Over the last few years I’ve grown to really like non-government profile barrels. My two most used are a BCM ELW-F and Noveske Skinny. I recently got a URG-I and figured I’d do something about the government profile barrel down the road, which brings the question. It’d be significantly cheaper to just re-profile the area in front of the gas block journal and muzzle but I’m not sure how much that’s inviting the potential for problems. Obviously there’s the possibility that the gunsmith could screw that up, but I’m not sure how likely that is if he’s qualified and trusted. Other than that, I’ve seen claims that a “sharp” gas block journal will negatively affect barrel harmonics and therefore accuracy when compared to a continuous taper design with a .625 journal. Anyone know if there’s any merit to this or anything else that I’m overlooking? I’ll also be getting the pinned SF4P removed and a WarComp pinned on, if that matters.

I only have a little over 200 rounds through the DD barrel and it definitely performs well enough that I’d rather not have to replace it and the Geissele gas block. Also, I know it doesn’t matter much with ARs but I like the idea of having a new bolt and barrel wear together.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk