Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: .44 Special ammo question

Feedback Score

.44 Special ammo question

What is Remington 246 gr LRN like? Good, soft, practice ammo?

I've recently used: (From a 3-inch GP100)

Precision One 200gr FMJ - Recoils a bit, matches the muzzle blast. Maybe it's hot?

Georgia Arms 200gr LFN - Very pleasant to shoot. A little smokey.

HSM 200 gr (.44 Russian) - Very pleasant to shoot. A little more "pop" to it than the Georgia Arms. Very smokey. Casings really fly out 'cause short.

Georgia Arms 200 gr Gold Dot - Feels a little hotter in recoil and muzzle blast than their Cowboy Loads, but only a little. Feels like a +p version.

Underwood Ammo 200 gr Coated Wad Cutter - Feel's hot. Kicks a bit. Much more than the G.A. Gold Dot load or Precision One.

Underwood Ammo 255 gr "Keith" load Hard Cast SWC - Big, flat meplat. Kicks like a mild-load .44 magnum.

Anyway, I want a load to mimic the point of impact of the Underwood 255 gr load, because that's going to be my "woods" load. (they shoot higher)

So I'm going to 240 gr or heavier practice loads to that end.

What are the Remington 246 gr LRN loads like?

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    If that Underwood is really going 1000 fps, it'll be much different from the standard 246 grain load, which runs about 750 fps. You can't tell how much variation in points of impact there is, until you try it. I'm betting that it will be different, and the subjective feel will be much different. If you really want practice loads that mimic the Underwood stuff you want to rely on, you'll need something closer to the Underwood load's spec.

Now might be the time to get into handloading. $32 for a box of fifty of those RP 246 grain specials??? Ouch. Once you have the brass, you should be able to load .44 spl fifty rounds for about eight bucks.

For my old Smith Hand Ejector .44 Special, on the rare occasions that I shoot it, I load a 240 grain soft swaged lead SWC up to about 800 fps (by published data).

But in my Smith 629 .44 mag with 6.5 inch barrel, a very accurate load is a 240 grain hard cast SWC at around 1000 or 1050 fps. This is far below the typical full house .44 magnum load (breezing along at 1350 fps or so). Very pleasant to shoot in the big Smith. I'm thinking that my pet load is about what Underwood's doing in .44 spl. As you suggested a "mild" magnum load.
    Last edited by Uni-Vibe; 10-14-18 at 02:03.

Feedback Score
    Any 4x or larger caliber revolver deserves a dad that reloads.

I have a 44 magnum purchased from my friend, and he gave me his Dillon 450. He said I’d need it.

If you plan to shoot a high volume, it’s better over the long run to reload for it.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

Feedback Score
    Thanks.

Nice reloading station!

The rem. 246 gr. Can be found for about $27/50. Still very high. Lots of cowboy loads for $25/50. Including the excellent Georgia Arms.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Ron3 View Post
    Thanks.

Nice reloading station!

The rem. 246 gr. Can be found for about $27/50. Still very high. Lots of cowboy loads for $25/50. Including the excellent Georgia Arms.
    Thanks. I do 9 mm, 357 mag, 44 Mag, 45 ACP on progressive stations, and I do 454 Casull, 460 and 500 Magnum on two tandem single stage presses. I have an RCBS Turret for rifle ammo with dies for 6.5 Grendel, 300 AAC, 223, 308 and 7 mm-08.

Ammo I shoot is not cheap (factory) but it’s significantly less if I reload it.

With a progressive station you can crank out a lot of your ammo for less. It will afford you more practice over the long run. Just something to consider.

It’s what I have recommended to people who shoot any volume of ammo, especially for 4x caliber revolvers.

You have a nice revolver. I’ve consider one of them. But I have a few already.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Feedback Score
    I've been shooting revolvers a long time, but as we know, shooting is a depreciating skill. Gotta practice.

I'd been keeping up with revolver shooting with a Ruger LCR but I stopped carrying/shooting it. I since sold it to a buddy cheap. (Who is aware it's a bit worn)

So then I got this GP100 and while I like it I haven't shot it well the three times I've had it out. Last time out was promising. I think after a couple-three more range sessions I'll have a good handle on this particular gun.

It's just taking more ammo/effort than I anticipated.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Yeah the 44 special really shines when you reload, the combinations of bullet weights and velocity’s is vast.

Feedback Score
    I doubt I'll ever reload.

But I've been saving the brass. Someone will buy it I'm sure.

I just ordered more 200 gr .44 Russian for it. It's been the most accurate ammo from this gun consistently. In addition I like how consistently the brass pops out due to the shorter case.

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    Shooting a lot of .44 Russian can cause lead build up in cylinder which can create a pressure problem if you shoot hotter loads without cleaning. FYI.
    “The Trump Doctrine is ‘We’re America, Bitch.’ That’s the Trump Doctrine.”

"He is free to evade reality, he is free to unfocus his mind and stumble blindly down any road he pleases, but not free to avoid the abyss he refuses to see."

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by mack7.62 View Post
    Shooting a lot of .44 Russian can cause lead build up in cylinder which can create a pressure problem if you shoot hotter loads without cleaning. FYI.
    Thanks for the tip.

I clean it after every shooting session. And give the chambers a good scrub with a bronze brush and solvent. (Hoppes Elite, no odor)
    Ruger made the chambers right on this one. Casings come out easily, even after over 100 rds fired.

Fired it yesterday actually. I can put ten rounds into under 4 inches at 25 yds single action free-hand. My DA work is good and quick for about 10 yds. My shooting DA even slow fire at 25 yds is not good.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast