Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Law Tactical Gen3 Folder

Feedback Score
    30 (100%)

Law Tactical Gen3 Folder

Used the search function and the most recent posts other then EE listings I can find are from 2013 or so. Hoping to be able to get more recent information.

Bought a Gen3 Law Tactical folder for my range-only rifle over back in the spring for storage/transport reasons. Liked the adapter a lot as it let me use the gear I already had, didn't affect performance in any way that I could notice, weight was negligible, and left me with an over-all positive impression.

Since then I no longer have my range-only rifle but kept the folding adapter. Recently I've been considering installing it on my primary/"serious" rifle, primarily for the storage/transport reasons. I'm curious if anyone that has had any generation of Law Tactical folder adapter and are still using them, what are their over-all thoughts on them? Do you use them on your primary/go-to/duty/SHTF rifles? If so, have you ran into any issues? If not, would you mind sharing why? At the moment I'd prefer to use the gear and equipment I have on-hand over purchasing/building an entirely new SBR or pistol build.

Thank you in advance for sharing any information.
    Our Liberties we prize and our Rights we will defend.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    I have two LAW folders, I bought new and one bought used from a member.

The original one was used on a pistol build while awaiting my stamps. I got it for the express purpose of covert backpack carry and stashing in in the bag of my street glide. For me, I quickly found covert carrying an SBR/AR pistol to be a major PITA

I SBR'ed and suppressed the pistol for the purpose of my HD rifle, and left the law folder attached, although that rifle doesn't really need it any longer.

The second folder is on a 300 pistol build I did so I could have another short upper available for the SBR and also engage in my saddlebag carry fantasies.

I have not had any problems with function. I regularly have 'duh' moments when field stripping, but that is merely irritating, not a problem.

I found that with a suppressor attached, even with the folder, my sbr is too large, IMO, for covert carry. I don't store them folded, as that would just take up more room in the safe - generally MSR/SBR length is not a storage problem in a gun safe.

In terms of vehicle carry, I suppose that is a matter of how you want to carry. In my truck there is no problem stowing a full length rifle where I carry. In my car I just shove the rifle under the dog hammock. In my wife's car I stow it differently, but don't need to use the folder.

Un-suppressed, an SBR can fit in a backpack with the stock folded, and that would be handy to stow in the front passenger floorboard, or in a seat back carrier like the Sig: https://www.dowdlesports.com/SigTac-...k_p_10572.html

I have them, probably will keep them, but not really getting much benefit from them at this time.
    Patriotism means to stand by the country. It does not mean to stand by the President... - Theodore Roosevelt, Lincoln and Free Speech, Metropolitan Magazine, Volume 47, Number 6, May 1918.

Every Communist must grasp the truth. Political power grows out of the barrel of a gun. Our principle is that the Party commands the gun, and the gun must never be allowed to command the Party Mao Zedong, 6 November, 1938 - speech to the Communist Patry of China's sixth Central Committee

Feedback Score
    30 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by 26 Inf View Post
    I have two LAW folders, I bought new and one bought used from a member.

The original one was used on a pistol build while awaiting my stamps. I got it for the express purpose of covert backpack carry and stashing in in the bag of my street glide. For me, I quickly found covert carrying an SBR/AR pistol to be a major PITA

I SBR'ed and suppressed the pistol for the purpose of my HD rifle, and left the law folder attached, although that rifle doesn't really need it any longer.

The second folder is on a 300 pistol build I did so I could have another short upper available for the SBR and also engage in my saddlebag carry fantasies.

I have not had any problems with function. I regularly have 'duh' moments when field stripping, but that is merely irritating, not a problem.

I found that with a suppressor attached, even with the folder, my sbr is too large, IMO, for covert carry. I don't store them folded, as that would just take up more room in the safe - generally MSR/SBR length is not a storage problem in a gun safe.

In terms of vehicle carry, I suppose that is a matter of how you want to carry. In my truck there is no problem stowing a full length rifle where I carry. In my car I just shove the rifle under the dog hammock. In my wife's car I stow it differently, but don't need to use the folder.

Un-suppressed, an SBR can fit in a backpack with the stock folded, and that would be handy to stow in the front passenger floorboard, or in a seat back carrier like the Sig: https://www.dowdlesports.com/SigTac-...k_p_10572.html

I have them, probably will keep them, but not really getting much benefit from them at this time.
    Thanks for the information. Will have to look further into that Sig bag or something along those lines. My only vehicle at the moment is a '97 TJ soft top with a Bestop "trunk" behind the rear seat. My Take Down bag fits inside the trunk well, part of why I've been thinking about moving the folding adapter to my main rifle (fits inside the bag and wouldn't have to separate the receivers). Other than the repetitive assembly/disassembly aspect I like the bag for its smaller size which allows to secure it in my Jeep if I make any stops to/from the range or traveling.
    Our Liberties we prize and our Rights we will defend.

Feedback Score
    I have two.

First is on my .300blk 10.3" pistol that I keep in a rigid tool case. It also fits into a standard backpack.

Second is on my 11.3" SBR. I used this setup at a Paul Howe class earlier this year. Worked great for it.

Feedback Score
    22 (100%)
    For your needs, do a pistol build with one, you will like it. It will go into smaller bags/packs and doesn't appear that you have a firearm. Do be mindful of the dreaded "13.5" lop issue on pistols if using the folder as it adds length. When setting up a fixed stock like the blade, just set it shorter. If using the adjustable, some are filling in the last notch so it doesn't exceed 13" when extended.
    GET IN YOUR BUBBLE!

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    What's this 13.5 LOP issue?

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    I've never heard of it either. If I was to hazard a guess it would be that ATF figures a LOP over 13.5 with a brace negates actually using it as a forearm brace.
    Patriotism means to stand by the country. It does not mean to stand by the President... - Theodore Roosevelt, Lincoln and Free Speech, Metropolitan Magazine, Volume 47, Number 6, May 1918.

Every Communist must grasp the truth. Political power grows out of the barrel of a gun. Our principle is that the Party commands the gun, and the gun must never be allowed to command the Party Mao Zedong, 6 November, 1938 - speech to the Communist Patry of China's sixth Central Committee

Feedback Score
    50 (100%)
    13.5” what?

Feedback Score
    The ATF has given some context to some in the industry, that when the LOP gets above 13.5" it starts getting into a grey area as to whether or not it's actually intended to be used as a brace, or intended to be used as a stock.

Given that, it seems to be a good idea to keep the LOP a bit shorter than that.

On my .300blk pistol, with the LAW folder, the LOP is right at 12.5".

Feedback Score
    82 (100%)
    I have a Gen 3 LAW folder. I like it, seems to work as advertised so far, granted I only have a few hundred rounds through the pistol it's on, and have not gone crazy folding it over and over to "test" the hinge or whatever... but it does seem pretty darn solid, if heavy.

I got if for the exact same reason- vehicle storage reasons for a pistol. It's kind of a must-have if you want to run a not-pointless-length barrel for 5.56 and still have use a smaller bag to store the thing....
    "Once we get some iron in our souls, we'll get some iron in our hands..."

"...A rapid, aggressive response will let you get away with some pretty audacious things if you are willing to be mean, fast, and naked."-Failure2Stop

"The Right can meme; the Left can organize. I guess now we know which one is important." - Random internet comment

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast