Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Bolt under cartridge FTF/Malf

Feedback Score
    22 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by ruckusjuice View Post
    It appears to be a brass over bolt malfunction. Have your buddy go on YouTube and search for a video called Mike Pannone AR Malfunction Clearance. He has a very simple way to clear one of these malfunctions that will immediately have you questioning why no one ever taught you this before. Basically, drop the mag, brace the muzzle on the deck and the buttstock on your chest, pull the charging handle back as far as it will go and use the bolt lock (or your fingers if the bolt lock can’t engage) to hold the BCG in place while you push the charging handle forward. With the BCG held in place, the round will be able to drop free. Once you see the video it’s a lot more clear than my explanation.
    Great video.

Feedback Score
    IMAG0785.jpg

Happened last year to a coworker. Thank God he wasn't using one of those crummy plastic magazines

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    These are rare enough that it’s a stop the range and everyone come watch kinda thing.
    AQ planned for years and sent their A team to carry out the attacks, and on Flight 93 they were thwarted by a pick-up team made up of United Frequent Fliers. Many people look at 9/11 and wonder how we can stop an enemy like that. I look at FL93 and wonder, "How can we lose?". -- FromMyColdDeadHand

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    I sent the guy the video and did some virtual hand-holding by email. He cleared the AR in seconds.

Now he says I am a genius.

No. You guys are. I am just the conduit.

Thanks for the help. I had never seen this malf before, and now I know what to do.
    'That whole effort was held together by sweat, shame, and a tiny bit of pride.' -- Son of Commander Paisley

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Finally found the mortaring while pressing the bolt hold open instructions in the 1985 M16/M16A1and 1983 M16A2 operator manuals complete with sketches showing how. The 1998 operators manual mentions the malfunction, but no info on how to get it out. 1989 and newer marksmanship manuals describe clearing like Dano5326 stated.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by ruckusjuice View Post
    ... search for a video called Mike Pannone AR Malfunction Clearance...
    Thanks for this tip. Before I retired (from LE), I had a double feed with my BCM4 w/ Pmag at the Range (nothing cheap or worn out about my equipment). Still don’t know why it happened but it was a real hassle.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    The only thing mentioned as a potential cause I noticed while reviewing the manuals last night was slapping the mag up so hard as to jump a cartridge past the feed lips.

Feedback Score
    That definitely could have been the cause.

BTW, thanks for the input guys. Never to old to learn.
    Last edited by ThirdWatcher; 10-25-18 at 05:43. Reason: Thanks

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by jsbhike View Post
    The only thing mentioned as a potential cause I noticed while reviewing the manuals last night was slapping the mag up so hard as to jump a cartridge past the feed lips.
    I had a few of these this year with work Okay mags because of that.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12