Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: KAC SR-15 Mod2

Feedback Score
    13 (93%)

KAC SR-15 Mod2

I am interested in the SR-15 Mod2 and would like to know if the current Rifles are still utilizing over sized gas ports so they can reliably cycle non NATO pressure ammo?

TIA

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by O3SKILL View Post
    I am interested in the SR-15 Mod2 and would like to know if the current Rifles are still utilizing over sized gas ports so they can reliably cycle non NATO pressure ammo?

TIA
    There is a lot more to a gas system than just a simple hole in the barrel meeting up with the gas block. The complete system design comes together to make the weapon function. In terms of the KAC, that is more important to remember as they aren't looking to me "mil spec". Just something else to think about.

ETA- To answer your question directly, I don't know the existing port size for current KAC mod 2 barrels.
    Stick

Board policy mandates I state that I shoot for BCM. I have also done work for 200 or so manufacturers within the firearm community. I am prior service, a full time LEO, firearm instructor, armorer, TL, martial arts instructor, and all around good guy.

I also shoot and write for various publications. Let me know if you know cool secrets or have toys worthy of an article...

Flickr Tumblr Facebook Instagram RECOILMAGAZINE OFF GRID RECOIL WEB

Feedback Score
    Imo the Mod 1 & 2 are the same in terms of soft shooting and recoil. The Mod 2 gas system just eliminates any chance of a gas leak. I think the barrel length, gas tube /port size and dwell time are all about the same. In short, they shoot the same.

Mod 2 FTW

Last edited by Razorblade; 10-12-18 at 19:25.

Feedback Score
    17 (100%)
    I have a mod 2 and it doesn't seem to be overgassed. Pretty soft shooter.

Feedback Score
    My Mod 2 shoots pretty soft and .223 loads eject to about 4:00 and don’t go much more than 7-8 feet in a nice consistent area. Full power 5.56mm loads eject to 3:00-3:30 and go farther but still land in a nice consistent area. So if it’s over gassed it sure doesn’t manifest in ejection, nor does it manifest in brass condition: no dings, ejector marks or extractor marks. Looks like brass fired out of a bolt gun.

Currently have an AFAB mounted on the muzzle, very soft and flat shooting.

On a side note today’s abbreviated range session showed the 16” cold hammer forged chrome lined barrel continues to shoot anything I feed it into about 1.25”-1.5” groups for 5 shots at 100 yards with a 1-4X24 Nightforce NXS. Today it was IMI 77gr SMK’s and Barnes 70gr TSX. Both shot about the same groups, to the same POI at 100 yards interestingly.

I continue to be pleased with the consistency of this KAC barrel, while not match accurate it sure as hell isn’t bad either and just doesn’t seem to give two shits what it’s fed. Not finicky at all aside from hating Winchester M855 that all my other 5.56 rifles/carbines also hate. I still need to throw more magnification on the carbine and see if I can shrink group sizes a bit off the bench. A 1-8X24 ATACR would be awesome I think.

Feedback Score
    I don’t know. It doesn’t matter. And you shouldn’t care. Why buy a $2,500 rifle & put shit ammo through it? The SR-15 is one of, if not THE, most reliable, refined AR-15’s in existence. Get one, feed it, & enjoy it.

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    mine eats anything everything but I mostly shoot high end ammo and awesome handloads

PB
    "Air Force / Policeman / Fireman / Man of God / Friend of mine / R.I.P. Steve Lamy"

Feedback Score
    28 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by O3SKILL View Post

TIA
    What is your indicator that KAC uses oversized ports?
    Jack Leuba
    Director of Sales
    Knight's Armament Company
    jleuba@knightarmco.com

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    This overgassing concern is at epidemic proportions. Yes Bushmaster and others are truly overpassed. But KAC, come on man ! For HD Duty gun, it shouldn’t feel like a 10-22.

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    I don’t have ANY reason to believe KAC “overgasses” their rifles. My LPR 18” shoots incredibly soft, and is easy on brass. There is zero indication of any overgassing.

If someone told you that, or you heard it somewhere, I’d stop going to that source for info.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast