Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: In praise of my favorite gun, my Beretta 92G-SD

Feedback Score
    24 (100%)

In praise of my favorite gun, my Beretta 92G-SD

For years I avoided Beretta 92s. Having been brought up on P7M8s, the grip felt really large and at the time I thought a large grip was a bad thing in a combat pistol. 3-4 years back I was in a class with Earnest Langdon and he was singing the praises, so I started looking again. But I still didn't jump in. But then, my buddy Wes bought one of the Wilson B92s and decided he wanted to swap it. I tried it out and it was pretty good, but I had a CZ SP-01 that I felt pretty much covered the same category (high cap bullet hose than can be left loaded with out a holster without being concerned (DA/SA)).

Anyway, a few years back a burglar stole my SP-01 and then I decided to give the B92G-SDs I saw at Barrow's a try. I don't know what the difference was, but the G-SD felt better. I even compared it against my friends SP-01 and even with the slightly lighter weight we both agreed, the Beretta was smoother and faster on target on follow up shots. Since then I have shot the living snot out of it. I actually had a back up for a while, but sold it a few months back when I decided to by some acreage.

While I have owned it I have owned 1911s, HKVP9, Glock G19 G5, CZ P10, Sig 320, M&P 9C 2.0. All of them were, for the most part, good. But I just don't care for the plastic striker guns. I do, however still love my 1911. I shoot my B92G faster, and more accurately. I ran a lot of ammo through different guns, and for me the B92 kept coming up on top.

That being said, I don't carry autoloaders daily. My daily carry is a regular old J-frame with laser grips. Being self employed and a city court solicitor I can carry my handgun pretty much anywhere in GA (I keep it sane, but I pretty much carry everywhere, including sitting in my recliner at home---so a J-frame is pretty much the best choice for me). The B92 is basically my beside the bed and home defense/doomsday piece.

I keep a X400 with DG switch, 17 round with extra 17 rounder just in case ready for bump in the night duty, its main job being to get me to my 870 or M4 is stuff has gone truly sideways. She had right under 8000 rounds and I have swapped the Recoil spring once about 5k ago. It may be time to do it again.

Here she is!

Untitled by stoiclawyer, on Flickr

Let those who are fond of blaming and finding fault, while they sit safely at home, ask, ‘Why did you not do thus and so?’I wish they were on this voyage; I well believe that another voyage of a different kind awaits them.”

Christopher Columbus

Feedback Score
    19 (100%)
    I was hoping you would post an update on this thing. Great to hear it is still running like a sewing machine.

My Brig Tac and SD are two of my favorite guns.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    32 (100%)
    I've had both a 92G-SD and a Wilson 92G BrigTac and both were the nicest DA/SA autos I've ever owned. The only nicer 9mm I've owned was a jamomatic Dan Wesson V-Bob (it was a bare stainless steel gun and I understand, now, that you need a special stainless steel lube with Dan Wesson 1911s - part of why I don't own any Dan Wessons any longer). But I don't see any 9mm other than maybe an EDC X9 taking the place of, "favorite pistol," away from my 1911.
    Last edited by MountainRaven; 10-21-18 at 21:52.
    " Nil desperandum - Never Despair. That is a motto for you and me. All are not dead; and where there is a spark of patriotic fire, we will rekindle it. "
    - Samuel Adams -

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    I've wanted a Beretta. When I was shopping for a new 9 I bought a Glock 19 Gen 5, I never thought I'd buy a plastic pistol. I'm sort of looking for another 9, I love the Glock but I'm still intrigued with the Beretta.

Feedback Score
    26 (100%)
    I'm surprised you haven't sold it. LOL

Better put a leash on the SD or it's going to walk away from you just like the SP01 and the Wilson.

Riots are like sports, it's better to watch it on TV at home.

Feedback Score
    24 (100%)
    It is too beat up to sell for anything I would take. It is in a better location these days. One day my Wilson and SP-01 shall return.
    Let those who are fond of blaming and finding fault, while they sit safely at home, ask, ‘Why did you not do thus and so?’I wish they were on this voyage; I well believe that another voyage of a different kind awaits them.”

Christopher Columbus

Feedback Score
    16 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Sam View Post
    I'm surprised you haven't sold it.

Feedback Score
    26 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Greg Bell View Post
    It is too beat up to sell for anything I would take. .
    I'll give you two fiddy

Riots are like sports, it's better to watch it on TV at home.

Feedback Score
    That is a great variant of a classic, accurate, and reliable platform.

That series is well represented on one of my pistol walls.

“Where weapons may not be carried, it is well to carry weapons.”

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Looks like you are missing one...the LTT Elite. I have one, great trigger.

Quote Originally Posted by ramairthree View Post
    That is a great variant of a classic, accurate, and reliable platform.

That series is well represented on one of my pistol walls.

ETC (SW/AW), USN (1998-2008)
    CVN-65, USS Enterprise

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast