Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: PDW Caliber Choice.

Feedback Score
    29 (87%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ron3 View Post
    They have almost as much blast as a shorty 5.56. And they don't run as well. Even worse than 5.56 ar pistols. They are more prone to broken bolts, feeding and extraction problems.

I would have liked to have tried the more affordable brass case ammo available now hack when I had mine. But I'm sure it never would have ran well enough for me.

I recommend 20 rd. AR specific magazines and brass-cased ammo. But if your going to use quality 50 cents a round ammo you may as well be shooting .300 blk. And use standard AR mags.
    Makes sense

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Klingkong251 View Post
    Wanted opinions on "in your opinion" what the best caliber is and why for a compact PDW style weapon. I'm talking something like an SBR or AR pistol type weapon, not a handgun. Tell me your caliber of choice and why.

Sent from my XT1635-01 using Tapatalk
    You use the SBR or pistol that is 100% reliable, which you are comfortable using proficiently in a stressful situation. If you find your shot placement and proficiency superior when shooting 9 mm over other calibers, go with that.

I can shoot my AR 9 mm faster and more accurate than my .45 ACP UMP conversion on the clock. The AR 9 has better ergonomics and it’s easier to mount a light. I would hate to be shot with it if it were loaded with Federal HSTs (which it eats just fine). Food for thought.

.300 blackout is superior for a PDW in terms of terminal ballistics, but for most of us, 9 mm JHPs should do quite well unless your enemy has body armor.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Arik View Post
    Or......since platform wasn't mentioned, only caliber.... simply use it in an AK. Far less chance of broken bolts, or feeding issues

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk
    I agree. But I think he wants something really short. Like 7.5 inch barrel short. I think there is a Romanian AK pistol that short. But the blast is going to be ridiculous.

I think for barrels that short it should be .300 blk out at the most followed by pistol calibers.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ron3 View Post
    I agree. But I think he wants something really short. Like 7.5 inch barrel short. I think there is a Romanian AK pistol that short. But the blast is going to be ridiculous.

I think for barrels that short it should be .300 blk out at the most followed by pistol calibers.
    I have a Arsenal slr107. 8.5in barrel. With Bulgarian 4 piece flash hider you don't see the blast.

Not mine but the same

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    I know a lot of people like to go to handgun calibers in PDWs, but for me, if you're going to the trouble of building it in an AR, put in a more potent caliber.

I built my SBR in .300 Blackout for my home defense gun. At 11.3" it's kinda big for what most people think of as a "PDW" but I call it that sometimes.

I do know the 5.56 gives a lot up in short barrels, (still better than handgun ammo) and I wanted the most power I could get, even though I was going to a small gun. The .300 with supersonic rounds are the ticket for me. I shoot whatever 147 or 150gr fmj for practice. I keep the very good (but unfortunately expensive) 110gr Barnes Vor-Tx as my duty round. I'm sure a 150gr fmj would be a decent round in a pinch. Soft points can be had as well.
    You know what I like best about most people?

Their dogs.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    300 blk

Feedback Score
    17 (100%)
    I have a 7.5" 300 BLK that I built to be as short and light as possible while still being reliable, and have enough barrel to make supersonics still get up to a decent velocity. If I was to go shorter than about 7" on a barrel, I have been mulling over a couple options.

With the CMMG guard coming out in 5.7, 9mm, and 45, I would imagine a 10mm would be on the way fairly soon. That is a project that seems interesting to me. With the 10mm, you still get the option of a heavy subsonic in the 200 grain ballpark, as well as the lighter 135 grain bullets you can get to over 1400 even in a 5-6" barrel. The CMMG delayed blowback system should help with recoil, and a suppressor along the lines of the SiCo Omega 9k (I know they make a 45 version, but it seems a little long for a PDW that you are trying to keep as short as possible), but for .40 would make a pretty neat package. Glock mags give you 15 rounds, and with TT extensions you can up that to 19 I think.

Feedback Score
    In my mind, if im going pistol caliber, I want the mag in the grip.
    If im going less than 7” ish barrel, I want a pistol caliber.

I went through this excersize a few times.

>\=11.5 5.56
    9-12” 6.8
    7-10” 300blk
    <7” pistol

And at this point I realize i dont want to afford to get good with non 5.56, then I look at uspsa rankings and realize that a pcc doesnt dominate a real pistol, so I just stick to my g19 and 5.56 rifle.

Ymmv
    Last edited by MegademiC; 10-16-18 at 21:20.

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    If I were to start over again, I'm liking what I have seen so far with the 9" 7.62*39 CZ Bren 2.

Basically I would love to do a French GIGN clone build.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    7.62x39 is the best out of a short barrel in my opinion

assuming we are talking about an AK variant if we are talking about and AR id rather spend the extra to run .300

+1 for the bulgy 4 peice

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast