Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: Passed Up For Promotion

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by MegademiC View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by NYH1 View Post
    Ask them how successful they'll be when you're gone.

All BSing aside, companies I've worked for did better when they promoted qualified employee's from within. People seem to work better when they know there's room for advancement.

NYH1.
    While I agree with the concept, its not always a good idea. A great engineer may have zero management skills. A department manager may not have skills needed to be an executive. Everyone peaks somewhere.

Should an enginner with 5 years under his belt and no management skills be promoted? No. Should he be fairly compensated and get raises for hard work? Yes.

The idea that people deserve promotions from time put in is narrow-sighted.
    Right, that's why I said "qualified employee's from within".

NYH1.

ROLLTIDE!
    NYSRPA Member.

Feedback Score
    62 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by tgizzard View Post
    Back story, I have been working at the same Engineering firm for the past 10 years, with the exception of a seven month hiatus back in 2014. I have received outstanding yearly reviews every year that I have been with the company and I have been singled out for praise by more than one of our clients on numerous occasions.

With that said, I found out today that I was skipped over for a promotion to Project Scientist and that the spot was filled by a co-worker who has worked at our company for a shorter time and has a lot less experience then I do.
    This is typically the time to start looking for another job.

Either that, or buy a pair of kneepads.
    a former meatpuppet.

http://sixty-six.org

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Go to YouTube and look up “Jocko Good”

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    1. The best and brightest are not always the ones who get promoted.

2. Nobody survives a career with their professional virginity intact.

Regardless of profession, we will all get screwed. The power of the triangle matters more than merit.

Definitely make your decision in a calculating, logical manner. Attend the advanced training in Feb that you referenced. Seek new employment at a time that benefits you. The writing is on the wall. Don't spend another decade there
    Last edited by signal4l; 10-28-18 at 17:11.

Feedback Score
    All good points brought up by others. I too have left jobs for better ones and have never regretted it. Sometimes getting passed over is the push you need to look elsewhere. There’s one thing I’ve learned though. Nice guys finish last. When it comes to management type positions it’s not always about knowledge and experience. It’s about manipulating. How well can you manipulate (aka spin the bullshit) to get people to work or win them over.

I was reminded of this myself recently when I was passed for promotion and they selected someone with literally half the knowledge and experience. What he was however, was twice the politician and salesman that I am. He played salesman and they overlooked his lack of experience etc. I was pissed, bummed, etc. Kept my head up and ended up getting promoted about six months later when another position came open.

So, should you stay or go? If you think there are other opportunities that may present themselves then maybe stay. If it’s stagnant then it’s time to hit the pavement. Like others have said. Go the head hunter route. Much less stressful.

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Handful of posts on here derserve a thumbs up if that existed on here
    ETC (SW/AW), USN (1998-2008)
    CVN-65, USS Enterprise

Feedback Score
    22 (100%)
    These are things I've noted over the years. Some of it overlaps with Doc's thread and may not apply to your OP.

1)
    Even if you do get recognized for working hard or you work at that rare company that recognizes it, the benefits rarely outweigh the rewards. Spend the extra time you save by training on their dime if possible and learning the things below.

2)
    Most of the time an employer is only worried about what makes them money or costs them money, not who works hardest. Work smarter not harder.

3)
    No one is your friend. Especially not your boss. Assume anyone could talk behind your back at any time and imagine what they could say. Backstabbers try hardest to befriend you as soon and often as possible. That's not an excuse not to network. Make sure a lot of people know who you are.
    See #7.

4)
    Assume your employer isn't completely honest. Good performance reviews don't always mean you're doing an awesome job. Sometimes they're just in place to keep employee morale up and satisfy you just enough to become complacent and not to seek other employment.

5)
    Don't take slights or other's gains over you personally. You'll resent the person and the company which will make you miserable.
    See #2 and #6.

6)
    If you're ready to jump ship, have a solid backup plan and have a meeting with your manager. If they aren't receptive to your other offer, put in your two weeks and respectfully tell them you feel the other company and position are a better fit.*If you do get a better offer to stay and if you decide to stay, assume you're on borrowed time in the event they find a suitable replacement for less pay.

7)
    Learn how to play the game. Politics suck, especially in the workplace, but it's a necessity today. Plan accordingly.
    Last edited by Waylander; 10-29-18 at 00:02.
    Do you even get down innagrass, bro?

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345