Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: First Gas Gun Loads

Feedback Score

First Gas Gun Loads

I've loaded for handguns and a bolt for years-- now I'm about to load for an AR for the first time, and I imagine things are different.
    "When I have your wounded." -- Major Charles L. Kelly, callsign "Dustoff", refusing to acknowledge that an L.Z. was too hot, moments before being killed by a single shot, July 1st, 1964.

Black Lives Matter. All confederate symbols and monuments need to go.
    Proud to live in a sanctuary city.

Feedback Score
    11 (100%)
    I'm guessing there is a question in there somewhere but I can't find it. I can give you basic knowledge because that's about all I know right now, the basics. Have to start somewhere though.
    RealeyesRealizeRealLies

BCM 16" RECCE MK2 DkBrz, Custom Mk12 Mod1 built by Monty LeClair, 16" Middy w/ HCS RECCE barrel, A5, Young NM BCG, SSP, Geissele NM rail, Ops Inc., Super CH. 14.5" middy Noveske Afghan X3, 10.3" pistol DD barrell, Benelli M4, Ruger 10/22 w/Victor stock, GLOCK 17 Gen 4, Dan Wesson Valor Duty Coat, Dan Wesson Valor Blue, Dan Wesson Silverback 10mm, S&W 27 4"

B Co 4th502nd Inf Reg. '86-'90. 11b
    B Co 3rd187th InfReg. '90-'94. 11b
    Iron Rakkasans

Feedback Score
    Yup, I could have said that better, sorry.

What's the main thing you find is different reloading for an AR rather than a bolt gun?
    "When I have your wounded." -- Major Charles L. Kelly, callsign "Dustoff", refusing to acknowledge that an L.Z. was too hot, moments before being killed by a single shot, July 1st, 1964.

Feedback Score
    67 (99%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jammer Six View Post
    Yup, I could have said that better, sorry.

What's the main thing you find is different reloading for an AR rather than a bolt gun?
    IMO, it really comes down to what you’re loading for. Are you loading for repeatable accuracy? Cost savings? Hunting?

You can take the mechanics of reloading to gas guns, but the pressures are different from bolt to gas.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Get a Dillon carbide sizing die if you plan on any kind of volume. That and a case gauge to set the die up. Adjust it so the brass averages in the min/max, and you'll have trouble free chambering.

Dillon case lube is also outstanding for bulk sizing. Beyond that, you have your published data for whatever bullet you like. I like a light factory crimp on my ammo.
    "What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    The big difference, is that you're going to have to do full-length resizing every time. No more fire-forming for the bolt rifle's chamber and then just neck-sizing. This is because the round has to fit in the chamber and can't be "cammed" in by the bolt; it has to fit freely and this requires full-length resizing.

I don't use a carbide die set, just the standard 2 die RCBS set. I use One Shot for lube. Use as directed.

Feedback Score
    Do you guys do any type of crimping for AR loads?

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jammer Six View Post
    Do you guys do any type of crimping for AR loads?
    I have a LEE crimping die for the .223, but I only used it once. A properly dimensioned sizer die / expander ball will provide proper case neck tension to ensure proper semi-auto functioning.

Feedback Score
    On a progressive loader or single stage?

As mentioned get a case gage and use it to set your dies. If you load for bolt guns you already know this but use a neck lube, it's easy to pull the shoulder back out. The Dillon expander button is carbide and has extremely short engagement which is a huge help. If loading a boatail you don't have to expand at all but I like to keep things consistent and if shooting past 300 it probably needs to be done for that reason. The Dillon or home brew lanolin based lube will foul power so process accordingly.

Ball powders meter fantastic in progressive powder measures. As in once set you never have to jack with it. I like AA2230 with 55gr because you can get factory velocities without going over book. BLC2 is another good one. Ramshot TAC works better with the heavier pills accuracy wise IME.

If you are loading much you will want a Dillon Super Swage. The only thing faster is a properly adjusted Dillon 1050!

Feedback Score
    Loading on a Redding T-7. (A turret press.) I only have two presses, The T-7 and a Square Deal B. The Square Deal for pistol, the T-7 for both bolt and ARs. Powder for rifles is handled by a RCBS Chargemaster.

I chose the T-7 because I want to de-cap, then clean rifle brass, and putting brass into a progressive press, running one operation, then taking it out and running another operation, then putting it back into the press defeats the purpose of a progressive press. So I chose a turret press.

I think about a 650 once in a while, but quite frankly after a career in construction the idea of purchasing, unboxing, assembling, studying, troubleshooting and adjusting yet-another-piece-of-finicky-equipment lost all its appeal before the turn of the century. Now it sounds to me like a chore to avoid unless I have no other choice.

I am mildly concerned that the AR is going to want more ammunition than the bolt guns, but we'll see. Maybe I'll just finish up at the range and go to lunch early on AR days.
    Last edited by Jammer Six; 10-29-18 at 01:22.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast