Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Recommend a 10.5”-12.5” 300BLK Hunting Upper

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Feedback Score
    8 (100%)

Recommend a 10.5”-12.5” 300BLK Hunting Upper

I’m thinking about putting together a dedicated 300BLK upper for white tail deer hunting. I’m thinking something in the 10.5” to 12.5” length. It will be shot suppressed 100% of the time. Since this will be solely used for hunting, it doesn’t need to be “duty grade”, and so I’m considering some less expensive options.

One maker I found just from googling is MAS Defense, who caught my eye because they offer different barrel options, one of which is a match grade stainless steel, which would fit the role nicely. However, I’ve never heard of them. I want to make sure the barrel has a good 90-degree shoulder and concentric threads, for suppressor use.

Any recommendations for a “budget friendly” option are welcome.
    Last edited by Captains1911; 10-18-18 at 19:02.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Captains1911 View Post
    I’m thinking about putting together a dedicated 300BLK upper for white tail deef hunting. I’m thinking something in the 10.5” to 12.5” length. It will be shot suppressed 100% of the time. Since this will be solely used for hunting, it doesn’t need to be “duty grade”, and so I’m considering some less expensive options.

One maker I found just from googling is MAS Defense, who caught my eye because they offer different barrel options, one of which is a match grade stainless steel, which would fit the role nicely. However, I’ve never heard of them. I want to make sure the barrel has a good 90-degree shoulder and concentric threads, for suppressor use.

Since you are looking to go for this one on the cheap side, how far are you honestly looking at taking shots? You might find that just about any barrel will do if you aren't taking shots that are very far. I use a pinned 14.5, but I think everything I've taken has been 50 yards or in.
    Stick

Board policy mandates I state that I shoot for BCM. I have also done work for 200 or so manufacturers within the firearm community. I am prior service, a full time LEO, firearm instructor, armorer, TL, martial arts instructor, and all around good guy.

I also shoot and write for various publications. Let me know if you know cool secrets or have toys worthy of an article...

Flickr Tumblr Facebook Instagram RECOILMAGAZINE OFF GRID RECOIL WEB

Feedback Score
    11 (92%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Stickman View Post
    Since you are looking to go for this one on the cheap side, how far are you honestly looking at taking shots? You might find that just about any barrel will do if you aren't taking shots that are very far. I use a pinned 14.5, but I think everything I've taken has been 50 yards or in.
    I'm with you Stick. I've been bouncing around a swamp build for a couple of years. Down here 50 yards is a long shot unless you hunt bean fields. 14.5 with a decent flash hider, A2 upper and FSB. Who needs more in the swamp??

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by GH41 View Post
    I'm with you Stick. I've been bouncing around a swamp build for a couple of years. Down here 50 yards is a long shot unless you hunt bean fields. 14.5 with a decent flash hider, A2 upper and FSB. Who needs more in the swamp??
    FL swamp? Sounds little like my back yard palmettos up to your waist, scrub oak and swamp deer. 50 is a reg shot at deer a few of us went to 16" 7.62x39 last year too much fun with subs/can. Crazy cheap for supers, subs not bad on sale still well under a buck...like deer balls. Can't go wrong with either for those ranges 300 or x39. Bow almost over smoke stick for 2 weeks.....then fun time. Good huntin
    Last edited by sasquatchoslav; 10-23-18 at 17:56.

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Stickman View Post
    With supersonic 300BLK, I’d probably limit my max distance to 125-150yds. I’m really more concerned with the barrel shoulder and threads than I am the accuracy. I was burned once before on a less expensive barrel that I wanted to shoot suppressed but couldn’t due to a taper vs. a shoulder where the mount indexes.
    Last edited by Captains1911; 10-18-18 at 19:07.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    If you are going with Supersonic rounds at less than 150yds might as well use 7.62x39 upper and go really cheap. Ammo and upper are going to be much cheaper than 300BLK and the 2-3MOA will be fine IMHO...

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by joeg26er View Post
    If you are going with Supersonic rounds at less than 150yds might as well use 7.62x39 upper and go really cheap. Ammo and upper are going to be much cheaper than 300BLK and the 2-3MOA will be fine IMHO...
    Not interested in 7.62.

Feedback Score
    I’d look at the Aero Precision options. They have quite a few 300BLK uppers. I don’t necessarily trust them for duty grade weaponry, but for hunting they’d probably be great. They have pretty frequent sales.

Feedback Score
    I know you said it does not need to be duty grade, but my brother loves his DD barrel I put in a build for him.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Captains1911 View Post
    I’m thinking about putting together a dedicated 300BLK upper for white tail deer hunting.

Are you open to building the upper yourself?

I have this barrel: http://www.gmriflebarrel.com/gm-m41-...-1-7-5r-twist/

I'm using a Silencerco Omega with an ASR 3-prong flash hider mount on it with no problems through about 100 rounds. I don't hunt anything but birds, so I'm kinda wondering why I built it.

I have used a lot of GM barrels, very happy with their quality.
    Patriotism means to stand by the country. It does not mean to stand by the President... - Theodore Roosevelt, Lincoln and Free Speech, Metropolitan Magazine, Volume 47, Number 6, May 1918.

Every Communist must grasp the truth. Political power grows out of the barrel of a gun. Our principle is that the Party commands the gun, and the gun must never be allowed to command the Party Mao Zedong, 6 November, 1938 - speech to the Communist Patry of China's sixth Central Committee

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast