Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Where to put pistol after getting long gun?

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Arik View Post
    Why? Why not just stick to one gun? I own a bunch of guns. Some collectable, some for fun but it's not like I'm going to be stuck deciding which to grab in an emergency. It's always going to be the same gun
    Well, a pistol is fast to grab and can be kept very close. Harder to get taken from me, too.

A rifle or shotgun is the better weapon, when you have space.

So, it's nice to have options but not too many.
    Last edited by Ron3; 12-14-18 at 07:48.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Right! So just pick one and stick with it regardless of what else you own

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    I sleep with my Level IV plate carrier on and a knife on my nightstand. I am impervious to random .38 special rounds and practice knife attacks in the dark.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by HKGuns View Post
    I sleep with my Level IV plate carrier on and a knife on my nightstand. I am impervious to random .38 special rounds and practice knife attacks in the dark.
    You could do better. I suggest kevlar for your limbs and poison for your blade. But your on the right path.

Feedback Score
    20 (100%)
    I have a toddler in the house, so I keep my pistol in a bedside safe. That's my go to. If I had time to get to the closet and get the SBR, I'd just put the pistol down there or put my range belt on and put the gun in the holster.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ron3 View Post
    You could do better. I suggest kevlar for your limbs and poison for your blade. But your on the right path.
    I like the poison blade idea!

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ron3 View Post
    I'll bet most of us sleep with loose or no clothes on.

The handgun is handy and quickest to access for most of us. But after we wake and get an OODA loop started we probably want a long gun in our hands if it really seems like we're going to need a gun.

So you get to your long gun and pick it up. What do you with your hand gun?

Do you have an inconspicuous place to leave it? Give it to a family member? (Who is also probably half asleep) Do you put it down, put on pants, a holster, put pistol in holster then pick up long gun? Or do you grab the long gun first and skip the pistol?
    I sleep in athletic shorts. Every one of my handguns "sleeps" in a kydex holster to include one in a Bladetech Klipt holster next to my bed. The first thing I would do is quickly clip it on and therefore, I would just reholster it if I decided to grab a long gun from my bedroom closet.

I think it's very important to factor in the possible need to use your hands and being able to quickly holster your pistol or release your rifle on a two-point sling is a good thing.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Striker753 View Post
    I just use a shotgun for HD...

But on a more serious note, do you think you could "craft" something by attaching a holster to a 2-point sling? You could just throw the sling over your shoulder, and the holster would be on your side at every time.
    Needing a full AR mag and later on switching to your handgun in a home defense scenario would be quite strange unless you're planning to fight a busload of gang bangers or a Chinese paratrooper platoon, but if you'd feel safer with that, then go ahead.
    Not to play the what if game but suppose your rifle takes an incoming round and is disabled... Do you think a secondary would be useful? Reacting to an event that you didn't initiate is tough. You have no data on who, how many, how well armed, location, or intent. Stacking the deck in your favor is optimal and having a second gun is a wise choice. Obviously the situation dictates the tactics and sourcing a second gun may or may not be practical.

Feedback Score
    47 (100%)
    Pistol for HD.

/end

Feedback Score
    No small children anymore so I have Glock 17 with mounted light and hand held light on night stand. Have AR and 870 within reach of bed also. Most likely to gab glock if I move from bedroom and still be in the house. Pistol is ready to go rifle and shotgun are kept in cruiser ready condition. If staying at bed and have time long gun would probably be my choice or if going outside. If not dressed it will be long gun or pistol not both being carried.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast