Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Gunsmith for my mossberg 500 sight install

Feedback Score

Gunsmith for my mossberg 500 sight install

so I bought ghost ring sights for my shotgun and I'm in need of a gunsmith who can solder a front post sight on my shotgun, any recommendations? I've left 2 messages with aimpro tactical with no calls back. Thanks guys.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    If you are in a community with an actual gun store they should either be able to do it for you or steer you to someone who can do the job. That is a pretty simple, generic gunsmithing job, not necessary to send it off unless you are in a very isolated location.
    Patriotism means to stand by the country. It does not mean to stand by the President... - Theodore Roosevelt, Lincoln and Free Speech, Metropolitan Magazine, Volume 47, Number 6, May 1918.

Every Communist must grasp the truth. Political power grows out of the barrel of a gun. Our principle is that the Party commands the gun, and the gun must never be allowed to command the Party Mao Zedong, 6 November, 1938 - speech to the Communist Patry of China's sixth Central Committee

Feedback Score
    11 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by 26 Inf View Post
    If you are in a community with an actual gun store they should either be able to do it for you or steer you to someone who can do the job. That is a pretty simple, generic gunsmithing job, not necessary to send it off unless you are in a very isolated location.
    Agreed. Normally I advise people to avoid the local Bubba, but he'd have to be a raging idiot to less this up, and you'd likely see it written all over his shop so to speak.

Feedback Score
    Well I live in Commiefornia and nobody here can reccomend a quality gunsmith, I don't mind paying more for quality work. Thanks for the replies fellas.

Feedback Score
    11 (92%)
    Quote Originally Posted by drewskee223 View Post
    Well I live in Commiefornia and nobody here can reccomend a quality gunsmith, I don't mind paying more for quality work. Thanks for the replies fellas.
    It's not as easy as you are being led to believe especially if you care about how it looks. I'd call VangComp or Wilson combat for a recommendation if they won't do it. If you didn't have the sights I would recommend selling your 500 and picking up a 590A1 SX.They can be had for $425 new.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    It should be a cinch for anyone competent in silver soldering. That doesn't even mean a gunsmith. Silver soldering will just about guarantee the finish will need to be redone if that is a concern.

Unless something has changed Wilson uses adhesive that in my experience of 1 time will not hold the Mossberg front sight.

Vang Comp sights are soldered, but not sure if they do other brands.
    Last edited by jsbhike; 11-01-18 at 17:18.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by drewskee223 View Post
    You could join CalGuns: https://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/....php?t=1147730

Silver soldering is something that anyone who does actual gunsmithing should be able to do without a hitch.

I didn't ask, but probably should have - are you putting on the Mossberg Ghost Rings or after market? If so which ones?

ETA: Had to step away for a moment. In the long run it might be cheaper to sell and buy a 590 or 500 with ghost ring sights.
    Last edited by 26 Inf; 11-02-18 at 00:12.
    Patriotism means to stand by the country. It does not mean to stand by the President... - Theodore Roosevelt, Lincoln and Free Speech, Metropolitan Magazine, Volume 47, Number 6, May 1918.

Every Communist must grasp the truth. Political power grows out of the barrel of a gun. Our principle is that the Party commands the gun, and the gun must never be allowed to command the Party Mao Zedong, 6 November, 1938 - speech to the Communist Patry of China's sixth Central Committee

Feedback Score
    11 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by GH41 View Post
    It's not as easy as you are being led to believe especially if you care about how it looks. I'd call VangComp or Wilson combat for a recommendation if they won't do it. If you didn't have the sights I would recommend selling your 500 and picking up a 590A1 SX.They can be had for $425 new.
    Midwest Gunworks has legit gunsmiths in house. They are about 4hrs from me, and ive visited before. Small but competent shop. Id trust them with my 500. They work on shotguns worth more than my car.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by 26 Inf View Post
    You could join CalGuns: https://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/....php?t=1147730

Silver soldering is something that anyone who does actual gunsmithing should be able to do without a hitch.

I didn't ask, but probably should have - are you putting on the Mossberg Ghost Rings or after market? If so which ones?

ETA: Had to step away for a moment. In the long run it might be cheaper to sell and buy a 590 or 500 with ghost ring sights.
    I was assuming Mossberg brand sights since op only mentioned front sight soldering and nothing about drilling and tapping for the rear.

If boogered up finish from the soldering is a concern, you are dead on right about it being a better deal to sell and buy new with sights installed unless there is some crap within PRK's war on freedoms that skews that.

On the reducing cost route, a banded front sight is ***usually*** a fairly easy DIY project, wouldn't affect finish, and probably be more durable than even soldered on.
    Last edited by jsbhike; 11-02-18 at 08:02.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by jsbhike View Post
    I was assuming Mossberg brand sights since op only mentioned front sight soldering and nothing about drilling and tapping for the rear.

If boogered up finish from the soldering is a concern, you are dead on right about it being a better deal to sell and buy new with sights installed unless there is some crap within PRK's war on freedoms that skews that.

On the reducing cost route, a banded front sight is ***usually*** a fairly easy DIY project, wouldn't affect finish, and probably be more durable than even soldered on.
    The XS Sights are the only ones I've seen that look like they would be GTG - they are kind of pricey $189.00 - $202.00

https://www.xssights.com/Detail.aspx...93353&CAT=8265

https://www.amazon.com/XS-Sight-Syst.../dp/B01GINCOHY

Myself, I wouldn't put ghost rings on a shotgun unless it was a dedicated slug gun for hunting. Within 20 yards, the bead is faster for shot shells whether they be buck or bird, if you know what you are doing,

Additionally there are red dot options available - Burris Speedbead is what I would use.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast