Thread: 11.5” Barrel Profile.

Feedback Score

11.5” Barrel Profile.

Could anyone tell me the pros and cons of different barrel profiles for an 11.5” build?

Gun will probably be suppressed. Not sure if that makes a difference with that short of a barrel.

Feedback Score
    22 (100%)
    A light weight profile is generally not preferred, as it will have more deflection and worse balance with a 12-16 oz suppressor attached.

All things being equal, a heavier barrel profile will shoot more accurately.

An 11.5 is relatively stiff compared to a 16", so there's no real need to go overboard.

A nice medium profile well be pretty stiff and comes in around 23 oz.

Medium profiles also allow for larger 5/8-24 threads, which can be a benefit to accuracy and strength when suppressors are involved.
    Last edited by Clint; 10-27-18 at 10:58.
    Black River Tactical
    BRT OPTIMUM Hammer Forged Chrome Lined Barrels - 11.5", 12.5", 14.5", 16"
    BRT EZTUNE Preset Gas Tubes - PISTOL, CAR, MID, RIFLE
    BRT Bolt Carrier Groups M4A1, M16 CHROME
    BRT Covert Comps 5.56, 6X, 7.62

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Clint View Post
    A light weight profile is generally not preferred, as it will have more deflection and worse balance with a 12-16 oz suppressor attached.

An 11.5 is relatively stiff compared to a 16", so there's no real need to go overboard.

Medium profiles also allow for larger 5/8-24 threads, which can be a benefit to accuracy and strength when suppressors are involved.
    That’s kinda what I was thinking with the barrel. Not full pencil barrel or Heavy barrel. Somewhere in between. I didn’t know if the suppressor at the end would cause any flex with a pencil barrel.

What would your thoughts be on gas blowback on 11.5” From what I read KAC would be the way to go as this set up offers less gas to the face.

I was looking at a stock BCM as I have read people having no issue shooting suppressed or unseppresed with one of their rifles.

I didn’t want to have to screw around with buffer springs and different carriers to get it running right.

My other question is gas port size. Is there a gold standard for size. I know DD has a tendency to be overgassed.

Feedback Score
    36 (100%)
    If your looking for a properly gassed 11.5 then I recommend you take a hard look at the Sionics reduced gas port barrel or the Black River Tactical optimum 11.5. Both are solid choices in the 11.5 arena. I believe both are marketed as medium weight profile, which in my unprofessional opinion is perfect for the 11.5. There are an over abundance of threads covering the Sionics RGP and I’m sure the BRT optimum will have the same luck.
    Last edited by Lawnchair 04; 10-27-18 at 13:44.
    "But if they want to play out a Rage Against the Machine album then...I have no problem blacking out my face, putting on Tiger Stripes, and working on my ear necklace."-FireFly

Feedback Score
    94 (100%)
    I’ve built quite a few AR’s and sold some. The one AR I regret selling more than any other was my 11.5 with a Daniel Defense barrel. Imagine the most reliable thing in the universe. That’s what I would equate my 11.5 to. Reliability and accuracy (in context of application.) go hand in hand in my book and for the application I was perfectly happy. I ran mine suppressed mostly, but even if I’m going to run an AR suppressed, I still want that AR to also run unsuppressed. Some guys buy or build “suppressor only” rifles, and that’s their prerogative, but that doesn’t work for me. The DD is a little gassy, but you can mitigate some of that. It shot every single round I fed it, without a single hiccup.
    If I was going to build another 11.5, I would build another with a DD barrel without hesitation. It’s not going to be the softest shooting AR, but you can also help that out a little as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    "Texas has yet to learn submission to any oppression, come from what source it may."
    ~ Sam Houston

“The liberties of our country, the freedom of our civil constitution, are worth defending against all hazards: And it is our duty to defend them against all attacks.”
    ~ Sam Adams

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    My 11.5" BCM has been great. When you look at the typical options available in 11.5" the difference is minimal and only that small amount of barrel ahead of the gas block. It's such a small area that it doesn't play a difference in POI when compared to standard profile

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    17 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Clint View Post

Agreed. My preference is a med-con ish, continuous taper for anything under 14.5".

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    "That thing looks about as enjoyable as a bowl of exploding dicks." - Magic_Salad0892

"The body cannot go where the mind has not already been."

Feedback Score
    16 (100%)
    I like my BCM Enhance Profile ELW-Flutted 11.5", it lives with a SiCo Saker-K on it all the time but has shown no noticeable POI shift with or without.

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    Whatever profile the 6933 is, I like that one.