Thread: Vacuum sealer and dehydrator

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Feedback Score
    10 (100%)

Vacuum sealer and dehydrator

So any thoughts on current sealers? I see COSTCO has a FoodSaver on sale for $40 off to make it $99. It's just called a 2 in 1 Vacuum sealing system.

Also looking at a dehydrator... and I've lost the names. One I think had the word Harvest in the name. The other one I know used square trays and they claimed it was better for that. More space per shelf.

It seems like these things don't seem to evolve much. Or at least I never never hear about them. I just want a basic functional system.

The Vacuum system confused me in the past trying to figure if it could do Mylar bags, what type refills you need, etc.

I think I'll go with the sealer first. I pretty much cook for one but buy large packs. So I will often make a giant pot of food and then eat it for a week. That gets old fast in more ways than one. plus I tend to over eat. So I think I will try a sealer.

I was wondering what would seal raw food, cooked food, and can I put mixed raw food in a bag to later become a "boiling bag" setup. Can the sealers do the boiling bag thing, or is that a special setup?

I would also like like to seal snacks, and back to the boiling bag, something that could be boiled on a little backpack stove setup. IOW, instead of pouring hot water into a MountainHouse.. .I would just boil a bag of my configured meals .... I would not need these to last ages like MH, but freezer safe for say a month or so prior to use.

Any ideas what is good to look at for a basic but functional setup?
    Last edited by tb-av; 10-26-18 at 13:43.