Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Never knew I had an astigmatism

Feedback Score
    20 (100%)
    I have mild astigmatism in my right eye. I wear contacts daily with a specially made one in my right eye for the astigmatism. I've never had any issues with red dots when wearing my contacts. I'll have to try it without them one day to see just how bad it is.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by trvsAR View Post
    Ive heard a few other people say that the MRO was worse then other dot sights for theyre astigmatism

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
    I looked through one and seemed as good or better than my Aimpoint PRO (same size dot). This stuff is so personal I don't think generalizations can be made.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by HCrum87hc View Post
    I have mild astigmatism in my right eye. I wear contacts daily with a specially made one in my right eye for the astigmatism. I've never had any issues with red dots when wearing my contacts. I'll have to try it without them one day to see just how bad it is.
    The advantage of contacts over glasses is that with contacts you're always looking through the optical center of the lens (where the optical correction is optimal) regardless of head or eye position, so you really shouldn't see the dot distortion if your prescription is correct and the lenses well made. With glasses there is a compromise unless you have a set made with the optical center located where your eye looks when you're in position behind the gun.

Been dealing with this for the last 37 years, unfortunately.
    Last edited by Don Quijote; 10-25-18 at 09:35.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Don Quijote View Post
    I looked through one and seemed as good or better than my Aimpoint PRO (same size dot). This stuff is so personal I don't think generalizations can be made.
    Yeah thats true

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    The problem with astigmatism and RDS isn't usually in the quality of the eye exam...a competent optometrist/ophthalmologist can create a prescription that accurately corrects astigmatism. The problem is usually with the optical lab that actually grinds that prescription. That does require good (expensive) equipment and a competent optician. Such quality can vary even within an otherwise competent lab depending on the quality of the tech. For shooters, it's always smart to take your RDS (without an attached gun) into the optical shop when you go to pick up the glasses and make sure they ground it correctly.

If a pair of glasses are going to be screwed up, it's almost always in the multi-axis grinding to correct the astigmatism.

Feedback Score
    I have mild astigmatism. It only manifests itself in low light. Outdoors with sunlight, the dot is crisp. Indoors with only ambient light, I see a cluster of grapes.

It's a non issue for me. The cluster of grapes is fine enough indoors at breathing distance. The center of the cluster will still put rounds where you want them. Outdoors in sunlight, it's crisp. During low light, you can't see anything at distance anyway so it doesn't matter.

Feedback Score
    Same here. Very mild halo around the dot indoors, worse as I turn up the brightness. Near perfect dot outdoors.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Mine is really pronounced when looking through the Eotech. Aimpoint isn't too bad.
    "What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    It certainly is a relief to know that I am not the only one to experience this. Is this step one of twelve towards recovery??

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12