Page 8 of 14 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast

Thread: Decorated Vietnam Veteran, POW Sentenced To 7+ Years For ‘Mistake’ Made Decades Ago

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by 26 Inf View Post
    From what I read of the case in the link I attached, seems to me he had a case on that one - and sued on behalf of his wife.
    Agree, seemed like reasonable action his part. But given his history, he probably irritated a lot of people along the way.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Well this is sort of a hard one for me... the guy sounds like kind of a dick but at the same time all gun control is unconstitutional so.....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    16 (100%)
    Serial number scratched off told me all I needed to know.

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    This may seem hard to believe, but pilots can be real assholes.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by bp7178 View Post
    Aesthetically it probably looked like hell too on the heel of that receiver.
    11C2P '83-'87
    Airborne Infantry
    F**k China!

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by CPM View Post
    This may seem hard to believe, but pilots can be real assholes.
    Oh!!! Looks like someone flunked out of flight school...
    U.S. Army vet. -- Retired 25 year LEO.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by bp7178 View Post
    Yep, serial number scratched off anything(or filed off in the case of a metal object) is a huge red flag to me. That and the rest of what was claimed in the article.

Don't know if he should have gotten the time he did but having stolen property with clear signs its stolen?

Feedback Score
    16 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by jsbhike View Post
    That stuff was in the article. So why was he not nailed on many of those crimes (most having a legit victim) instead of the one thing that didn't?
    Al Capone was jailed for income tax evasion.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by RHINOWSO View Post
    Al Capone was jailed for income tax evasion.
    True instead of legit victims.

As far as the stolen from government stores thing goes, there is no telling how many WWII era weapons floating around that share that characteristic. A fair amount of the MG registry was acquired in that manner. Forgotten Weapons recently covered an M16 with original serial # destroyed that was Amnesty Registered in 68. It was either Small Arms Review or MG News that covered a Thompson stolen by an FBI/Secret Service Agent and registered in 68 also....best I can recall it's serial number was defaced as well. Not seeing those scenarios as being worse than chopping them up or shipping them off to be used by international despots.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Like I said, World Class douchebag. And his lawyer is a World Class liar, bought it at a gun show BS.

Press Release:

https://www.justice.gov/usao-edtx/pr...arms-violation

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
    Friday, October 19, 2018
    Plano Man Sentenced to 7 Years for Firearms Violation

PLANO, Texas – A 70-year-old Plano, Texas man has been sentenced to federal prison for a firearms violation in the Eastern District of Texas, announced U.S. Attorney Joseph D. Brown.

Alfred Pick pleaded guilty on May 22, 2018, to a charge of possession of a firearm while an unlawful user of a controlled substance and was sentenced, pursuant to an agreement by all parties, to 87 months in federal prison on Oct. 17, 2018 by U.S. District Judge Marcia Crone.

According to information presented to the court, Plano police were called to an area hospital on Oct. 2, 2017, regarding a belligerent individual. Officers encountered Pick, who was upset about the treatment of a relative in the hospital, and had told medical staff and others, that he intended to return to the hospital with a firearm and “would shoot [hospital staff] in their kneecaps and elbows first and let them bleed.” Pick was taken into custody and delivered to mental health authorities for an evaluation.

As a result of the incident at the hospital, agents of the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms, and Explosives (ATF) opened an investigation that eventually received information that Pick possessed weapons and narcotics at his home. Agents obtained a search warrant and found over 2 grams of cocaine and over 10 grams of marijuana in Pick’s residence. Agents also discover 14 firearms at Pick’s residence, including a fully automatic machine gun with an obliterated serial number that witnesses later told investigators that Pick had admitted he stole while he served in the military.

The sentencing court also received information that Pick had repeatedly been cited for criminal trespass at various area hospitals for his aggressive behavior, involving both verbal and physical abuse of medical staff and impeding staff. The court also heard that police had been called on two prior occasions in 2014 to restaurant parking lots where patrons reported that Pick had been threatening and brandished handguns in encounters with him.

Additional information presented at sentencing revealed Pick’s daughter reported to investigators that Pick had sexually abused her from the time she was 4-years-old until the age of 17, taking nude photographs of her to, as he put it, “chart her growth” and sexually assaulting her.

Finally, the sentencing court received evidence that Pick threatened the Federal Magistrate Judge who detained him indicating he would fly his plane with explosives to kill the Judge and ATF agents who investigated his case. Pick also stated that he would “have taught the Las Vegas shooter a thing or two,” referring to the Oct. 1, 2017 mass shooting.

“Obviously, there was a lot more to the sentence that was received – a sentence that Mr. Pick and his lawyer agreed to – than a single gun with a missing serial number,” said U.S. Attorney Joseph D. Brown. “Although Mr. Pick was a decorated veteran, he would use that status routinely to try to excuse his repeated criminal behavior. This was also not a mental health issue. It became a public safety issue.”

“The people concerned for Mr. Pick’s safety when he honorably served our nation were the same people most-concerned for his and the public’s safety throughout our investigation,” stated ATF Special Agent in Charge Jeffrey C. Boshek II. “I applaud those that recognized and reported Mr. Pick’s abuse of controlled substances, amplified threats and intensified displays of physical and psychological aggression as well as the decisive action of the ATF Agents.”

In addition to the charge for which he was convicted, Pick was originally charged with two other violations – possession of an unregistered firearm and possession of a firearm with an obliterated serial number. As part of Pick’s agreement to plead guilty and agreement as to the term of his sentence, these charges were dismissed.

This case was investigated by the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms, and Explosives and prosecuted by Assistant U.S. Attorney Tracey Batson.

Page 8 of 14 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast