Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: Amnesty, Gun Control, Top the Agenda if Dems Win Back the House

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by PatrioticDisorder View Post
    This is not a treaty, we are not a communist nation and nobody has a right to my labor.
    Thank you for your succinct response. No one should be able to compel me by force to provide healthcare for someone else.
    Last edited by grnamin; 10-22-18 at 10:46.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by BH321 View Post
    Article 25 of the Universal Declaration of Human Rights of which we are a signatory states, “Everyone has the right to a standard of living adequate for the health and well-being of himself and of his family, including food, clothing, housing and medical care and necessary social services.” Healthcare is innumerate as a right in both this document and several other United Nations declarations and treaties that we are party to.
    BH - you've been a member of this forum for long enough that you should know anything UN is a non-starter.

For the most part I'm in agreement with much of what you posted.

Let's talk about school systems for a moment.

My wife just retired after a very rewarding teaching career. She has a master's degree and enough additional formal training in evaluating and instructing visually impaired folks to equal a doctorate if they gave such a thing. Her highest annual salary was 56,000. But, she was off two months every summer, spring break, Christmas and New Years, etc. Most importantly, the job was self-actualizing. She only retired because she grew tired of doing the work of other teachers on top of her load (you'd have to understand the process of writing and updating IEP's to get it). So here she is, 56 years old, drawing 2/3 of her salary. Sure, we'd like it if she had been paid more, but as others have said, you know the deal going in, and, as I mentioned, there are bennies.

One of the real problems, as others have mentioned, is the imbalance between administrative and teaching salaries. But, that is a problem in almost every organization.

Quote Originally Posted by BH321 View Post
    There was a school in San Antonio that while I was living there purchased a new multimillion dollar football field. Their field was nicer than the field that we had at the college I graduated from! There is no excuse for doing this when they had just shrunk their music department and teachers were requesting donations for school supplies.
    Been there done that, music departments, especially stringed orchestras, are among the first programs impacted by budget cuts. Both daughters are/were musicians and swimmers, talk about two activities that receive minimal support.

We also built a mega stadium for our high school. We share it with the local JUCO and, in our case, it was voted on because bonds were issued and sales tax was involved. I was against it, but I was wrong. Since it was built our community has begun hosting national JUCO championship events in both football and track. In that aspect, it is an economic driver for our small community of 60,000. I also admit our situation is probably an anomaly.

One of the things that is always disheartening about these type conversations, to me at least, is the short-sightedness that folks demonstrate in their comments. As an example, I've known some pretty well-to-do farmers in my lifetime, most of them bitch about freeloaders, but they still cash those subsidy checks.

Oh, well.
    Patriotism means to stand by the country. It does not mean to stand by the President... - Theodore Roosevelt, Lincoln and Free Speech, Metropolitan Magazine, Volume 47, Number 6, May 1918.

Every Communist must grasp the truth. Political power grows out of the barrel of a gun. Our principle is that the Party commands the gun, and the gun must never be allowed to command the Party Mao Zedong, 6 November, 1938 - speech to the Communist Patry of China's sixth Central Committee

Feedback Score
    10 (100%)
    If you want a real treat. Turn on CSPAN and listen to debates and Dem pleadings. Holy Cow... it is bizarre. Fauxcohontas and Alec Baldwin are deranged.

The guy running against Feinstein.... "I am running for the soul of America against a president that has no soul" ... but he's actually running against Feinstein. ???? They are just all over the map with BS.

Alec Baldwin... "we need to overthrow the Trump government"

Mark Warner.... OMG.... nobody doing any investigation into Trump or Kavanaugh has really got it right but he would have....... but he's open to where ever the chips fall! ... BS BS BS... he wants Trump guilty and out of office so bad he can taste it.

They are running in circles like headless chickens and the head is just squawking "Trump!!" "Trump!!" "Trump!!"

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by tb-av View Post
    Alec Baldwin... "we need to overthrow the Trump government"
    Didn't he vow to move if Trump got elected?

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by grnamin View Post
    The fraud, waste and abuse in government. To say they are appalling is an understatement.

Sent from my G8341 using Tapatalk
    Here we go: $1280 coffee cups. To go with the $14000 toilet seats. Yes, taxes need to be raised don’t they?
    https://www.foxnews.com/us/air-force...s-senators-ire
    Philippians 2:10-11

To argue with a person who renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead. ~ Thomas Paine

“The greatest conspiracy theory is the notion that your government cares about you”- unknown.

Feedback Score
    Private education doesn't work? Someone tell the Jesuits that their 400 year old business model is Kaput.
    The Second Amendment ACKNOWLEDGES our right to own and bear arms that are in common use that can be used for lawful purposes. The arms can be restricted ONLY if subject to historical analogue from the founding era or is dangerous (unsafe) AND unusual.

It's that simple.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by FromMyColdDeadHand View Post
    Private education doesn't work? Someone tell the Jesuits that their 400 year old business model is Kaput.
    Well if they don’t stop touching little boys it might be.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by FromMyColdDeadHand View Post
    I sent my problem child to a Catholic boarding school, the change after one-year was remarkable. Unfortunately, because of all the reported abuses elsewhere, they closed after the first year he attended

I think the Jesuit's model is a little different than the Montessori model.
    Patriotism means to stand by the country. It does not mean to stand by the President... - Theodore Roosevelt, Lincoln and Free Speech, Metropolitan Magazine, Volume 47, Number 6, May 1918.

Every Communist must grasp the truth. Political power grows out of the barrel of a gun. Our principle is that the Party commands the gun, and the gun must never be allowed to command the Party Mao Zedong, 6 November, 1938 - speech to the Communist Patry of China's sixth Central Committee

Feedback Score
    25 (100%)

Exclamation

Millennial poster children.

These should be placed around the country like Burma-Shave signs.
    - Either you're part of the problem or you're part of the solution or you're just part of the landscape - Sam (Robert DeNiro) in, "Ronin" -

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by The_War_Wagon View Post
    Millennial poster children.

These should be placed around the country like Burma-Shave signs.
    You could put that in every Starbucks in the country and the millennials would think it was a campaign poster and agree with it.
    Philippians 2:10-11

To argue with a person who renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead. ~ Thomas Paine

“The greatest conspiracy theory is the notion that your government cares about you”- unknown.

Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast