Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: Looking for My Next AR ... Suggestions

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by FredL View Post
    Thank you to everyone who has contributed to this thread. I deeply appreciate it! You have given me a lot to think about and consider.

QUESTION to/for 26 Inf. I've always been intrigued by LaRue and their product lines and your comment on this thread has me really interested in pursuing this. Here are some dumb questions, but ... thanks for indulging.

If I go this route is it on me to assemble the lower, or for that matter, anything with the upper? I'd like to have it all pre-assembled for me by LaRue, is that an option? And I'm going to pursue the questions raised about accuracy testing, seems like a bit of conflicting information here. But this really has piqued my interest.
    You can order the Ultimate upper fully assembled. There is an array of options in the menus. You will have to supply your own lower receiver and build it.

https://www.larue.com/products/larue...-15-upper-kit/
    "A Bad Day At The Range Is Better Than A Great Day Working"

USMC Force Recon 1978-1984
    US Air Force Res. 1995-2004 (Air Transportation)
    M16/AR15 shooter since 1978, gun collector and AR builder since 2004

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Thank you to everyone who has contributed to this thread. I deeply appreciate it! You have given me a lot to think about and consider.

QUESTION to/for 26 Inf. I've always been intrigued by LaRue and their product lines and your comment on this thread has me really interested in pursuing this. Here are some dumb questions, but ... thanks for indulging.

If I go this route is it on me to assemble the lower, or for that matter, anything with the upper? I'd like to have it all pre-assembled for me by LaRue, is that an option? And I'm going to pursue the questions raised about accuracy testing, seems like a bit of conflicting information here. But this really has piqued my interest.
    If you purchase the Ultimate Upper from Larue, you can pay them to pre-assemble it but they are not going to send you a test target showing sub moa group AFAIK.
    All you have to do is pin it to your lower and install any sights.
    You can purchase a stripped lower from them ONLY if/when you order an Ultimate upper. It's pretty easy to assemble a lower. If you change your own oil and have rotated your own tires, you can assemble a lower. No really special tools required other than a $20 AR tool which you should get anyway and perhaps a set of long allens. Lots of videos for DIY.

Feedback Score
    I would start by buying a milspec lower from any reputable manufacturer. Colt, BCM etc. $250-$400

Then choose an upper that appeals to you and you'll find a lot of combos that fall under $1500.

Geissele URGI - Around $1200, maybe less with promo codes
    BCM Midlength MCMR - Around $800 with BCG
    DDM4 Upper - About a grand depending on model

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

Sorry, I just saw this.

As others have said you can have LaRue assemble the upper, it adds a cost of 199.00 to the price of the upper.

I was unaware that they didn't accuracy test the uppers as part of the assembly process, their drop down says 'assembled - test fired + 199.00.' I could not find in the FAQ's where they make the statement that testing on the assembled ultimate uppers does not include a test target - not saying that isn't true, just saying I couldn't find it - in view of that I would certainly call them.

I assembled my 6.5 Grendel and it was very accurate off the workbench. I don't load 6.5G yet so I'm buying ammo, therefore I don't have hundreds of rounds through it, but it seems to be shooting better all the time. Next time out I'll hang some paper at 100 and measure how it groups, after zeroing it I've pretty much just been enjoying the 'thwack' of hitting metal.

I bought my LaRue lower shortly after I got the upper, they will not sell you a lower unless they have shipped you an upper, or it is bought at the same time.

The Ultimate Upper Kit contains everything you need to make a complete rifle EXCEPT receiver, magazine and sights. So if you are buying a lower receiver from them, you really don't need to buy anything else for a complete rifle.

If you are hesitant to put the lower together yourself, I'm sure a local gun store could do it for you, or steer you to someone who could. Don't pay over $100.00 to have it assembled, it doesn't take an hour.

IMO opinion, this LaRue is the one that would most fit your criteria as long as you are willing to either put the lower receiver together or have someone do it for you.

I know you've received a lot of the proforma 'buy a BCM' 'buy a Sionics' or 'buy a Colt' advice.

I have used a lot of BCM components on stuff I've built, the BCM upper I purchased for my son takes deer's every year, so I'm not saying anything negative about them. Likewise, I have used Sionics barrels in builds and they are good shooters, so I'm not trashing them.

But....even if the LaRue assembly and test fire doesn't include a group target, I don't believe any of the others I mentioned guarantee 1 moa from their rifles, nor do they ship targets with them. I don't see any reason to believe that the LaRue Upper wouldn't meet the 1 moa guarantee, if assembled correctly.

If I had 1500.00 I know what I'd buy.

BTW; I'm starting the process for this next month - https://www.larue.com/products/larue...ate-suurg-kit/
    Patriotism means to stand by the country. It does not mean to stand by the President... - Theodore Roosevelt, Lincoln and Free Speech, Metropolitan Magazine, Volume 47, Number 6, May 1918.

Every Communist must grasp the truth. Political power grows out of the barrel of a gun. Our principle is that the Party commands the gun, and the gun must never be allowed to command the Party Mao Zedong, 6 November, 1938 - speech to the Communist Patry of China's sixth Central Committee

Feedback Score
    UPDATE

I spent a lot of time yesterday researching and studying and opted to purchase a COLT AR-15 A4. I got it for $915, shipped and am not considering replacing the A2 style handguard with a quad rail. I finally realized, hey, if COLT has been good enough for me for five years and since it was on a COLT that I was originally trained...why complicate life...stick with what I know. I love the rifle length gas system on it and the "old school" look and feel of it, it has a 20" barrel. I'm contemplating using a variable power optic on it for fun and utility.

Thanks for all the advice.

Feedback Score
    UPDATE

I spent a lot of time yesterday researching and studying and opted to purchase a COLT AR-15 A4. I got it for $915, shipped and am not considering replacing the A2 style handguard with a quad rail. I finally realized, hey, if COLT has been good enough for me for five years and since it was on a COLT that I was originally trained...why complicate life...stick with what I know. I love the rifle length gas system on it and the "old school" look and feel of it, it has a 20" barrel. I'm contemplating using a variable power optic on it for fun and utility.

I’d go ahead a put a 4x ACOG on there and a BFG sling and you’ll have yourself an A4 clone of sorts. I have both the FN & Colt A4 & really enjoy shooting them both.

Feedback Score

Personally, I’ll always like A2 and A4 variants. You picked a good one, too. You’re making me want to buy one!

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by magister View Post
    Personally, I’ll always like A2 and A4 variants. You picked a good one, too. You’re making me want to buy one!
    My eyes aren't what they used to be and the smallish reticle on the ACOG doesn't work too well for me anymore. I think I am going to use a variable power with a FFP reticle, sound good?

Feedback Score
    41 (100%)
    My eyes aren't what they used to be and the smallish reticle on the ACOG doesn't work too well for me anymore. I think I am going to use a variable power with a FFP reticle, sound good?
    Seems like you made a solid choice. Make sure you post a pic or two!

Feedback Score
    22 (100%)
    I would NOT suggest a Larue rifle based on your needs. Larues are more SPR type rifles than anything and 400 yards isnt exactly far, larues are accurate but they are pigs(inb4 Mark Larue calls me a pussy and tells me to go to the gym). I think you chose well getting a mil-spec type chrome-lined barreled upper, Colt barrels are stupidly accurate for being chrome-lined.

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast