Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Rob Leatham on Aiming

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)

Rob Leatham on Aiming

Interesting vid from Rob Leatham on aiming. Made sense to me more or less, but #1 rule "hold the gun really tight" was not always as I have approached it. That is, if I hold the fun in a death grip, it causes shaking and or much faster shooting fatigue. So, tight enough to keep positive control, not so tight it causes (me at least) problems. I assume that's what he meant, but "hold the gun really tight" does not seem terribly useful info unless the person knows what he's saying, and the vid seems targeted at those who would not know what he means, and attempt to hod the gun in a death grip:

- Will

General Performance/Fitness Advice for all

www.BrinkZone.com

LE/Mil specific info:

https://brinkzone.com/category/swatleomilitary/

“Those who do not view armed self defense as a basic human right, ignore the mass graves of those who died on their knees at the hands of tyrants.”

Feedback Score
    Even if you shake, its not going to throw shots off at 7yds, not handling recoil might.

Not saying you should grip that tight, just offering perspecitve.

If you dead-fish hold the gun, you wont be accurate, and you wont be fast.
    Same if you cant manipulate the trigger without moving the pistol.
    I personally dont have a #1 rule. Grip and trigger control are equally important at the top.
    I believe most people can point shoot effectively at extreme close range, so sight picture is next.
    Definately a good video though.

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by MegademiC View Post
    Even if you shake, its not going to throw shots off at 7yds, not handling recoil might.

Not saying you should grip that tight, just offering perspecitve.

If you dead-fish hold the gun, you wont be accurate, and you wont be fast.
    Same if you cant manipulate the trigger without moving the pistol.
    I personally dont have a #1 rule. Grip and trigger control are equally important at the top.
    I believe most people can point shoot effectively at extreme close range, so sight picture is next.
    Definately a good video though.
    Another member (26 Inf?) said in another thread “everyone is a gunfighter at 7 yards”. Reason being that the shooting fundamentals have little effect at that range. That being said, grip, trigger control and sight alignment are the top three in shooting accurately. As far as a hard grip I put a tight “squeeze” on the front and back straps with little to no pressure on the sides.
    Philippians 2:10-11

To argue with a person who renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead. ~ Thomas Paine

“The greatest conspiracy theory is the notion that your government cares about you”- unknown.

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    Dandy video, Ive watched several times.

PB
    "Air Force / Policeman / Fireman / Man of God / Friend of mine / R.I.P. Steve Lamy"

Feedback Score
    45 (100%)
    I was at a pistol course a couple weekends ago and the instructor played this video for us during one of the breaks.
    Gettin' down innagrass.
    Let's Go Brandon!

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by flenna View Post
    Another member (26 Inf?) said in another thread “everyone is a gunfighter at 7 yards”. Reason being that the shooting fundamentals have little effect at that range. That being said, grip, trigger control and sight alignment are the top three in shooting accurately. As far as a hard grip I put a tight “squeeze” on the front and back straps with little to no pressure on the sides.
    Ever been at a public indoor range and seen the targets at 7 yards? Ugh. Everyone is a shooter, fighting the gun may be a better name than a gun fighter.

I think the biggest thing from Rob's video is that accurate shooting and fast shooting are two different techniques. Hard holding the gun is inherently needed for a fast follow-up shot. In slow accurate shooting getting the gun lined up and breaking the shot are more important- or that is what I take away from how it seems easier to shoot a 1911 accurately with one hand versus two.

I think hard holding also helps to fight flinching.

Also the fact that the gun is going to shoot where it is going to shoot- it doesn't give a crap about the sights or the shooter. The sear breaks and the shot goes where the barrel is pointed.

Rob was what, 20-25 yards from the target? I thought I counted about that many steps.
    The Second Amendment ACKNOWLEDGES our right to own and bear arms that are in common use that can be used for lawful purposes. The arms can be restricted ONLY if subject to historical analogue from the founding era or is dangerous (unsafe) AND unusual.

It's that simple.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by FromMyColdDeadHand View Post
    Ever been at a public indoor range and seen the targets at 7 yards? Ugh. Everyone is a shooter, fighting the gun may be a better name than a gun fighter.

I think the biggest thing from Rob's video is that accurate shooting and fast shooting are two different techniques. Hard holding the gun is inherently needed for a fast follow-up shot. In slow accurate shooting getting the gun lined up and breaking the shot are more important- or that is what I take away from how it seems easier to shoot a 1911 accurately with one hand versus two.

I think hard holding also helps to fight flinching.

Also the fact that the gun is going to shoot where it is going to shoot- it doesn't give a crap about the sights or the shooter. The sear breaks and the shot goes where the barrel is pointed.

Rob was what, 20-25 yards from the target? I thought I counted about that many steps.
    Unless your Rob Leatham ...
    - Will

General Performance/Fitness Advice for all

www.BrinkZone.com

LE/Mil specific info:

https://brinkzone.com/category/swatleomilitary/

“Those who do not view armed self defense as a basic human right, ignore the mass graves of those who died on their knees at the hands of tyrants.”

Feedback Score
    Id love to pick his brain about the accurate vs fast thing.
    I focus more on grip consistency and aiming, but everything else is the same. Maybe Im doing it wrong?

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Bill Rogers says essentially the same thing. Like Leatham, he also said he believes you should teach speed first then precision.

Expounding a little bit on my 'everyone's a gunfighter at 7 yards' statement - I've noticed that most shooters don't want to suck, so they spend their time doing things they don't suck at. For most of them this means they prefer to shoot up close and feel good about the results. (please note - I'm not necessarily talking about folks on this forum)
    Patriotism means to stand by the country. It does not mean to stand by the President... - Theodore Roosevelt, Lincoln and Free Speech, Metropolitan Magazine, Volume 47, Number 6, May 1918.

Every Communist must grasp the truth. Political power grows out of the barrel of a gun. Our principle is that the Party commands the gun, and the gun must never be allowed to command the Party Mao Zedong, 6 November, 1938 - speech to the Communist Patry of China's sixth Central Committee

Feedback Score
    I think you’re right about that.

I get many many strange looks on the pistol range when I take my target and set it up at 50 yards.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast