Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Where to put pistol after getting long gun?

Feedback Score
    I read somewhere that your pants are your primary bug out. If you wake up and the house is on fire, sliding off the hill in a mudslide, heading towards a tornado, you need to put your pants on. Wallet, keys, knife, cash, etc. My EDC d’jour lays on a table beside the bed with yesterday’s pants and appropriate holster beside it. I also keep a fleece lined vest and Keen sandals there. A carbine with WML is beside all that.
    Grade A ninjas couldn’t get inside the house without getting noticed by our indoor dogs. My Elkie alerts when someone is half way up our driveway. I believe I’ll have time to get my shit together.

Feedback Score
    My pistol is on my nightstand which is next to the wall that my rifle is leaning against. Unless there’s no way to make my way the extra 18” past my pistol, I’m grabbing my rifle.

Feedback Score
    11 (100%)
    The wife hates that I do this but every night before I get in bed I take whatever clothes off right by my side. Anything happens I hop out of bed throw at least my pants/shorts on and then grab my handgun right off the nightstand. I'm then headed for the closet to grab my SBR. The closet is no more than 10 steps fro my side of the bed. If there isn't enough time to get to my SBR then I'm fine with the handgun and an extra magazine. Although I'm such a light sleeper that if my wife even thinks about rolling over at night I wake up. I'll even wake up when the dog changes positions in his crate. So unless I'm just totally exhausted and dead to the world I'll enough time to react whatever weapon needed or wanted.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    I'm curious. Are all you guys that sleep with an AR next to the bed putting them back in the safe while you are out of the house? For me, that's just too much of a chore. I just pull off my EDC pistol and put it on the night stand, back on to my body in the AM.. rinse, repeat. If I have plenty of warning for some odd reason, I'll head for my AR.

Feedback Score
    30 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by AKDoug View Post
    I'm curious. Are all you guys that sleep with an AR next to the bed putting them back in the safe while you are out of the house? For me, that's just too much of a chore. I just pull off my EDC pistol and put it on the night stand, back on to my body in the AM.. rinse, repeat. If I have plenty of warning for some odd reason, I'll head for my AR.
    I’ll either put it in the safe in the morning, or put it in the hardcase and take it with me to work, depending on what station I’m working that day.
    RLTW

Former Action Guy
    Disclosure: I am affiliated PRN with a tactical training center, but I speak only for myself. I have no idea what we sell, other than CLP and training. I receive no income from sale of hard goods.

Feedback Score
    The AR stays propped up beside the bed with an IDPA vest covering it. 60# Elkhound and 80# Lab cross are paid to protect Chateau Despair and do a damn good job of acting like they would when anyone comes around. A couple years ago the US Marshals lost a fugitive near my home and I got word of it. When I pulled up two of them in full gear were standing 25 yards down my driveway. Once they recognized me one guy said “Nobody’s getting in that house with those dogs”.
    Good pups.

Feedback Score
    Whatever holstered or pocketed handgun that is in the pocket or on the belt stays there at night. The pants are next to the bed on the floor. If alerted, pants go on and I have a least one and probably two handguns and a flashlight available if warranted. When dressed, there is usually at least one handgun somewhere on my body. No long guns are kept ready for SD since I have no means of securing them properly in a ready condition when gone from home.

Feedback Score
    Handgun on the nightstand, rifle next to nightstand with 60 rounds on board. Depends on time really, if i hear a crash like my sliding glass door getting broken, then handgun straight to point of domination and waiting. Now if my front door gets hammered, which is stout, then rifle. Time will dictate your response and having other souls in the house will affect your time. Audit that and you'll have your appropriate response. I'm not going hunting if I don't have to, so I have no need to get immediately dressed.

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    Yes. If I'm home the rifle is accessible. When I leave it goes in the safe. Takes all of 30 seconds.

Feedback Score
    Same, just a habit to build that takes less than 2 minutes to accomplish.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast