Thread: 1.5 mile run improvement

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)

1.5 mile run improvement

So I'm looking to improve my 1.5 mile run time for a PT test. The fastest I've ever run is about 10:30, however that was back in 2011.

Im considering a high intensity interval approach with a 1:1 rest to work ratio. Like 300m, 200m, and 100m sprints with rest time equaling my 300m run time. Over time increasing the overall distances (increasing the interval amount, not lengths), and decreasing the rest time. I have a few months to work with before testing.

Or should I just be running two miles a day and trying to decrease run time?

First hand advice is welcome.

Feedback Score
    I would recommend a good running watch with heart rate monitor.

If you want to do 1.5 miles in 10:30, that is a 7min/mi pace. Running watches will display your current pace. There is usually a feature of a virtual running partner so you can compare your current pace to a designated pace.

You can run all the sprints you want, but if your sprint pace isn't what you need to reach your goal, it doesn't matter much. Rather than "I am going to run 1.5 miles in 10:30 minutes," look at it as "I have to maintain average pace of 7min/mi for at least 10:30 min."

Heart rate is useful to gauge the state of your body. It is like the tachometer to a speedometer in a car. I ran marathons for six years. There were some days when things are good or bad, and HR showed it. If I had a long run on the weekend, the Tuesday run might feel OK but the HR was up showing that maybe some recovery time was in order. Likewise on a cool, rainy day, you may be right on pace or a little faster, and see that HR is down compared to hot, sunny days.

Also, your 1.5 miles is basically half of a 5k. There are jillions of "better your 5k" training plans around. Get one from a reputable coach/source. It is a lot better than the "I'll go to the track today and see what inspires me" approach. As with marathons, you get a 12 week calendar, and do what is scheduled for each training day. Plan your work, work your plan.

It is not all cardio, especially in the shorter, faster distances. Strong bodies are faster bodies within reason. Leg strength will be helpful.

Finally, especially when starting, go slow. Again, it is not all cardio. All the bones, ligaments, tendons, etc. need some time to acclimate. There is more than one runner sidelined by stress fractures or feet problems because they were focusing more on speed and distance than getting the wheels in shape.

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    I should've stated I run a few miles a week at pace and do sprints on alternating days right now, along with a resistance program (strength, power, hypertrophy).

And my 1.5mile goal is 9 flat.

Thank you for the advice and info.

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    I would run 3 and 5 miles a couple times a week and do the interval training you suggested. Your 7 minute mile goal is easy, the 6 minute mile is more aggressive. I’ve run 10k in 36 at my best, many moons ago. Take a day off once a week and listen to your body. Look for training programs for 5k’s and do those. That will make 1.5 easy peasy.

PB
    "Air Force / Policeman / Fireman / Man of God / Friend of mine / R.I.P. Steve Lamy"