with fixed FSB, A1 stock and fat handguards, standard LPK and FCG (though the FCG has been polished up a bit), A2 suppressor, and no optics other than a DD A1.5 rear sight continues to be my favorite.

I have a Noveske/BCM hybrid that I built with reliability first priority, flexibility second, and cost third that is fun and works great for competition and varmint culling, plus... many more, but that Plain Jane Midlength (at a quarter of the price) still reigns as my favorite rifle.

Sure, the greater range of options are good for the consumers within a market, but on a personal level fifteen new muzzle devices on the market every month doesn't mean jack to me. Most of my magazines are Okay Industries with Magpul followers and Perma Slik on the inside, and they run just as well as Lancer, Tango Down, Troy, Magpul, better than ETS, and WAY better than ProMag or C-Products (or whatever they're calling themselves now).

Don't fall into the hype. Snobs would be willing to pay $150 for an artisnal sandwich with Spanish Red peanuts ground from Tamil-Nadu's early-November harvest and a mix of berries hand-picked from the northeasternmost corner of Germany on bread made by a 107-year-old great great grandmother who once personally knew Woodrow Wilson who only bakes one loaf a week.

Just saying.
    Sent from the future using Squid Telepathy

Quote Originally Posted by MistWolf View Post
    If we could control all the variables, we'd just put all the bad luck on our enemies and stay home.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast