Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Suggestions for an 11.5" or 12" barrel and perm attached silencer....

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

Suggestions for an 11.5" or 12" barrel and perm attached silencer....

Other than "don't do that" or "just use a pistol", what would be your suggestions for an 11.5" or 12" barrel and perm attached silencer?

I'm thinking of using it with a Cavarms lower hence not a pistol option.

Speaking of which, as an aside, I know that GWACS is working on a new Cavarms-ish polymer lower. It sure would be interesting if they were to make one with an integral proprietary tube (for strength and legal reasons) and have a brace made for it.

TED

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    I guess the first question is why?
    AQ planned for years and sent their A team to carry out the attacks, and on Flight 93 they were thwarted by a pick-up team made up of United Frequent Fliers. Many people look at 9/11 and wonder how we can stop an enemy like that. I look at FL93 and wonder, "How can we lose?". -- FromMyColdDeadHand

Feedback Score
    Griffin GPS has a direct thread with a hole for pinning.

https://www.griffinarmament.com/gp5-...lencer-1-2x28/

Iirc AAC made one as well, not sure if they still do.

Feedback Score
    22 (100%)
    Definitely look for a barrel with a dedicated suppressed gas port or some other way to correct the gas drive.

With a permanently attached suppressor, you'll want it to run right.
    Last edited by Clint; 10-24-18 at 09:48.
    Black River Tactical
    BRT OPTIMUM Hammer Forged Chrome Lined Barrels - 11.5", 12.5", 14.5", 16"
    BRT EZTUNE Preset Gas Tubes - PISTOL, CAR, MID, RIFLE
    BRT Bolt Carrier Groups M4A1, M16 CHROME
    BRT Covert Comps 5.56, 6X, 7.62

Feedback Score
    40 (100%)
    First thing to do is make a list of your priorities for the suppressor.

Examples of item you may want to prioritize. Much easier to recommend a suppressor when we know what exactly you want to use it for and what from the below list you value the most.

-Mount/locking mechanism
    -db reduction
    -POI shift
    -Accuracy
    -Blowback on semiautomatic weapons
    -Signature (flash etc.)
    -Durability
    -Customer service/support
    -Weight
    -Price
    -If the cool kids are running these

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by TED View Post
    "don't do that"
    I agree. How would you ever run a patch or any cleaning solution? Suppressed is messy, and other than a bore snake (which is simply a futile exercise in futility), it would be very difficult to clean without accidentally having something end up in your baffles.
    "What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by markm View Post
    I agree. How would you ever run a patch or any cleaning solution? Suppressed is messy, and other than a bore snake (which is simply a futile exercise in futility), it would be very difficult to clean without accidentally having something end up in your baffles.
    In accordance with factory recommendations I rarely clean 5.56 suppressors. If I did I could use an ultrasonic, or a solvent soak and vibrator. My buddy has a black aces po boy and we put close to 1,000 rounds (just shy) at least 600 of it which was full auto in a single range trip over about 2-3 hours. It had been used before and has been used since. AFAIK it has still never been cleaned and it is fine. Gem-Techs FAQ actually cautions about cleaning 5.56 cans. As for the barrel, I love boresnakes and they work well for me. Also the primary reason to avoid cleaning from the muzzle is to avoid crown damage. With the suppressor acting as a bore guide this would be a non-issue.

My goal is to have a Cavarms lower because I LOVE them (I did arctic weather prototype testing for them ans still have protoype #6) and a NON-SBR upper so that I can travel freely and without filing a 5320-20.

My primary concern with the suppressor is the length to decibel reduction and cost. I don't care about diameter or weight or materials, non does it need to be full auto rated.

BTW, since the suppressor will easily outlast the barrel many times over, when the barrel is done, I will attempt to to recover the suppressor.

TED

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Gotcha... I was referring to the barrel only. We don't clean cans... just the mounts every so often.
    "What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by TED View Post

My goal is to have a Cavarms lower because I LOVE them (I did arctic weather prototype testing for them ans still have protoype #6) and a NON-SBR upper so that I can travel freely and without filing a 5320-20.

TED
    Correct me if I'm wrong but don't you need file the same or similar form for the suppressor if you want to goto another state with it?

If I was going to run a fixed stock lower I'd not be trying to run a super short upper. Have you considered a pinned 14.5" or just a 16" barrel and direct thread silencer?

I would use an extreme reduced gas port 11.5" barrel from sionics if I was going to perm run a suppressor on a barrel.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    I know you don't want the "don't do it" answer. But man, with the SBA3 available now I see now reason to pin a can on a 11.5.

I went from no Braces and a few SBR lowers to now having 2 SBA3's and planning to buy more.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast