Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New rifle scope

Feedback Score
    13 (100%)

New rifle scope

I just received a Bergara HMR 6.5 CM.

Purpose of the rifle is 95% hunting and a little distance shooting.

I'm going to be shooting about 350 yards normally and when I am having fun up to 3/4 of a mile.

Scope power range I'm looking at is 4-16 or 6-24

Budget for the scope is not fantastic by any means but should allow me to get into a decent scope.

$550 is cheapest I'll go and 700ish is my max.

I have looked into the athlon midas Tac in both powers. Trijicon acuepower 4-16. Vortex has several offerings in that price point as well.

All previous scopes I have had are second focal plane. Is FFP that much better or necessary?

I like lockable turrets but captured ones like on the trijicon is not really a deal breaker. I would like a good zero stop.

Reticle, I'm use to just standard mil reticale scopes. I do like the "Christmas tree" style, I can see the benefits for sure.

If anyone wants to recommend some thing or validate the choice I mentioned that would be great. Bolt action is new to me, and so are scopes that fit this distance able rifle.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    I have the same rifle. It's great so far. I put a Nightforce NXS 5-22x50 on it. I also have Nightforce SHV 4-14x50 F1 on a precision AR. In these magnification ranges I've found I vastly prefer ffp. I like being able to hold for wind or make adjustments by spotting my misses at any power. So I would recommend ffp if possible.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    You should keep saving and spend more than your current budget. $700 is not going to get you an optic that is appropriate for your needs/wants IMO.
    SLG Defense 07/02 FFL/SOT

Feedback Score
    13 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by dmd08 View Post
    I have the same rifle. It's great so far. I put a Nightforce NXS 5-22x50 on it. I also have Nightforce SHV 4-14x50 F1 on a precision AR. In these magnification ranges I've found I vastly prefer ffp. I like being able to hold for wind or make adjustments by spotting my misses at any power. So I would recommend ffp if possible.
    FFP is not necessarily hard to get really anymore from what I can tell. Those NF are very nice optics for sure!

What kind of ammo are you using? Factory or hand loads?

Feedback Score
    13 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by JoshNC View Post
    You should keep saving and spend more than your current budget. $700 is not going to get you an optic that is appropriate for your needs/wants IMO.
    I'm opening to hearing more about this. I like quality but I'm never going to be shooting super long ranges because it's just not available in my area and I don't really have the time or will power to make the effort that I feel a $1200+ scope might help me with.

Hunting is the main purpose, on my precision AR I had a 3x9 vxr patrol that was nice, just under powered for this rifle.

I kind of thought the price range might be adequate, but like I said I'm learning here and if I'm missing something I definitely want to be educated.

Last edited by kenny256; 10-04-18 at 20:09.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    With a maximum upper magnification of 14-15 times, I don't consider second focal plane to be that much of a hindrance. If you need to use max magnification for wind holds or ranging via the reticle, unless it's ridiculously hot, mirage shouldn't be an issue. If the scope's got good turrets, then dialing for elevation is easy enough.

Vortex's PST Gen 2 3-15x44 in second focal plane isn't an unreasonable amount above your budget, and can likely be found on sale.

It's a shame Leupold doesn't offer the VX-R Patrol in 4.5-14, cause that would be a solid budget friendly option.

I picked up a VX-3i 4.5-14x40 with side focus early in the summer, with the now discontinued Varmint Hunter's reticle, and it's worked out really well so far.

Feedback Score
    13 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by grizzman View Post
    With a maximum upper magnification of 14-15 times, I don't consider second focal plane to be that much of a hindrance. If you need to use max magnification for wind holds or ranging via the reticle, unless it's ridiculously hot, mirage shouldn't be an issue. If the scope's got good turrets, then dialing for elevation is easy enough.

Vortex's PST Gen 2 3-15x44 in second focal plane isn't an unreasonable amount above your budget, and can likely be found on sale.

It's a shame Leupold doesn't offer the VX-R Patrol in 4.5-14, cause that would be a solid budget friendly option.

I picked up a VX-3i 4.5-14x40 with side focus early in the summer, with the now discontinued Varmint Hunter's reticle, and it's worked out really well so far.
    First thing I looked for was the leupold in that magnification. They would sell so fast if they did!

Feedback Score
    Take a look at the new Primary Arms 3-18 on the low end of your budget. Sever different reticle options and getting good intial reviews. If you decide on an Athlon call Doug at Camera Land New York.

Feedback Score
    13 (100%)
    I'll check those out! I did call Doug and he recommended the BTR lower end magnification and better quality with better reticle and illumination.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by JoshNC View Post
    $700 is not going to get you an optic that is appropriate for your needs/wants IMO.
    In my experience (not opinion), $700 buys a perfectly suitable scope for his needs/wants: SWFA 3-15X42. Comes in first and second focal plane options and with milliradians or MOA adjustments/reticles. Japanese made, acceptable optical performance and outstanding mechanical performance (the most important attribute for me).

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast