Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Scar 17 Reliability

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)

Scar 17 Reliability

A review of the 17 from a few BTDT types, mostly negative. Some of it is more personal preference, but what caught my attention was the claim the teams found it very unreliable. Heard pro/cons of the 17, but always heard it was very reliable.

- Will

General Performance/Fitness Advice for all

www.BrinkZone.com

LE/Mil specific info:

https://brinkzone.com/category/swatleomilitary/

“Those who do not view armed self defense as a basic human right, ignore the mass graves of those who died on their knees at the hands of tyrants.”

Feedback Score
    deleted
    Last edited by RetroRevolver77; 12-18-18 at 17:23.

Feedback Score
    Yeah I cant argue with their experience down range, all I know is my 17S has not had an issue yet. Most of the time I run it with an AAC 762 can. It is a tad over gassed, but that can be fixed by changing gas jets which I've yet to do. I dont see what the issue is with the charging handle. AK's, M14's, the ol FNC all had charging handles that reciprocated ...... I typically run Winchester 150 grn ball and 1980's South African ball through mine, no issue.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Illuminating. First time that I had heard about all those issues. Just saved me a bunch of money as I was looking at getting one.

Feedback Score
    deleted
    Last edited by RetroRevolver77; 12-18-18 at 17:23.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    I recently came across that video. While I can"t argue with their personal experience, I do know that the SF team we were co-located with in 2011-12 had a couple guys running them. I inquired as to their thoughts and they liked them. No idea as to how hard they were being run, but have to wonder if there were issues from the get go, or if something long term related.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by soulezoo View Post
    Illuminating. First time that I had heard about all those issues. Just saved me a bunch of money as I was looking at getting one.
    I'm no expert here, but I'd probably spend the extra $ and get a KAC SR25, which seems to be loved by all.
    - Will

General Performance/Fitness Advice for all

www.BrinkZone.com

LE/Mil specific info:

https://brinkzone.com/category/swatleomilitary/

“Those who do not view armed self defense as a basic human right, ignore the mass graves of those who died on their knees at the hands of tyrants.”

Feedback Score
    82 (100%)
    I hate to say it, but...some of the "negatives" they pointed out are kinda, well... sort of "duh" to any .308 battle rifle...
    There also seems to be a lot of conflicting opinions in there as well.

TBF, the only critique that I found interesting was the unreliability claim. The range ammo looked like steel, so I'm not surprised there. But given the real-world experience was likely with the usual M80, I wish I could see the whole story on that. I wonder how much was due to combat conditions/moon dust and how much was guys running it accidentally in "suppressed" mode...

Everything else sounds pretty much like the price you pay for a heavier gun set up for intermediate ranges...I'm surprised they didn't mention the stock, which I seem to hear more complaints about with this gun...
    "Once we get some iron in our souls, we'll get some iron in our hands..."

"...A rapid, aggressive response will let you get away with some pretty audacious things if you are willing to be mean, fast, and naked."-Failure2Stop

"The Right can meme; the Left can organize. I guess now we know which one is important." - Random internet comment

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Mine runs 100%, and is my favorite 7.62 rifle.

If you get 3 malfunctions in first 30 rounds with *ANY* firearm, then that specific rifle has issues and should be returned, not used for further evaluation.

Feedback Score
    40 (100%)
    I have talked to more than a few guys that have run them and they had a bunch of complaints, none of them were about reliability.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast