Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: RATS Tourniquet Sling? Feedback Sought

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by ExplorinInTheWoods View Post
    DO NOT USE A RATS TQ. The TCCC committee has deemed that the RATS is not able to stop bleeding. My buddies that are socm medics refuse to use them. They don't work.
    2nd'd

The CAT and SWAT are what I have heard are the recommended TQs now. The SWAT is very good and being intuitive, easy to apply, works well and fits nicely in an IFAK, but it is not one-handed deploy able which is why the 2nd TQ is recommended to be the CAT.

Feedback Score
    60 (100%)
    I'm eagerly awaiting the lawsuits that are inevitable against the companies making these shoddy TQ's. Use a CAT or a SOF-T. Use those, or you might die.

Feedback Score
    46 (100%)
    As I understand it, the wider tourniquet, the less pressure needed to work properly. There's research to support this; I can't find my references right now but Google it.

This makes sense on a lot of levels. Why isn't the blood pressure cuff at the doctor's office excruciating to use? It's nice and wide, so it takes less pressure to stop the blood flow. Imagine if it were a 1/2" strap....yikes!

When one tourniquet isn't fully stopping blood flow, the recommendation is to apply another above it. This effectively creates a wide tourniquet, and blood flow can be stopped with less tension on each compared to a single tourniquet.

I'm not a doc/medic, so do your own research and get trained on the better tourniquets to carry.

Sent from my ZTE A2017U using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    13 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Vandal View Post
    One of my partners has his CAT rubber banded to his stock on patrol, just rips right off if he needs it. Slings for sling things, real TQs for tourniquet things.
    I'm way late to this, but is there a certain type of banD that works the best for securing the CAT? I see guys running them all the time, but I have always guessed it was a bicycle tube.
    Last edited by WickedWillis; 10-23-18 at 12:07.
    98% Sarcastic. 100% Overthinking things and making up reasons for buying a new firearm.

Feedback Score
    46 (100%)
    EPDM bands work well for this. UV and weather resistant. This stuff is also used as a roofing material.

Sent from my ZTE A2017U using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by WickedWillis View Post
    I'm way late to this, but is there a certain type of banD that works the best for securing the CAT? I see guys running them all the time, but I have always guessed it was a bicycle tube.
    That's what "Ranger Bands" are. Or you can pay somebody to slice up the $5 inner tube and charge you $20.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    I've always used hair ties for mine. I've found that rubber bands or tubes eventually dry rot after time exposed to the elements.

Feedback Score
    82 (100%)
    Given this is for LEO, your guys don't have a pouch or pocket somewhere to put a real TQ?
    Also, since these are pool guns why not a butt-stock type option? It seems to me this might be a little more secure, as well as less "in the way" option....
    "Once we get some iron in our souls, we'll get some iron in our hands..."

"...A rapid, aggressive response will let you get away with some pretty audacious things if you are willing to be mean, fast, and naked."-Failure2Stop

"The Right can meme; the Left can organize. I guess now we know which one is important." - Random internet comment

Feedback Score
    45 (100%)
    This is a bit off topic, but is the RATS Tourniquet a viable option for
    children or dogs?
    Last edited by TXBK; 10-24-18 at 17:24.
    To educate a man in mind and not in morals is to educate a menace to society. --Theodore Roosevelt--

Feedback Score
    52 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by TXBK View Post
    This is a bit off topic, but is the RATS Tourniquet a viable option for
    children or dogs?
    The SWAT-T is a much better choice for this.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast