Thread: Precision rifle build for PRS Gas Gun.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

Precision rifle build for PRS Gas Gun.

About a year and a half ago I snagged a Mega Monolithic upper for a screaming deal. I had been itching to try some PRS type matches but wasn't keen to jump into the chassis type bolt guns. This seemed like a cost effective way, and 800 sounded more palatable than 1400 yards.

Trigger is a JP single stage. Bolt carrier is a low mass JP, paired with their two piece click adjustable gas block and captive buffer and spring. Muzzle brake is also JP. I would have preferred a proper precision rifle silencer, but it just ain't in the budget this year. Eventually. Yes, it is loud, but I actually find it more palatable than the comps that have high pressure ports. High pressure ports seem (to my ears) to generate that really high pitched, snappy, crack. Even so, I always double up on quality plugs and muffs unless I am shooting suppressed when I will just go with foamies.

Enough on that...

I considered a bunch of different barrel options. JP, Krieger, WOA, etc.... Wound up going with a Larue Stealth 20". Budget was a factor but I had high confidence that the Larue would shoot. I am not disappointed. 10 round groups hovering slightly above and below 1 MOA with 69 SMK, 73gr Hornady ELD, and the old 75 Hornady BTHP. I am mostly done with load development, and I have a data book with groups shot and the load. The 69 groups as well as the 73 but I had better hit ratios on steel shooting with a strong crosswind with the 73. So I will be placing an order soon for a good quantity of the ELD bullets.

Warne X-Skel 20 MOA mount and a Vortex PST Gen2 3-15. Yeah in a perfect world I would have bought a Razor, but I think this is about 90% of the scope for about 50% of the money. Actually less than 50% because I got a great deal on the optic as well. EBR-2c reticle works great but in the box tests I have done the scope tracks as perfectly as I am able to ascertain with the equipment that I have on hand.

The Mega upper is just a work of art. It is a damn shame that they appear to have been discontinued now that Zev bought out Mega.

Have it setting on a Harris BRM-S bipod that has both their built in lockable pan and the pod-lock for adjusting and locking down tilt. I also have an Armageddon gear Game Changer front bag and their little rear squeeze bag. I like them but I wish the game changer had a lighter material for the fill.

First match is in February at Rockcastle. I have some work to do so that I don't embarrass myself.

Feedback Score
    19 (100%)
    I've not followed the PRS scene, but am curious why you are running a brake.

Andy

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by AndyLate View Post
    I've not followed the PRS scene, but am curious why you are running a brake.

Andy
    Spotting misses at distance through my own scope.

Feedback Score
    19 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by IndianaBoy View Post
    Spotting misses at distance through my own scope.
    That makes sense, thanks.

Andy

Feedback Score
    Very nice rifle. How are you liking that UBR? Is it a gen2? Looking at one for my 16 inch precision gun.

Feedback Score
    I just did a very similar build myself, post what kind of groups that thing will shoot super curious about the barrel.