Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Was this a Field modification or what?

Feedback Score

Was this a Field modification or what?

5A575E87-746D-47AD-A3CF-25C35FB6D2F3.jpg Found this while look at The Rhodesian Bush War pictures and found this. doubt it from the Bush War but a moderator on a Colt 605 it looks like. What’s the possibility of this being a factory prototype to improve the guns reliability? I doubt it but still cool to find something like this
    Attached Images Attached Images
    "Guns are tools; people are the real weapons!"
    - Anonymous
    "The world is a dangerous place to live; not because of the people who are evil, but because of the people who don't do anything about it."
    - Albert Einstein
    “An armed society is a polite society.”
    - Robert Heinlein

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    I found this info regarding the picture.

The people in the picture are not Rhodesian soldiers. They are international mercenaries. The man in front is David McGrady, an American, and the rifle is a modified civilian AR-15. The man in the middle is referred to as "The Greek" in the few articles about McGrady, he carried an M1 Garand into the field. The man in the background is "The German", he was afraid of black magic and vodoo and had holy water in the canteens strapped to his shoulders. His weapon of choice was a FAL.

The modification appears to be a Colt SP1 in which the barrel has been cut down to around 15"-16", re-threaded and a XM177 type moderator or FH attached. It does have the grenade ring with it.

"A Bad Day At The Range Is Better Than A Great Day Working"

USMC Force Recon 1978-1984
    US Air Force Res. 1995-2004 (Air Transportation)
    M16/AR15 shooter since 1978, gun collector and AR builder since 2004

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Renegade04 View Post
    I found this info regarding the picture.

The people in the picture are not Rhodesian soldiers. They are international mercenaries. The man in front is David McGrady, an American, and the rifle is a modified civilian AR-15. The man in the middle is referred to as "The Greek" in the few articles about McGrady, he carried an M1 Garand into the field. The man in the background is "The German", he was afraid of black magic and vodoo and had holy water in the canteens strapped to his shoulders. His weapon of choice was a FAL.

The modification appears to be a Colt SP1 in which the barrel has been cut down to around 15"-16", re-threaded and a XM177 type moderator or FH attached. It does have the grenade ring with it.

thanks for the enlightenment.
    "Guns are tools; people are the real weapons!"
    - Anonymous
    "The world is a dangerous place to live; not because of the people who are evil, but because of the people who don't do anything about it."
    - Albert Einstein
    “An armed society is a polite society.”
    - Robert Heinlein

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    Holy crap Renegade how did you remember all that, I remember the pic from an early SOF magazine article and knew they were mercs and that the second guy carried a Garand but that was about it.
    “The Trump Doctrine is ‘We’re America, Bitch.’ That’s the Trump Doctrine.”

"He is free to evade reality, he is free to unfocus his mind and stumble blindly down any road he pleases, but not free to avoid the abyss he refuses to see."

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by mack7.62 View Post
    Holy crap Renegade how did you remember all that, I remember the pic from an early SOF magazine article and knew they were mercs and that the second guy carried a Garand but that was about it.
    I did not remember. My internet foo is up to par. You just have to know where and how to look for certain stuff.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    After Googling his name + Rhodesia, I almost wonder if that isn't one of the reverse XM177 fake suppressors that sleeves over the barrel. Guesstimating that on the assumption the carbine pic is a 16" barrel.

https://66.media.tumblr.com/295129f5...9whto3_540.jpg

https://66.media.tumblr.com/84052e90...9whto1_640.jpg

Wouldn't let me embed the pics so click and look.
    Last edited by jsbhike; 10-27-18 at 08:13.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by jsbhike View Post
    After Googling his name + Rhodesia, I almost wonder if that isn't one of the reverse XM177 fake suppressors that sleeves over the barrel. Guesstimating that on the assumption the carbine pic is a 16" barrel.

https://66.media.tumblr.com/295129f5...9whto3_540.jpg

https://66.media.tumblr.com/84052e90...9whto1_640.jpg

Wouldn't let me embed the pics so click and look.
    The fact that it has the grenade ring with it is an indicator that it is not a sleeve. The sleeve type XM177 FH are the same profile all the way down. They do not have the grenade ring on them. Also, they were made mostly for the A2 profile barrels (.750"), not pencil barrels (.625"). When that picture was taken, it is highly possible that it was an actual XM177 moderator.
    Last edited by Renegade04; 10-27-18 at 14:50.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Sherluk markets one with grenade ring for skinny barrels now:

http://www.sherluk.com/m16d.php

Now wondering if the carbine was a 16" SP1 or a 14.5? The moderators get me on proportions.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by jsbhike View Post
    Sherluk markets one with grenade ring for skinny barrels now:

http://www.sherluk.com/m16d.php

Now wondering if the carbine was a 16" SP1 or a 14.5? The moderators get me on proportions.
    The AR in question is not a carbine. It is a modified SP1 Sporter with the barrel cut down to about 16" or so. FYI, SP1 Carbines have 16" barrels.

The Sherluk XM177 FH is patterned somewhat like it has a grenade ring, but the design is not like what the real setup would look like, nor what is in the picture on the SP1 Sporter.

What is on the SP1 Sporter looks like this.

Last edited by Renegade04; 10-27-18 at 16:16.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    The other long gun with moderator that comes up in McGrady pictures is a carbine.

The proportions of everything on it look kinda funky to me (grainy pic on cell screen) and was what made me think slip over.

Another of the rifle gas now that I figured out how to get those to post.

Last edited by jsbhike; 10-27-18 at 16:58.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast