Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ruger PCC Cleaning

Feedback Score

Ruger PCC Cleaning

I never had a firearm that required tools to disassemble for cleaning until this Ruger PCC. You damned near need a tool box to take everything apart to get to the bolt. I've always been a meticulously kind of guy as far as cleaning goes after every range session but with this carbine, I don't see that happening. I also don't want to wear out the screws from constantly disassembling it. I'm considering just cleaning the barrel only after every range session and just calling it a day and only getting to the bolt when absolutely needed. Maybe once every 6 months.

Question.... What's the longest you've gone without cleaning your Ruger PCC?

Feedback Score
    Disclaimer i dont own one

Honestly for a blow back gun like that i think your on the right track thinking that you will just be putting extra wear on the fastners, i would just not clean it chances are it wolnt give you problems for a really long time if ever and you won't hurt it (pure speculation)

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    ETA - I don't own one. Hopefully someone that does can share their experience with you.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk
    Last edited by 9mm_shooter; 10-12-18 at 18:25.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    I clean mine once every 500 rounds. Don't bother with the the removal of the bolt (and, thus, charging handle) until you REALLY need a DEEP clean. Not so hard. Like a 10/22 really.

Feedback Score
    63 (100%)
    The more I shoot over the years, the less I worry about cleaning unless it's 1-a duty weapon or 2-a predetermined internal (e.g. yearly. The PCC is on my wish list, and I won't treat it any differently unless it affects function.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Ruger seems to have a tendency to be hard to strip and clean.

Their .22 target pistol Mark I through III were famously difficult. You needed a wooden dowel and a rubber mallet. Ridiculous. The Mark IV comes apart with the push of a button. That's when I bought one.

The 10/22 needs a screwdriver, punches, a hammer, and some cussing to strip and reassemble. And you can't clean it from the breech end. I clean as seldom as possible.

I'm not a bit surprised that another of their guns is tough to maintain.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Uni-Vibe View Post

Their .22 target pistol Mark I through III were famously difficult. You needed a wooden dowel and a rubber mallet. Ridiculous. The Mark IV comes apart with the push of a button. That's when I bought one.

The 10/22 needs a screwdriver, punches, a hammer, and some cussing to strip and reassemble. And you can't clean it from the breech end. I clean as seldom as possible.

I'm not a bit surprised that another of their guns is tough to maintain.

I had a few MKIII's, they were a pain but I never did need a wooden dowel. Only gun I have ever had that I had to use the instructions every time to put it back together. I bought a replacement bushing for $10 from tandemkross that removed 90% of the steps and pain.

I'm not sure what your using a punch and hammer on a 10/22 for unless your completely striping the bolt down. Otherwise a allen wrench for the stock screws and a screwdriver for putting the bolt release back in is about the only extras I need. I should notemine all have the poly lower and the pins push right in and out easy.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Uni-Vibe View Post
    +1. I have an AC556. It makes me wonder what they were thinking. No way that you’d want GI’s field stripping such a rifle.

Feedback Score
    Just bought a PCC yesterday and shot/cleaned it. Perusing old threads for info and came upon this one...

It took two tools to completely strip the rifle...a 5/32" hex wrench to remove the stock and charging handle, and a punch (or similar) to push out the trigger module pins and ejector pin (they almost fall out once you get them started).

While it is more involved than an AR to quickly disassemble for cleaning, it's far from difficult or requiring a toolbox.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by kwb377 View Post
    Just bought a PCC yesterday and shot/cleaned it. Perusing old threads for info and came upon this one...

It took two tools to completely strip the rifle...a 5/32" hex wrench to remove the stock and charging handle, and a punch (or similar) to push out the trigger module pins and ejector pin (they almost fall out once you get them started).

While it is more involved than an AR to quickly disassemble for cleaning, it's far from difficult or requiring a toolbox.
    Yeah it's really not that bad, but I still dont strip mine to clean it, even running supressed.

I just clean the barrel and wipe down what I can get to. Runs fine.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast