Page 1 of 14 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Decorated Vietnam Veteran, POW Sentenced To 7+ Years For ‘Mistake’ Made Decades Ago

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)

Decorated Vietnam Veteran, POW Sentenced To 7+ Years For ‘Mistake’ Made Decades Ago

https://dfw.cbslocal.com/2018/10/17/...e-decades-ago/

This is a great example of why 922(o) needs to be repealed (and I have 2 transferable MGs currently pending on form 4s). BATFE really took a hardened criminal off the streets with this one, thank God, I can now sleep well knowing I don’t have to worry about this 70 year old Vietnam Veteran who likes to fly his plane on his free time.

Feedback Score
    Little fuzzy on how he knew is was FA? No serial number is a tough bit of info to get around. Did they only find the gun after the pot?

This has a Trump pardon written all over it...
    The Second Amendment ACKNOWLEDGES our right to own and bear arms that are in common use that can be used for lawful purposes. The arms can be restricted ONLY if subject to historical analogue from the founding era or is dangerous (unsafe) AND unusual.

It's that simple.

Feedback Score
    Great example why actions, not things should be illegal (as a general rule).
    So they raided his house because he was smoking weed with his wife who had cancer.
    How did they find out about the weed?

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    I feel for the guy but there are a couple of things that need to be noted. He didn't just commit a crime 40 years ago, he knew it was illegal, so he willingly committed a crime every day he held on to that thing, knowing full well it was a huge no-no. The serial number was scratched off...come on. Should his sentence have been lighter? Yes, I think so, due to his history and non use of the firearm in general, but being a collector, he damn well knew better.

Feedback Score
    19 (100%)
    My POS brother-in-law is serving five years for killing a motorcyclist while he was drunk and driving. This guy gets 7 years for owning something that's illegal to posaess but was never used by him in the commission of a crime?
    Last edited by AndyLate; 10-18-18 at 07:38.

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Adrenaline_6 View Post
    I feel for the guy but there are a couple of things that need to be noted. He didn't just commit a crime 40 years ago, he knew it was illegal, so he willingly committed a crime every day he held on to that thing, knowing full well it was a huge no-no. The serial number was scratched off...come on. Should his sentence have been lighter? Yes, I think so, due to his history and non use of the firearm in general, but being a collector, he damn well knew better.
    I didn’t see any evidence he’d ever fired the weapon, I have no idea what a full auto M-14 vs. a semi auto M-14 looks
    like. The impression I had was BATFE found out he had a medical
    Marijuana card, knew he had firearms so he was raided and the full auto M-14 was found during that raid. This would have
    Been a perfect case for jury nullification. All gun control is unconstitutional, this man harmed no one and didn’t appear to be a threat to anyone. It illustrates how unjust US gun control laws are.

Quote Originally Posted by AndyLate View Post
    My POS brother-in-law is serving five years for killing a motorcyclist while he was drunk and driving. This guy gets 7 years for owning something that's illegal to posaess but was never used by him in the commission of a crime?
    ... And Ted Kennedy killed a woman, never even stood trial, very unfair.
    Last edited by PatrioticDisorder; 10-18-18 at 07:58.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by PatrioticDisorder View Post
    I didn’t see any evidence he’d ever fired the weapon, I have no idea what a full auto M-14 vs. a semi auto M-14 looks
    Marijuana card, knew he had firearms so he was raided and the full auto M-14 was found during that raid. This would have
    Been a perfect case for jury nullification. All gun control is unconstitutional, this man harmed no one and didn’t appear to be a threat to anyone. It illustrates how unjust US gun control laws are.

Regardless, until we get those laws changed, we follow the laws or face the consequences. We can't just do what we individually think is just regardless of the law or there would be chaos. Do you own any formed SBR's? If so, you and everyone here who does, went through the proper hoops regardless of how just you/they thought the laws were because you/they know the consequences of not doing so. This guy should have done the same. He knew...no excuses. Does it suck? Yes...absolutely.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    He's a victim of his own mistakes;
    Buying a firearm with the serial numbers scratched out, owning a full auto M14 without the proper paperwork? If he didn't know better, I would be very surprised.
    I would agree with you that all Gun Control is unjust, however if there are unjust Laws how do you fight them? This just looks like a very bad way to go about that.
    I don't think the BATFE had anything to do with putting two and two together on this case, it's much more likely someone ratted him out.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

There's only one problem with the medical marijuana card theory. This gentleman resides in Texas, and the only way to get medical marijuana in Texas is if a person has "intractable epilepsy". This gentleman also held a pilots license which he would not qualify for if he were an epileptic. The more likely scenario is that a "friend" that he showed the rifle to talked either directly or indirectly with the authorities.

Frankly, I don't have any sympathy for him because: A) he was in possession of a firearm which was probably stolen from the U.S. Military, B) the serial number was ground off the weapon - because it was stolen, C) the weapon was not registered as it should have been - again because it was stolen. Why should this guy get a pass just because of his prior service? It is because of his prior service that he had to know that the rifle was probably stolen from the military in the first place.

I bet there are several members of this forum who are prior service and then went through all of the necessary steps to purchase a full auto weapon legally. Why should this guy get a pass just because of his service and because he didn't use it to commit a crime?
    Last edited by TexHill; 10-18-18 at 09:11.
    A person who is not inwardly prepared for the use of violence against him is always weaker than the person committing the violence. - Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn, The Gulag Archipelago

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    I agree that the sentence is excessively harsh, and I would very much like to live in a world were this wouldnt be any sort of an issue. But he knew and as far as Ive ever known any actual govt M14 receiver falls under NFA no matter if the auto selector lug was demilled or not (typically done on NM guns). Scratching the serial number on such a thing is totally pointless, its bad ju ju with the serial or not.

Interestingly many years ago, when the M14 still held sway over at Camp Perry. The Gov't, through the DCM/CMP loaned out real deal NM M14s to various state rifle associations for use by junior competitor's (to whom a competitive M14 type service rifle was usually too expensive). A great many of these rifles "vanished" over the years through the loose controls placed over them and no serious effort was ever extended to round them up, that I ever heard of.

I hope none of those rifles leeds to something like this, because govt organizational half assery pretty much just tossed them out into the wild with a wink and said "These are for the kiddos, have fun!"

Sent from my SM-J727T using Tapatalk

Page 1 of 14 12311 ... LastLast