Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Where to put pistol after getting long gun?

Feedback Score

Where to put pistol after getting long gun?

I'll bet most of us sleep with loose or no clothes on.

The handgun is handy and quickest to access for most of us. But after we wake and get an OODA loop started we probably want a long gun in our hands if it really seems like we're going to need a gun.

So you get to your long gun and pick it up. What do you with your hand gun?

Do you have an inconspicuous place to leave it? Give it to a family member? (Who is also probably half asleep) Do you put it down, put on pants, a holster, put pistol in holster then pick up long gun? Or do you grab the long gun first and skip the pistol?

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Ron3 View Post
    I'll bet most of us sleep with loose or no clothes on.

The handgun is handy and quickest to access for most of us. But after we wake and get an OODA loop started we probably want a long gun in our hands if it really seems like we're going to need a gun.

Do you have an inconspicuous place to leave it? Give it to a family member? (Who is also probably half asleep) Do you put it down, put on pants, a holster, put pistol in holster then pick up long gun? Or do you grab the long gun first and skip the pistol?

Rifle, skip pistol if its a choice. In real life, get whatever is closer and excecute plan.

If I die because I had to transition after 30 rounds during a home invasion, but didnt have my pistol, it was just my time.
    Last edited by MegademiC; 10-13-18 at 15:21.

Feedback Score
    88 (100%)
    My rifle is right beside my pistol. Unless someone is coming through the bedroom door at the second I wake up, there is no disadvantage for me to take extra second or two to get the rifle up. That being said, my Ronin belt (which is easily accessed in the next room) can be thrown around most of my clothing and won’t move too much as long as I’m not running.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Sic semper tyrannis.

Feedback Score
    30 (100%)
    I don’t really buy into the “use a pistol to fight to your long gun” thing. I don’t see having a running gunfight through my house as a realistic scenario, and if I do, all threat problems will be solved prior to opening my safe, and cops enroute. Whatever gun I grab on my way out the bed is what I’ve got. That said, when a rifle is not next to my bed, a M9A1 is in one of my competition rigs on the floor next to my bed, so I can grab and go with that. Along with pants and a pair of shoes, for investigating outdoor noises.
    RLTW

Former Action Guy
    Disclosure: I am affiliated PRN with a tactical training center, but I speak only for myself. I have no idea what we sell, other than CLP and training. I receive no income from sale of hard goods.

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    You should have you’re OODA loop going before you grab any firearm.
    AQ planned for years and sent their A team to carry out the attacks, and on Flight 93 they were thwarted by a pick-up team made up of United Frequent Fliers. Many people look at 9/11 and wonder how we can stop an enemy like that. I look at FL93 and wonder, "How can we lose?". -- FromMyColdDeadHand

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ron3 View Post

Prison wallet...
    ;-)

Honestly, though, I suppose I'd just fight with whatever weapon was most at hand at the time, and I'd probably just go straight to the rifle if that was at all an option (i.e. put it by the bed).

If I DID have a handgun and I DID need to grab a rifle, I'd just dump the handgun where the rifle was hiding and drive on.

Feedback Score
    12 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by kerplode View Post
    Prison wallet...
    ;-)

I'd probably just go straight to the rifle if that was at all an option (i.e. put it by the bed).
    +1
    Usually, the place you grab your rifle will be in friendly territory and will stay behind you in a fight.

Though, if I already had a pistol in hand I would probably be moving toward the threat/funnel to stand off immediately at a chokepoint rather than retreat further, allow them to progress further.

We know our layouts in our homes and should have thought this through previously. In any situation, you are on auto pilot and doing what you already practiced/trained to do.

Prior training is your advantage.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    I never touch the pistol on my home court. SBR or nothing.
    "What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    I'm a dad, little hands are curious hands, so nothing can be left unlocked and at the ready in my place. For that reason I have a quick access pistol safe at my bedside ( biometric so I'm not fumbling for a key or RFID tag in my just awoke state.) It hopefully will be adequate to make it the larger safe if need be in an accompanying room. If it gets to that level of need I would place the pistol on my person in a holster which is ready next to the rifle in the safe. It will stay on my hips ( the belt with holster,) even if I am unclothed as I usually am when I sleep. I imagine it would make for a fairly amusing pic though ( standing in the buff with a rifle and nothing but a gun belt and holstered pistol. ) My place is small ,Cali so yeah. I am probably much more comfortable with a pistol for clearing my small home ( plus no 30 rounds mags for us anyways, so I'll take the pistol.)

Feedback Score
    My Delta Elite is under my pillow. Since we have a patio door in our bedroom, it's perfect placement for me. My AR is in the hall with either the Eotech turned on, or the Aimpoint PRO on, ready to go. If something's happening up front in the house, the AR gets picked up, bedroom area, first thing in my hand is the Delta

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast