Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Any downside to re-contouring a barrel into LW vs just replacing with a new one?

Feedback Score
    22 (100%)
    My opinion is that is isn't worth it to do any work to the existing barrel. I deal with non optimal barrels in 2 ways:
    A) Pull the barrel and sell it. Would have to be at a major loss since its used and market is soft.
    B) Abuse the shit out of it by dumping 1000's of rounds of steel jacketed ammo through it until it dies. The best way is to sneak it into the end of the fiscal year live fire(which passed) and play LMG with it.

I would have suggested replacing it with my BA hanson profiled CHF barrel made by DD but that sold last week or a 14.5" Hodge barrel if you can find it. Keeps it inline with what the URG-I was meant to do, handle M855A1. Triarcs I believe are QPQ finished.

Feedback Score
    88 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by vicious_cb View Post
    My opinion is that is isn't worth it to do any work to the existing barrel. I deal with non optimal barrels in 2 ways:
    A) Pull the barrel and sell it. Would have to be at a major loss since its used and market is soft.
    B) Abuse the shit out of it by dumping 1000's of rounds of steel jacketed ammo through it until it dies. The best way is to sneak it into the end of the fiscal year live fire(which passed) and play LMG with it.

I would have suggested replacing it with my BA hanson profiled CHF barrel made by DD but that sold last week or a 14.5" Hodge barrel if you can find it. Keeps it inline with what the URG-I was meant to do, handle M855A1. Triarcs I believe are QPQ finished.
    I have seen a Hodge for sale recently but it sounds like the latest batch is tuned so much for the A1 that it may not lock back with even an A5-0 on weaker brass ammo. I’m not super tied to Triarc, it’d just be convenient to send it to the place that already has the replacement barrel on hand. I’m not going to be able to shoot for the next month and would prefer to send it now. Plus, they have a 13.9” barrel that comes out to exactly 16.1” when paired with a WarComp.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Sic semper tyrannis.

Feedback Score
    125 (100%)
    You could also trade it for something like ammo, etc that you cold keep or sell easier for less or no loss.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Wake27 View Post
    I already have the pinned URGI, which is part of the reason I have to send it to someone. I am hoping that the SF4P can be saved to sell off though, I hate open tine flash hiders. Originally I was going to get the stripped upper but the complete one was a pretty good deal through Brownells over Labor Day. Most places are sold out of the DD LW barrel so I have an email in with Triarc right now asking if I can just send them my upper for them to put one of their Track 2.0 barrels in. It’d actually add almost half a pound but I don’t hate extra weight nearly as much as I hate useless weight.

I would just keep it as is man. I got one during that Labor day sale as well and it's a pretty sweet setup.

Feedback Score
    22 (100%)
    I have seen a Hodge for sale recently but it sounds like the latest batch is tuned so much for the A1 that it may not lock back with even an A5-0 on weaker brass ammo. I’m not super tied to Triarc, it’d just be convenient to send it to the place that already has the replacement barrel on hand. I’m not going to be able to shoot for the next month and would prefer to send it now. Plus, they have a 13.9” barrel that comes out to exactly 16.1” when paired with a WarComp.

I would not call a 0.075" gas port tuned so much for M855A1. I think as others have stated in that thread its sounds like something sounds wrong with that particular gun.

Feedback Score
    88 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by vicious_cb View Post
    I would not call a 0.075" gas port tuned so much for M855A1. I think as others have stated in that thread its sounds like something sounds wrong with that particular gun.
    Hmm, I thought it was closer to .073 or maybe even less. Either way, I think that one sold and Triarc got back to me today, saying that it’s no problem for me to ship them my upper for a barrel swap. Now I just have to decide if I want to spend the extra money on one of their NP3 BCGs or keep the BCM IonBond BCG that is in it currently.

I get that it really doesn’t make sense to swap the barrel and MD, but I’m super anal about my guns and stuff. I figure that if I spending money on it, it better perform perfectly for me and since I’ve spent the last several years being spoiled by LW barrels and comps, that’s what I want. We’ll see how the heavy ass Track barrel feels in the hand, but at least I’ll be able to tell myself that it’s got some other potential benefits that are maybe only beaten out by KAC and HDSI.

Sic semper tyrannis.

Feedback Score
    94 (100%)
    If the argument is that a continuous taper is more accurate, than that wouldn't really do anything for me.

The quote I've gotten is $110 IIRC, including reparkerizing. If I replaced it with anything, it'd probably be a BCM BFH ELW barrel which means I'd need a .625 gas block as well. I'm already $354 into it and would be considering adding one of their uppers to it as well, since the barrel extension is slightly undersized for better accuracy. At that point, I basically bought the URG-I for the rail and feel like there would definitely be some diminishing returns unless there is a legit accuracy improvement.
    Who are you thinking of doing the work?

"Texas has yet to learn submission to any oppression, come from what source it may."
    ~ Sam Houston

“The liberties of our country, the freedom of our civil constitution, are worth defending against all hazards: And it is our duty to defend them against all attacks.”
    ~ Sam Adams

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    I can tell you from experience that the DD 14.5" mid is a better barrel than both the BCM and Noveske you have.

Daniel Defense are among the best carbon steel, chrome lined barrels you can get.

The government profile produces demonstrably better accuracy and shootability, especially if you don't have much weight mounted out front. I recently built three uppers and could have used any barrel available, cost not even a factor, and I went with DD 16" gov't mid because I've had such consistently great performance out of them.

Feedback Score
    88 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by 17K View Post
    I can tell you from experience that the DD 14.5" mid is a better barrel than both the BCM and Noveske you have.

Daniel Defense are among the best carbon steel, chrome lined barrels you can get.

The government profile produces demonstrably better accuracy and shootability, especially if you don't have much weight mounted out front. I recently built three uppers and could have used any barrel available, cost not even a factor, and I went with DD 16" gov't mid because I've had such consistently great performance out of them.
    Do you have any evidence of that? The only stuff I can find online is general info regarding LW barrels, I've yet to see where an AR with a LW barrel is tested against an identical AR with a government barrel.
    Sic semper tyrannis.

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    MOLON used to do a lot of testing and government always outshot lightweight.

My own experience over the years, after owning Noveske skinny, Colt 6720, and several BCM ELW BFH, and ELW-F barrels shows that they don't shoot as consistently well as as government. BCM barrels are consistently at the bottom of the heap accuracy-wise. Colt and Daniel Defense are always at the top.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast