Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Would you feel under-gunned using Federal 9BPLE?

Feedback Score

Would you feel under-gunned using Federal 9BPLE?

Curious to see the thoughts of you guys. It's an old-school cup-and-core JHP. There have been significant advancements in bullet construction with regard to terminal ballistics in the decades since 9BPLE's introduction, but it still has a following. In other words it's still not a bad choice. Although it is a +P+ round, I've never seen it's velocities chrono'd by someone above the low 1200's; a "true" (if you will) +P+ 9mm 115gr should hit the 1300's. Nonetheless, this round has a pretty good track record.

For the record, my load of choice is the HST 147gr +P. I do, however, have a few new(er) production boxes of 9BPLE on hand.
    11C2P '83-'87
    Airborne Infantry
    F**k China!

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by ABNAK View Post
    Curious to see the thoughts of you guys. It's an old-school cup-and-core JHP. There have been significant advancements in bullet construction with regard to terminal ballistics in the decades since 9BPLE's introduction, but it still has a following. In other words it's still not a bad choice. Although it is a +P+ round, I've never seen it's velocities chrono'd by someone above the low 1200's; a "true" (if you will) +P+ 9mm 115gr should hit the 1300's. Nonetheless, this round has a pretty good track record.

For the record, my load of choice is the HST 147gr +P. I do, however, have a few new(er) production boxes of 9BPLE on hand.
    I would disagree. I think it is a bad choice. It may not have been bad 20 years ago but it is now. If it was that or ball as your only option, then sure I guess. That's probably not the case though.
    AQ planned for years and sent their A team to carry out the attacks, and on Flight 93 they were thwarted by a pick-up team made up of United Frequent Fliers. Many people look at 9/11 and wonder how we can stop an enemy like that. I look at FL93 and wonder, "How can we lose?". -- FromMyColdDeadHand

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by ggammell View Post
    I would disagree. I think it is a bad choice. It may not have been bad 20 years ago but it is now. If it was that or ball as your only option, then sure I guess. That's probably not the case though.

I've always wondered about this. Have thugs gotten that much tougher in 20 years? Maybe natural selection works at hyperspeed on the streets of the Big City.

For the record, I carry Q4318 and don't feel a bit under-gunned.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by ggammell View Post
    It is a 115gr bullet, so "light" for caliber. From literature I've seen it mushrooms pretty well but does shed fragments, so penetration is not what some consider optimal. I would recommend, if using it, a 4" barrel as it does not make the usual 1300+fps of other +P+ 115gr loads (i.e. if carrying this load I would not use a anything less size-wise than a Glock 19 for that reason).
    11C2P '83-'87
    Airborne Infantry
    F**k China!

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    9BPLE is functional, but there are much better options available these days. No reason to deliberately choose it, but there are worse choices.
    2012 National Zumba Endurance Champion
    الدهون القاع الفتيات لك جعل العالم هزاز جولة الذهاب

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by ST911 View Post
    9BPLE is functional, but there are much better options available these days. No reason to deliberately choose it, but there are worse choices.
    Pretty much where I'm at.
    11C2P '83-'87
    Airborne Infantry
    F**k China!

Feedback Score
    Undergunned? No, but its a bad choice. Poor, inconsistent penetration, fragments through autoglass.
    Last edited by MegademiC; 10-29-18 at 18:18.

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by ABNAK View Post
    Pretty much where I'm at.
    This is what my department issued for our subguns years ago and I carried it in my BUG, too. Today I would not feel undergunned with the 9BPLE in my pistol but it wouldn't be my first choice either.
    Philippians 2:10-11

To argue with a person who renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead. ~ Thomas Paine

“The greatest conspiracy theory is the notion that your government cares about you”- unknown.

Feedback Score
    It probably has a higher chance of failing to retain weight or penetrate well but it beats a .22LR or a sharp stick.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    I put together a stash of a few thousand 9mm 115gr +p & +p+ years ago, and I haven't felt compelled to switch. Are there better choices today? Absolutely yes. Do I feel undergunned with my stash? Absolutely not. But I'm not too picky about ammo these days, I think shot placement is far & away the biggest factor regarding "stopping power" (WTF that really means IDK) that I have control over.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast