Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Range Finder Advice

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Feedback Score
    33 (100%)

Range Finder Advice

I'm going to be shopping for a range finder soon, or asking for one for Christmas , but I've never used one before. I'll mainly be using it for practice, out plinking, and to verify distances as I learn to range with a mil dot reticle. It seems like a small, lightweight, pocket sized handheld model would suffice, but I don't know anything about them and how to use them. I'm starting my research now, but I thought I'd ask around here too.

What should I be looking for? What features should I consider a must, and or unnecessary? What are the brands, models, and price points I should be looking at? Ofc I want the most bang for my buck, but I like quality and believe you get what you pay for, so won't skimp for the sake of a few bucks.

Any and all input is welcome and appreciated.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    What are the longest ranges you anticipate lazing??
    "What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v

Feedback Score
    I do a lot of long range shooting and hunting and have used a lot of rangefinders (Bushnell, Leica, Gunworks, Vortex, Sig, Terrapin, Vectronics, etc), and I would say the best bang for your buck would be the Sig Kilo 2200MR. It will range out to 3,000 yards in perfect conditions (I've hit 3,340 with mine once), but will regularly range out to a mile with ease. It also has a fast scan mode and angle range compensation. You can get them for around $400.

Unless you need a rangefinder that will tie in all of your ballistic data and output your drops in MRAD/MOA, this is the best bang for the buck by far, in my opinion.

https://www.sigsauer.com/store/kilo2....html?___SID=U
    Last edited by B Cart; 10-16-18 at 18:28. Reason: added price

Feedback Score
    33 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by markm View Post
    What are the longest ranges you anticipate lazing??
    I'd say 2500 meters or so. Mostly in the 300-500 meter range currently, but I do have a standing invite to joint a long range shooting team, so a Ruger Precision Rifle may be in my near future, and then we're talking a mile plus.

Quote Originally Posted by B Cart View Post
    I do a lot of long range shooting and hunting and have used a lot of rangefinders (Bushnell, Leica, Gunworks, Vortex, Sig, Terrapin, Vectronics, etc), and I would say the best bang for your buck would be the Sig Kilo 2200MR. It will range out to 3,000 yards in perfect conditions (I've hit 3,340 with mine once), but will regularly range out to a mile with ease. It also has a fast scan mode and angle range compensation. You can get them for around $400.

Unless you need a rangefinder that will tie in all of your ballistic data and output your drops in MRAD/MOA, this is the best bang for the buck by far, in my opinion.

https://www.sigsauer.com/store/kilo2....html?___SID=U
    I've got a Romeo 4T that I like a lot, and was looking at the Sig offerings as a starting point. Sounds like possibly a finish line too.

Feedback Score
    204 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr McSimon View Post
    I'd say 2500 meters or so. Mostly in the 300-500 meter range currently, but I do have a standing invite to joint a long range shooting team, so a Ruger Precision Rifle may be in my near future, and then we're talking a mile plus.

I've got a Romeo 4T that I like a lot, and was looking at the Sig offerings as a starting point. Sounds like possibly a finish line too.
    Some good suggestions here already from members. But if you are going to be ranging 2500 meters, you will need some expensive kit to make anything happen at that range. A RPR rifle won't touch that distance. You will need a ChevTac or something that will really reach out and touch. 1609 meters is a mile.

What it sounds like you need in my opinion is just a sig kilo2000. It will range anything you will be able to shoot with 308, 6.5, 300 win, etc, etc. If your going to actually be needing to range and shoot targets farther, you will need to put it on a good tripod, etc. I think a kilo 2000 is perfect, cost effective and works for 99.999 percent of shooting. And you can find lightly used ones pop up sometimes for 200 bucks. The sig 2200 as mentioned is a really good rangefinder also.
    Last edited by Jwknutson17; 10-17-18 at 08:37.
    Philippians 4:13

Feedback Score
    94 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr McSimon View Post
    Vortex range finders are great ranger finders but none of their offerings are going to give you a 2500m read.
    What RPR are you looking at with that kind of range?
    "Texas has yet to learn submission to any oppression, come from what source it may."
    ~ Sam Houston

“The liberties of our country, the freedom of our civil constitution, are worth defending against all hazards: And it is our duty to defend them against all attacks.”
    ~ Sam Adams

Feedback Score
    18 (100%)
    Another vote for the Sig Kilo2000 or Kilo2200MR. Add a tripod adapter (or just gently clamp the rangefinder in something like a hogsaddle) for lazing longer ranges and you'll be able to range anything you're likely to hit with an RPR.

I've also had good luck with the Bushnell Elite 1 Mile ARC range finder (I prefer it's horizontal profile and it has a built in tripod mounting point on the bottom), but the Sig is just as capable for less money.

Feedback Score
    For the price, I’ve been very happy with my Sig Kilo2000 as well. I’ve also got quite a bit of time behind a Leica and was never overly impressed with it.

Feedback Score
    33 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by RobertTheTexan View Post
    Vortex range finders are great ranger finders but none of their offerings are going to give you a 2500m read.
    What RPR are you looking at with that kind of range?
    Yeah I haven't seen anything on Vortex like that, and based on everybody's opinions in this thread, it looks like I'll be going with a Sig K2000 or 2200. Part of the learning experience for me has also been about the distance itself, and really 2500 meters was a nice round number in my head to start with, with no real basis in application. It's obvious to me now that if I'm in a position to reach out that far, I'll know a whole lot more about things, and I have no need for that kind of power at the moment.

Thanks for all the input, this thread has been very helpful.

Feedback Score
    What about the new Nikon's with the anti-vibration tech that helps you hold it study wwhile lasing longer ranges?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast