Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Drying cases

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

Drying cases

I wash all semi-auto cases in dish soap. I have a big plastic container with a screw lid. In goes the brass, water and a drop of dish soap. Shaken (not stirred) and then dump 'em into a plastic spaghetti colander. Rinse under running water.

So far, so good. But now those cases are wet. What to do?

Forever, I've just put them out in the blazing TX sun. A day under it in the summer will dry out handgun cases. Better go 2 days with 5.56.

But what about the winter? If it's raining? If you don't live where the sun blazes? I've put them on top of the dryer before, and run a couple loads of clothes through it. Works but slowly.

I bought a toaster oven. $24.95, but I discovered checking out that it was on sale for twenty bucks. This one has in addition to the usual timer, an "always on" position. It has a thermostat to set the temperature.

So, I figure I'll put it at no more than 200 degrees (don't want to change the hardness of the case heads) and let her dry 'em out quick.

Anybody else do this? I feel like a moron for taking decades to think of this.

Feedback Score
    18 (100%)
    I occasionally wet tumble dirty brass with stainless media plus a little dish soap and lemi-shine. After separating the cases from the stainless pins I've been giving them a quick alcohol rinse and then putting them in a food dehydrator for 30-45 minutes. Works like a charm.

You could easily skip the alcohol rise and just go straight to the dehydrator. I just do it because I'm a little OCD in that if I'm going to the trouble of wet tumbling I want to be sure the brass comes out of the dryer completely free of water spots.

Feedback Score
    11 (100%)
    I put mine on a sheet pan and put them in the oven on the top rack with the oven set on HOLD, which is about 170. Like that for about 30-40 minutes and they're dry.
    RealeyesRealizeRealLies

BCM 16" RECCE MK2 DkBrz, Custom Mk12 Mod1 built by Monty LeClair, 16" Middy w/ HCS RECCE barrel, A5, Young NM BCG, SSP, Geissele NM rail, Ops Inc., Super CH. 14.5" middy Noveske Afghan X3, 10.3" pistol DD barrell, Benelli M4, Ruger 10/22 w/Victor stock, GLOCK 17 Gen 4, Dan Wesson Valor Duty Coat, Dan Wesson Valor Blue, Dan Wesson Silverback 10mm, S&W 27 4"

B Co 4th502nd Inf Reg. '86-'90. 11b
    B Co 3rd187th InfReg. '90-'94. 11b
    Iron Rakkasans

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    I run my brass in the tumbler to dry. 45 minutes..... Done.
    "What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by BillB View Post
    I put mine on a sheet pan and put them in the oven on the top rack with the oven set on HOLD, which is about 170. Like that for about 30-40 minutes and they're dry.
    Same here, except I use a small toaster oven (perfect for batches of 100 cases) set to 240 - 250 F. I like using a temperature slightly above the boiling point so that I am 100% sure there is no moisture left in there.

I also don't wet tumble with SS pins. I want the outside clean. I don't care about the inside or shining the outside.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by BillB View Post
    I'm a bit leery of this. Cases, even after washing, could contain heavy metals (lead, antimony, etc) and using a food oven for such an industrial process could, over time, cause ingestion of same with serious consequences for human health.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Uni-Vibe View Post
    I'm a bit leery of this. Cases, even after washing, could contain heavy metals (lead, antimony, etc) and using a food oven for such an industrial process could, over time, cause ingestion of same with serious consequences for human health.
    Then buy a cheap, countertop toaster oven and use it just for this. You could probably pick one up for less than 30 bucks at Wlmart/Target/Meijer/etc

My answer above is meant to placate a spouse without making her feel dumb about concerns that have no basis in fact.
    Last edited by Don Quijote; 10-28-18 at 21:40.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Uni-Vibe View Post
    Can anyone explain how this would happen, particularly if the temperature is kept below the melting point of brass?
    "When I have your wounded." -- Major Charles L. Kelly, callsign "Dustoff", refusing to acknowledge that an L.Z. was too hot, moments before being killed by a single shot, July 1st, 1964.

Black Lives Matter. All confederate symbols and monuments need to go.
    Proud to live in a sanctuary city.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Jammer Six View Post
    Can anyone explain how this would happen, particularly if the temperature is kept below the melting point of brass?
    That comment is from the same guy who is worried about softening brass if he goes over 200 F. It's baseless speculation not based on any subject matter expertise.

I am an engineer by education and profession, involved in manufacturing for over 25 years. His concerns are nonsense.
    Last edited by Don Quijote; 10-28-18 at 21:42.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)

Drying cases

After wet tumbling I separate the cases from the pins and dump the brass onto an old towel in the garage. Roll it into a “sack” and shake it around to soak up most of the water. Then I let them air dry for a few days. No issues.
    Last edited by czgunner; 10-28-18 at 16:59.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast