Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Apparently the Canik TP9 is such a good PPQ clone....

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Bret View Post
    What about the triggers? Is the Canik trigger as nice as the Walther trigger, which is pretty much unmatched in polymer framed pistols?

Does the Canik TP40 choke on half the available 40S&W loadings like the 40S&W Walther PPQ does? Does Canik's customer service suck as bad as Walther's?

The Canik trigger comes off as a caricature of the PPQ trigger. I mean that in a good way, it’s hard to explain but both have great triggers but the PPQ does feel a bit cleaner and crisper. But again compared to stock Glocks and others the TP9 is excellent and it’s been a tack driver.

As for problems with the .40 I wouldn’t know (nor do I know about the customer service). This PPQ in 9mm is new to me and I have all of 300 rounds through it with no problems but I have yet to try any steel case ammo to see how it plays with the stepped chamber. The Canik has about 2k rounds with no problems either.
    Last edited by El Pistolero; 10-20-18 at 18:55.

Feedback Score
    Judging by the photos posted, will Walther file copyright infringement on Canik anytime soon? PPQ's are magnificently accurate, reliable, and outstanding out of box pistols which require no modifications (at least for me). Anything coming out of Turkish clone factories I would not bother with. Walther has a history, Canik, not so much as far as I know.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Evel Baldgui View Post
    Anything coming out of Turkish clone factories I would not bother with. Walther has a history, Canik, not so much as far as I know.
    I'm not sure exactly, but Canik has been producing firearms for a long time. I have several of their CZ75 clones (actually, they're more like Italian Tanfoglio clones) and they're top quality firearms.

In regard to Walther, there's no doubt they have a long history, but that unfortunately doesn't equate to their US facility have good customer service. I'll spare you most all the details because it would get this thread way off topic, but suffice it to say that Walter failed terribly when they chambered the PPQ in 40S&W. Mine chokes constantly with multiple factory loads and has chatter marks on the underside of the barrel caused by the recoil spring. When I sent it in for repair, they put a few rounds through it and declared that nothing was wrong with it. I then sent it back with a video of it choking on multiple factory loads and pointed out how the recoil spring was causing chatter marks on the barrel. They then were able to duplicate the problem, but their head gunsmith said that he didn't like the factory ammunition I was using. Of course this same ammo works in all of my other 40S&W pistols without issue and the manual that came with the pistol says that SAAMI ammunition must be used, which all of it is. They then tried to charge me for their service. I refused to pay and they told me that they would not return my pistol until I did. Since an unreliable pistol is as useless as a man's tits, I called their bluff. Several months later, my pistol showed up at my house. The bottom line is that Walther USA has failed to take ownership of this design problem. Others on the Walther forum have described similar experiences with the 40S&W PPQ. I do own a 9mm PPQ that's been 100% and my daily carry gun is a 9mm PPS, so I have no concern that these issues impact their 9mm pistols. But if something were ever to go wrong, I wouldn't have an expectation that Walther USA would make it right. Realistically, Canik's customer service couldn't be worse.

Feedback Score
    I have an el cheapo Walther PPX. It's been 100% reliable and accurate right out of the box. The gun looks like a 2x4 with a grip attached, so Walther re-contoured it into the (badly named) Creed.

Feedback Score
    The Turkish companies (Canik, Sarsilmaz, Tisas, etc.) have garnered a loyal following here in the US with their clones. I don't think I would compare them to a genuine Walther or HK, but their reliability and overall QC seems to be on par with most other companies and better than some (Remington?).

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Slater View Post
    The Turkish companies (Canik, Sarsilmaz, Tisas, etc.) have garnered a loyal following here in the US with their clones. I don't think I would compare them to a genuine Walther or HK, but their reliability and overall QC seems to be on par with most other companies and better than some (Remington?).
    I agree, they have caught on and are good for the price. I picked up a Sar B6p full size for a truck gun for like $240. It isn't my most shoot gun or anything but have about 2.5k rounds through it over the last 2 years. Not one failure when I have shot it. I had a buddy that never shot before I took to the range and did have a couple failures with federal aluminum because if limp wristing. If it was full power ammo it probably would have been fine

Thinking about trying the sfx version of the Canik to see how I like a red dot on a pistol. It's only like $469 with the slide cut for dot

Feedback Score
    I did not realize it was basically a PPQ 2 internally with a less ugly look when I got mine.

I was impressed with how good it was.

After coming to that conclusion, I have done some playing around.

Out of the box, the Canik trigger is 90% of the excellent of the PPQ. The PPQ gets like one percent better with use,
    The Canik after a few dozen magazines becomes indistinguishable in my opinion from a new or used PPQ trigger.
    “Where weapons may not be carried, it is well to carry weapons.”

Feedback Score
    11 (100%)
    There was an article on all outdoors about the Sar9 being a pretty good copy of a glock and hk. Showed the inner frame next to a glock 17 and pretty similar. Turkey isn't worried about using other gun company's dimensions.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by ramairthree View Post
    I did not realize it was basically a PPQ 2 internally with a less ugly look when I got mine.

I was impressed with how good it was.

After coming to that conclusion, I have done some playing around.

Out of the box, the Canik trigger is 90% of the excellent of the PPQ. The PPQ gets like one percent better with use,
    The Canik after a few dozen magazines becomes indistinguishable in my opinion from a new or used PPQ trigger.

When I was writing my earlier reply I actually had that same exact number in my mind, that the Canik trigger is 90% of what the PPQ trigger is. Spot on. That extra 10% difference is just enough to tell them apart when they're side by side but someone who only owns a Canik isn't missing much with the trigger.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    I would also add that the Canik finish feels like cheap semi-glossy paint compared to the Tenifer finish used on the Walther.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast