Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Colts Hold Their Value Better than Other Brands?

Feedback Score
    I've got a 6721 that is literally the most accurate AR I've ever fired, but I hate it because it feels so barrel-heavy. I understand this one has been discontinued by Colt or was discontinued some years ago. I'm wondering if it will be more valuable if I wait a few years to sell it, or if I might as well sell it now to pay for another acquisition?

My first instinct is to wait for another panic, but that might be a while.

This is the thing about Colts: if it really is discontinued it might really be worth more than I paid for it in ten years or so; on the other hand if it never was a very popular model...

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Doc Safari View Post
    I've got a 6721 that is literally the most accurate AR I've ever fired, but I hate it because it feels so barrel-heavy. I understand this one has been discontinued by Colt or was discontinued some years ago. I'm wondering if it will be more valuable if I wait a few years to sell it, or if I might as well sell it now to pay for another acquisition?

My first instinct is to wait for another panic, but that might be a while.

This is the thing about Colts: if it really is discontinued it might really be worth more than I paid for it in ten years or so; on the other hand if it never was a very popular model...
    From a value/collector standpoint, there's nothing special about the 6721.

From a functional POV, the HBAR on that gun has a reputation for excellent, quasi-precision accuracy.

If the weight bothers you, sell the barrel and install something to your liking.
    2012 National Zumba Endurance Champion
    الدهون القاع الفتيات لك جعل العالم هزاز جولة الذهاب

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by Doc Safari View Post
    I fear the upcoming crop of children are being so brainwashed against firearms that by the time I'm of retirement age we may be selling our semi-autos at huge profits because all of them will have been added to the NFA registry and new ones will not be available to civilians.

I hope I'm wrong, but does anybody honestly believe the mass shootings will stop? Get worse is more likely.

And sooner or later Congress and the presidency will be in the wrong hands again. By the time I'm getting too old to go to the range much anymore, we may be looking at another outright ban, or registration, or at least no more being manufactured for civilians after a certain date.

That is, assuming the SHTF doesn't happen.

In a nutshell, I guess I'm crawling back into my "prepper stash" mentality: After briefly flirting with not having any safe queens I'm going the opposite way now.
    I share your concerns.

I tend to think making semi-autos into NFA items would prove to be epic overreach and end in failure.

Then again, the left-leaning urban sewers are filled to overflowing with young people who’ve been conditioned to believe the tyranny of the majority is a wonderful thing. So I don’t know.

Maybe the U.S. will break up someday.

Speaking only for myself, if I was elderly and the U.S. made owning what we now do a matter of NFA concern - under penalty of incarceration in a max penitentiary - I’d probably leave the U.S., permanently.
    Last edited by Buncheong; 11-08-18 at 01:27.
    ”New levels of dissimulation being reached for - and gained – in the faux journalism/gov spokesmen/shadowy ‘intelligence’ nexus which blends together the worst elements of controlled medias, puppet governments, & mafia-led ‘security’ forces, as our ‘post-reality’ era jets further and further away from any remotely real ‘events,’ authentic ‘leaders,’ & factual reporting.”

~ Yuno

"The future is bright, mostly because flames are on the horizon."

~ Author unknown

Feedback Score
    33 (100%)
    Colt is the only brand that I know of that can and WILL triple to quadruple in value when panic buying starts. For that reason alone, It is always good to have some sitting in the safe.

C4

Feedback Score
    50 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Buncheong View Post
    Then again, the left-leaning urban sewers are filled to overflowing with young people who’ve been conditioned to believe the tyranny of the majority is a wonderful thing. So I don’t know.

Maybe the U.S. will break up someday.

Speaking only for myself, if I was elderly and the U.S. made owning what we now do a matter of NFA concern - under penalty of incarceration in a max penitentiary - I’d probably leave the U.S., permanently.
    This is nothing against you personally, but I despise this attitude.
    The “urban sewers” are filled with people who had little, saw others with more, and were taught in school that someone else is responsible for their lack of possessions or opportunity. For generations. Whose fault is that?
    Why even talk about the US breaking up? Yeah, I used to think it would happen, but it will only happen if we dont start to help those people some of us seem to think of as turd-blobs floating in a sewer to see that liberty is a benefit for all.
    And I have no idea where those who are too ...undedicated enough to try to reach the next generations (even if they don’t look exactly like us!) would run to if gun rights are a deciding factor. Even if every semi-auto were regulated or registers (which I oppose), we’d still be more free than most of the world; and you probably wouldn’t want to live in places that are “freer.”

If this is the wrong place, I apologize. I’ll delete this if requested.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by C4IGrant View Post
    Colt is the only brand that I know of that can and WILL triple to quadruple in value when panic buying starts. For that reason alone, It is always good to have some sitting in the safe.

C4
    Honestly that has been my experience going back more than 20 years. I recently saw a listing on one of the gun auction sites for a Colt pre-ban style that I used to own, and it actually sold for over $4,000 if I remember correctly.

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Renegade04 View Post
    Personally, I have a large AR collection. Most of them are shooters, but I do have a few older Colts that I do not shoot. Some have been shot once since I bought them and a couple others have never been shot and never will be as long as I own them. I do not buy older Colt ARs for investment purposes. I buy them because I like the older models. Pre-ban Colts will most always have a strong value and some are worth a great deal more than what they did 10 years ago. Newer Colts, in my opinion, do not hold they value any more than other factory ARs from the likes of BCM, DD, LWRC, KAC, and some others. They do not appreciate in value, but they are slow to depreciate in value. I do see plenty of guys buying Colts in hopes of cashing in on them years down the road. They are waiting on something catastrophic to happen to drive the market price up like what happened when there was talk of a ban under Obama. I will add that there are some less expensive brand name ARs that do tend to retain much of their value since they are bargain-priced to begin with and are easily resold a few years down the road for slightly less than they were new.

If a person chooses to buy new Colts because of the brand name, that is on them. If they buy them for banking on a profit later on, they may be disappointed. Pre-ban Colts will always have a place in my collection because they were made when the Colt name really meant something.

Here is my small Colt collection. There are 36 other AR-15s in addition to these.

36 , wow that is a collection and a half. I thought I was ridiculous for double digits, I feel conservative all of a sudden. Thank you Renegade04. Thats a nice Colt line up by the way.
    To the OP, I too feel that Colt holds their value the best because its the most recognized AR in the world. BCM and DD make great rifles and offer much of what Colt doesn't, but Colt is still the Gold Standard to a certain degree.
    "Air Force / Policeman / Fireman / Man of God / Friend of mine / R.I.P. Steve Lamy"

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by C4IGrant View Post

C4

Not true - in my experience brands like HK and Kac command just as much if not more of a profit.

Feedback Score
    33 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Razorblade View Post
    Not true - in my experience brands like HK and Kac command just as much if not more of a profit.
    Depends. Is the item a rare item (HK P7, 416, etc)? Colt is a common AR that sells for well under $1k and can command $3k-$4k (all the while still being produced). So yes, true. ;-)

C4

Feedback Score
    I still have to agree with Grant. I've owned many top tier brands over the years and I've bought, sold and traded a lot in the last 25 years because I keep changing my tastes in my personal collection. I've never seen any brand but Colt even garner much enthusiasm when I was trying to part with it. Maybe ONE time I got rid of a BCM and an LEO really drooled over it but that was the only time.
    Last edited by Doc Safari; 11-09-18 at 11:44.

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast