Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Vacuum sealer and dehydrator

Feedback Score
    10 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by ndmiller View Post
    would go well with my instant pressure cooker I'm now addicted to.
    I've been eyeing one of those as well. Did you get the Instant Pot brand?

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Ziploc uses a special bag.

I don't think they would be best for high volume and are quart/gallon only.

https://ziplocvacuumsealer.com/searc...product&q=Hand

Small volume or items that need to be portioned out/opened and resealed they work very well.

My mid 90's vacuum packer came with a roll of smooth bag material. Nearly impossible to not leave an air pocket and then on top of that the holding the lid down long enough for the heating wire/cutter then lifting and removing just right was more about random luck than repeatable technique. Then I bought another that came with the channeled bags and a decent seal and cut apparatus.
    Last edited by jsbhike; 10-27-18 at 17:06.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    I’ve had a basic FoodSaver for a few years. I bought it because CostCo meat is good quality but comes in quantities that I can’t use all at once. I use it mostly for sous vide cooking, so bag and seal the meats that I buy in quantities that I can cook two at a time. My wife is opposed to cluttered counters, so it needed to be a machine that was small enough to be easily stored. The one that Costco has on sale is nice, but wouldn’t fly around here....too big. I think vacuum sealers are one of the most useful applicances in the kitchen. It certainly gets used a lot more than the food processor or the bread maker.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by tb-av View Post
    I've been eyeing one of those as well. Did you get the Instant Pot brand?
    Yes, although just get a quality one, definitely on sale (surlatab/williamssonoma/etc) as they are all just pressure cookers with interior pans. 20 minute chicken legs & thighs are a weekly staple meal, although the first time I was sure we all were going to the hospital (20 min???). Done ribs, pulled pork, beef stew, braised anything, whole chicken, whatever google the recipes and you're good to go. Inner pots are stainless, so wipe down and dishwasher safe. Pressure cook a cup of vinegar for 20 minutes to clean as well.

Feedback Score
    40 (100%)
    I’ve had a vacuum seal er for about 15 years. Used it to package wild game, fish and all kinds of other stuff.
    Wephen we were moving, I had to place my gunsafe in storage. The higher quality 1911s were sealed after being wrapped in silicone inmpregnated cloths. The piece of mind that vacuum sealer gave me was worth the cost of that alone.
    Proper Planing Prevents Piss Poor Performance.......

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by tb-av View Post
    thanks all.... I'm researching all your points. @rexter314 can you give me a brand name or model number of one of the ones you speak of.

I tend to try to 'buy once - cry once' but there are so many different things about these sealers I don't understand. I thought I would go cheap adn learn. But if all I learn is that I can't do what I want or I break it it's kind of a waste of money.

I know the dehydrators I was looking at, which I have now lost the links, they were on up there.. several hundred dollars.

I've also seen some sealers that look like big hand clamps. Not sure where they fit in.

I assume teh zip lock stuf has some sort of special type bag. I can't understand how you could vacuum a zip lock but I guess it's possible.
    I have a Vacmaster 320 chamber sealer. It has a chamber large enough to hold 16x20 bags. I pulled out a brisket I did last summer couple of weeks ago and after thawing, it was like it just came off the smoker. I do over 150 pounds of cured, smoked bacon every month. It would take me 3 times longer if I was using a Foodsaver type putting it up. The zip locks come on the bags but are sealed above the zipper. Foodsaver does make bags that take an attachment that fits on a one way valve built into the bag.
    Go to www.webstaurant.com, look for Vacmaster 320 and you'll get info on the sealer and assortment of bags you can use on it. When I do briskets, I do at least 3 of them on my pipe smoker. I save the drippings and put them in a 1/2 gallon vac bag then seal the bag and freeze it. You can't do that with an external bag sealer. My sealer is pricey, I got it on sale March of 17 for 300$ off however.

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    We have one of these:
    https://www.oliso.com/vacuumsealer/

that I really like - handles liquids too so it's hard to damage. Also has a 12v plug so you can take it hunting - Oliso makes some 2 gal bags that can fit a lot of meat.

Al

Feedback Score
    Don't know if they still do it, but I bought my Foodsaver right from their website during a 50% off sale towards the end of the year. The next year they did it again and my mom and sister both got one. I think they clear out inventory to make room for new models but my model was made for at least two more years that I know of. Might be something to look at as the timing is getting about right.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by rexster314 View Post
    I have a Vacmaster 320 chamber sealer. It has a chamber large enough to hold 16x20 bags. I pulled out a brisket I did last summer couple of weeks ago and after thawing, it was like it just came off the smoker. I do over 150 pounds of cured, smoked bacon every month. It would take me 3 times longer if I was using a Foodsaver type putting it up. The zip locks come on the bags but are sealed above the zipper. Foodsaver does make bags that take an attachment that fits on a one way valve built into the bag.
    Go to www.webstaurant.com, look for Vacmaster 320 and you'll get info on the sealer and assortment of bags you can use on it. When I do briskets, I do at least 3 of them on my pipe smoker. I save the drippings and put them in a 1/2 gallon vac bag then seal the bag and freeze it. You can't do that with an external bag sealer. My sealer is pricey, I got it on sale March of 17 for 300$ off however.
    I didn't spring for the 320, but I have a 210. Worth every penny and once you use one you'll consider a Foodsaver a toy. However, it's pretty big for moving around and requires a cart to store and move it on. I do up about a 600 pounds of wild game and fish a year, so it's totally worth it for my family.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by AKDoug View Post
    I didn't spring for the 320, but I have a 210. Worth every penny and once you use one you'll consider a Foodsaver a toy. However, it's pretty big for moving around and requires a cart to store and move it on. I do up about a 600 pounds of wild game and fish a year, so it's totally worth it for my family.
    Vacmasters are beasts. Last spring mine turned itself on, with the lid up. Called CS and the guy knew exactly what was wrong; a proximity sensor for the lid had just gone bad. It was out of the 1 year warranty, but he sent out a new switch free, and all I had to do was cut and splice 2 wires which put me back in business. I keep ours on a rolling cart in a separate room from the kitchen, but close enough in just a few steps.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast