Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: What makes a Colt a Colt?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Feedback Score

What makes a Colt a Colt?

What makes a Colt LE6920 better than most other AR’s? I’m sure some will argue and don’t have the expertise to disagree but I’ve heard that was the one to get!

Still I ask for a specific reason and not here to debate that. So here is my question. Is it the components inside the Colt that make it a Colt, or the entire thing as a completed puzzle?

I have a PSA AR 15 pistol stock. I have a Colt LE6920 with $1,000 in upgrades. Things like a Geissele 2 stage trigger, Gunfighter ambidextrous handle, blah blah. List goes on.

At age 57 I never realized how empty my world was until I was in introduced to a SBR! It’s everything I never knew I wanted in an AR 15..

But I don’t have the inclination to do a tax stamp and all the other crap I have to go through to be able to take the 6920 lower and attach it to the PSA upper as that is my dream weapon I can already tell!!!

Yes I have the play stock for the pistol, which gets me close enough to know an SBR is what I desire! I have no clue why ANY moron could tell me why that gun would be illegal, but again, not here for that and there’s enough articles cussing the government on that subject already!!! I still had to vent about it..

But point is, the pistol is now going to be my everything gun, my carry gun, my truck gun, my nightstand gun, my...

So if I strip the PSA lower, and fill it with ALL of my 6920 components, will I have a lower that the experts here would all agree is now EXACTLY the same, or 95% there as a colt 6920 lower?

Or is part of it being a “Colt” lower receiver the empty stripped “frame” itself as well?

Thanks!!!

Feedback Score
    18 (100%)
    IF the PSA lower is in proper spec, and you put Colt parts in it, it should be fine functionally.

Colt gets recommended because they have been building, developing and refining the AR for almost 60 years. It's their knowledge, their OEM supplier product selection, their QC and their legacy supplying the mil/gov. So I would say its both the components and the sum of the parts when they build a rifle. My $.02.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by nightchief View Post
    IF the PSA lower is in proper spec, and you put Colt parts in it, it should be fine functionally.

Colt gets recommended because they have been building, developing and refining the AR for almost 60 years. It's their knowledge, their OEM supplier product selection, their QC and their legacy supplying the mil/gov. So I would say its both the components and the sum of the parts when they build a rifle. My $.02.
    Thanks for the fast reply!!! But maybe I didn’t get my point across as articulately as I wanted I know it will be fine functionally because all the parts are interchangeable. I guess my bottom line question is, would it be considered a “Colt lower” as that’s what I’m trying to achieve? I don’t wanna pay for a tax stamp to actually use it so by interchanging the parts would you say its now actually as close to a Colt as you could get, or does it not really work like that and the housing is part of it all as well!
    Last edited by Plumber10101212; 10-25-18 at 20:31.

Feedback Score
    18 (100%)
    It won't be a Colt lower unless it's made in Hartford and has the pony roll mark.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Plumber10101212 View Post
    Thanks for the fast reply!!! But maybe I didn’t get my point across as articulately as I wanted I know it will be fine functionally because all the parts are interchangeable. I guess my bottom line question is, would it be considered a “Colt lower” as that’s what I’m trying to achieve? I don’t wanna pay for a tax stamp to actually use it so by interchanging the parts would you say its now actually as close to a Colt as you could get, or does it not really work like that and the housing is part of it all as well!

First, please tell me you're trolling us!
    Secondly, no it wouldn't be considered a Colt. It would be a frankengun. If Kia were to start putting Mercedes engines and transmissions in their cars would you consider them to then be Mercedes?
    Last edited by TexHill; 10-25-18 at 20:42.
    A person who is not inwardly prepared for the use of violence against him is always weaker than the person committing the violence. - Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn, The Gulag Archipelago

Feedback Score
    Geez... for some reason I think everyone is misinterpreting what I’m trying to say here. Let’s try another way. If I keep my stock PSA lower or I take all of the parts from my Colt lower and transfer it all to the PSA lower, are the lowers equal or is the PSA with Colt parts way superior?

For some reason some people are interpreting this question as I want to actually turn it into a Colt “legally” LOL. No it’s not going to actually be one, my point is if a PSA lower has all of the Colt parts from its lower, are they now equal to an actual Colt lower?

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Plumber10101212 View Post
    Geez... for some reason I think everyone is misinterpreting what I’m trying to say here. Let’s try another way. If I keep my stock PSA lower or I take all of the parts from my Colt lower and transfer it all to the PSA lower, are the lowers equal or is the PSA with Colt parts way superior?

For some reason some people are interpreting this question as I want to actually turn it into a Colt “legally” LOL. No it’s not going to actually be one, my point is if a PSA lower has all of the Colt parts from its lower, are they now equal to an actual Colt lower?
    In a single word, no. PSA has had a history of not always being in spec with the dimensions on their lowers.
    A person who is not inwardly prepared for the use of violence against him is always weaker than the person committing the violence. - Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn, The Gulag Archipelago

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Maybe I don't fully comprehend the question yet after all.

If you completely stripped a fully in-spec PSA lower down and re-built it with Colt or BCM parts (presuming you've got the knowledge/skill to do it damn well), it should be "functionally" the equal of a Colt or BCM lower assembly, but it's still a home-built lower assembly.

You only have a half dozen ARs? That's not nearly enough.
    Last edited by grizzman; 10-25-18 at 21:07.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

What makes a Colt a Colt?

Yep, if ya put good parts into your PSA lower and attach it to a Colt upper, it magically becomes a Colt (the magic just doesn't go far enough to change the roll mark).

..........warning, this post may contain sarcasm.........

If you want a Colt lower, then buy a Colt lower. They're quite inexpensive, and have gotten down to ridiculously inexpensive on a regular basis.
    Last edited by grizzman; 10-25-18 at 20:38.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by grizzman View Post
    Yep, if ya put good parts into your PSA lower and attach it to a Colt upper, it magically becomes a Colt (the magic just doesn't go far enough to change the roll mark).

..........warning, this post may contain sarcasm.........

If you want a Colt lower, then buy a Colt lower. They're quite inexpensive, and have gotten down to ridiculously inexpensive on a regular basis.
    That’s what I wanted to know thank you. I don’t want to buy one because I already own a half dozen AR’s and enough is enough. And I already have one here thats been upgraded, so why not just transfer the parts out and into my PSA? And correction, I’m not adding a PSA lower it to a Colt upper, I am adding a colt lower to a PSA pistol upper

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast