Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: .44 Special ammo question

Feedback Score
    For less than the cost of most new upmarket guns, you can get into reloading. PPs have hit the nail on the head; the issue is throweight. It's still cheaper to reload 9s, but not by much, but the big boys get pricey.
    As regards point of impact, so much of the variance is in how the gun recoils. You're probably better served compensating for the difference than trying to match it among loads.
    Moon

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by halfmoonclip View Post
    For less than the cost of most new upmarket guns, you can get into reloading. PPs have hit the nail on the head; the issue is throweight. It's still cheaper to reload 9s, but not by much, but the big boys get pricey.
    As regards point of impact, so much of the variance is in how the gun recoils. You're probably better served compensating for the difference than trying to match it among loads.
    Moon
    I found the Precision One 240 gr fmj-fp load shoots high enough to be close to the 255 gr HCSWC loads.

I adjusted the elevation of the sights, too, to put them in the middle of the bullet weights I shoot.

My DA shooting has improved and I'm "decent" with the gun after about 600 rds. Still room for improvement.

Feedback Score
    I became a tolerable double action shot with a Smith .22 revolver and a metric chit-ton of shots at a little metal man target...same size as a half-scale B29 target. I shot it so much that it acquired a permanent bow.
    Don't be too fussy about too much precision at first, and roll the revolver thru', rather than staging it. Be satisfied with center-mass hits. But do think about getting a .22 rather than trying to learn on the .44.
    Moon

Feedback Score
    To update, I'm perfectly happy with the 200 gr .44 Spl. and Russian "cowboy" loads for practice.

Unfortunately, after not firing this gun for several weeks I found I had regressed a little regarding my DA shooting. Disappointed in myself. It's a good gun but man is hard to shoot well.

I grab a Ruger LCR (.357) and have no problem getting the hits I expect. I grab the S&W M&P 2.0 .45 and its very easy for me to shoot it very well.

I decided I'd rather carry the S&W .45 than the GP100 in the woods / trails because it's just so easy to get good, fast hits with it. To that end I've ordered some hot .45 acp ammo for it. (1000 fps 230 gr FMJ)

I will keep the GP100. It's still a good gun. Maybe one day I'll get a lever-action .44, too. Or perhaps the only single action revolver I'm interested in, a break-top S&W model 3.

Feedback Score
    Ron, is your Smith .44 stock? Any halfway competent gunsmith should be able to put a lighter rebound slide spring in, and slick up the parts a little.
    It makes the double action much easier to live with.
    If you were closer (I'm in PA), I'd offer to do it.
    Understand what you're saying about autopistols for carry; much as I love Smith revos, I've been using a Glock 43 or a P365 as walking guns; they'll run snakeshot, and a FMJ nines should at least discourage a black bear.
    BTW, .45 snakeshot won't run in an auto; it's too long to eject.
    Moon

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Ditto, cast 240-grn lead with Unique loads did for me in my S-prefix pre-N frame, 4-screw S&W 44 Magnum. Fastest time I cleaned a table of bowling pins w/ it was 1.8 seconds.
    Given that 10-shots are a group and 5-shots may be a favorable trend ... know that just one good 3-shot group can make you an instant internet superstar!

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Love the .44 caliber revolvers. Had a Redhawk that I stupidly traded. Now have a S&W Mountain Gun that is accurate and fun to shoot from Cowboy loads to full steam W296 loads. I also was tempted to load it with medium .44 mag HP for home defense since I shoot it pretty well. But the G23 with weapon light and full power .40 ammo (14+13 rds easily carried) makes more sense. So the .44 is relegated to range fun and it’s original purpose of hiking and camping in big bear woods (not local).

It seemed Win 200 gr Silvertips was pretty decent .44 Special ammo but it is SAAMI spec so around 800 FPS.
    It is in vain, sir, to extenuate the matter. Gentlemen may cry, Peace, Peace but there is no peace. The war is actually begun! ... Is life so dear, or peace so sweet, as to be purchased at the price of chains and slavery? Forbid it, Almighty God! I know not what course others may take; but as for me, give me liberty or give me death!" - Patrick Henry in an address at St. John’s Church, Richmond, Virginia, on March 23, 1775.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Reloading is the ticket for wheel gun ammo. It's pricey because it lacks the volume sales that have driven 9 mm ammo into the toilet pricing. Having said that, I have several .44 Specials that shoot the Black Hills "Cowboy" load very well. For serious use against two legged vermin the Speer Gold Dot offering is good. For things that might bite or gore you or that are freezer bound, handload, pick an LBT style hardcast bullet and you can't go wrong.
    The truth can only offend those who live a lie.

Feedback Score
    For the last several decades, I've shot only one reload thru my 44 Special revolvers---a 240 grain hard cast SWC over 7.5 grains of Unique power with a standard primer---about 950 FPS---much stouter than the really weak factory Remington 246 which is actually pretty weak. A potent load, but not overly so---this is my go to round for both Specials and 44 Mags for causal shooting...

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by jyo View Post
    For the last several decades, I've shot only one reload thru my 44 Special revolvers---a 240 grain hard cast SWC over 7.5 grains of Unique power with a standard primer---about 950 FPS---much stouter than the really weak factory Remington 246 which is actually pretty weak. A potent load, but not overly so---this is my go to round for both Specials and 44 Mags for causal shooting...

That’s a good load, I’ve used it myself.

Lately I’ve been using a 205 grain swc with 6.5 grains of Unique and it’s a pretty accurate load.

Love the 44 special.

Ed

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast