Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Would you feel under-gunned using Federal 9BPLE?

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by WS6 View Post
    My experience with GSW's is that placement trumps penetration, expansion, or any other matrices of performance, within reason.

My experience with GSWs is that penetration is utterly necessary. Expansion is hit or miss when bullets hit people.

Feedback Score
    11 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Uni-Vibe View Post
    My experience with GSWs is that penetration is utterly necessary. Expansion is hit or miss when bullets hit people.
    "Within reason". Within reason, to me, means it reaches a vital organ. Glaser slug that hits the sternum dead-on? Bad juju. Do I recommend them? No. But I was talking about GSW's, not carry recommendations or what I'd feel comfortable with. I've seen plenty of through-through that was worthless. I think ultimately it must be accepted that pistols don't stop people very rapidly unless they hit the CNS or core a major vessel. This is why I like rifles and shotguns. They actually tear stuff up vs. poking holes. Unless you hit the structures mentioned, you're just counting on the other person to freak out and give up, basically. Since that's rational, okay, but rational people don't typically do a bunch of meth and attack others, so maybe not ok.

That brings me full circle. All the penetration in the world is worthless if you just tap them high left or right chest. You're going to get a lung, and maybe/maybe not the subclavian. Those kinds of wounds aren't very effective in the short term. Sure, long term they will bleed out over the next half hour or who knows how long, but I'm not worried about that.

So my advice is to load up when you can put COM or in the CNS reliably, on demand. If that round happens to get 10" in FBI gel but you and your pistol shoot it faster and more accurately than anything else, whatever. I'd still pick it.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Shot placement is vital. However, I think many gun owners and toters use "shot placement" as some sort of trump card and excuse to use inferior product. Shots through barriers, at irregular angles, and in limited exposures are a reality. Modern bullets loaded with the least amount of recoil that achieves terminal ballistic standards should be the goal. And knowing what we know about the (in)frequency at which people train, compete, and meaningfully test themselves, I also wonder how many who offer "shot placement" can stand and deliver that placement cold on demand.

The above isn't directed at anyone here in particular, just an observation of the argument.
    2012 National Zumba Endurance Champion
    الدهون القاع الفتيات لك جعل العالم هزاز جولة الذهاب

Feedback Score
    11 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by ST911 View Post
    Shot placement is vital. However, I think many gun owners and toters use "shot placement" as some sort of trump card and excuse to use inferior product. Shots through barriers, at irregular angles, and in limited exposures are a reality. Modern bullets loaded with the least amount of recoil that achieves terminal ballistic standards should be the goal. And knowing what we know about the (in)frequency at which people train, compete, and meaningfully test themselves, I also wonder how many who offer "shot placement" can stand and deliver that placement cold on demand.

The above isn't directed at anyone here in particular, just an observation of the argument.
    I agree with everything you've said. I'm just saying that I've seen people shot to shit with GREAT! ammunition. The one that dropped them? A funky hit in the lower abdomen that hit the CNS and the legs stopped working. Their top half was still fighting all the way to the intubation.

Feedback Score
    If it's free, or incredibly cheap, I'll gladly take all of it off you hands for you.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Saw video, read witness statements, examined autopsy on a guy shot with 9mm 115 grain ball. The bullet hit the subclavian. He fell down, got up, said "I'm shot, " walked around in a little circle, sat down, and died. The whole sequence took less than 30 seconds. Had it missed the subclavian, different outcome was likely.

Feedback Score
    How many people have we been shooting lately.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Uni-Vibe View Post
    Saw video, read witness statements, examined autopsy on a guy shot with 9mm 115 grain ball. The bullet hit the subclavian. He fell down, got up, said "I'm shot, " walked around in a little circle, sat down, and died. The whole sequence took less than 30 seconds. Had it missed the subclavian, different outcome was likely.
    Are you suggesting shot placement is important?

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by SteveS View Post
    How many people have we been shooting lately.
    This week?
    Philippians 2:10-11

To argue with a person who renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead. ~ Thomas Paine

“The greatest conspiracy theory is the notion that your government cares about you”- unknown.

Feedback Score
    We had a shooting victim here in New Orleans a few months ago (March 23rd I believe). He was sitting in his car having just got off work when he was approached by a young gentleman. An argument ensued, and the victim was shot 18 times with a 9mm, just about everywhere in his body including three head shots. The perp ran off, and was arrested a short time later. The victim drove away and made it to a local Hotel. He walked into the lobby gushing blood, and said "I'm sorry about bleeding all over your floor, but I need help". Police were called, and when the ambulance arrived, the victim stood up and walked to the gurney and laid on it so the EMT's could start working on him to save his life. He was transported to the local Hospital and the trauma team saved him. He kept saying that all he wanted was to go back to work (he held two jobs to support his family). He survived the shooting, and if anyone reads this in time, he and his story will be on the Channel 4 News (WWL TV), here in New Orleans tonight (Friday May 10, 2019) at 10:00 pm entitled "The Miracle Man". Maybe not related to this thread because I have no idea what 9mm ammo the perp was carrying when he shot the victim. His story might be available on WWLTV.com if you care to search for it. I'm terrible with tech stuff, so I can't post a link, sorry.
    Last edited by La26; 05-11-19 at 09:06.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast