Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Application to transport SBR denied. What to do?

Feedback Score

Application to transport SBR denied. What to do?

So, my finances and job situation are forcing me to move back to CT. I have a lower that's been SBR'd that I've stripped down (so it's not in any configuration, pre or post ban). Because of the AWB in CT, the ATF has denied me permission to bring it with me, regardless of its configuration. I'm moving in 3 weeks. It's registered to me, not on a trust. What can be done with this?
    Those who beat their swords into plowshares will plow for those who do not.-Ben Franklin

there’s some good in this world, Mr. Frodo. And it’s worth fighting for.-Samwise Gamgee

Feedback Score
    If it's not in an NFA configuration, there's no need for a 5320.20. If you can build it into a CT-complaint non-SBR (I have no idea what their state/local laws are), then just take it with you as a stripped or completed lower.

They've clearly stated that in the past.

Feedback Score
    I think there’s a way to revert the form 1 with the atf

CT is a no go so long as it’s registered. Even if it’s not in SBR form

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Feedback Score
    I think I found something from Prince Law where I can mail my form 1/tax stamp back to the ATF with a letter stating that its now a title 1 firearm (I'll register it as a receiver and not build it into any configuration). In the future, if/when the AWB laws are overturned (don't let us down, Kavanaugh!), I can re-register it if I choose.
    Last edited by BoringGuy45; 10-29-18 at 20:48.
    Those who beat their swords into plowshares will plow for those who do not.-Ben Franklin

there’s some good in this world, Mr. Frodo. And it’s worth fighting for.-Samwise Gamgee

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by BoringGuy45 View Post
    I think I found something from Prince Law where I can mail my form 1/tax stamp back to the ATF with a letter stating that its now a title 1 firearm (I'll register it as a receiver and not build it into any configuration). In the future, if/when the AWB laws are overturned (don't let us down, Kavanaugh!), I can re-register it if I choose.
    You don't have to send the Form 1 back. You can just notify them of the change.

Can you really not take a stripped receiver into CT?

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by BigWaylon View Post
    You don't have to send the Form 1 back. You can just notify them of the change.

Can you really not take a stripped receiver into CT?
    Apparently. I guess if it's registered as an SBR, they won't allow it. I sent in the 5320 a month ago, got a response back that I was disapproved because I didn't have a CT pistol permit. So I resent it, this time with a photocopy of my CT permit. They then sent another disapproval citing "violation of state law" as the reason (for some reason, they sent it to my new address, even though I stated on the 5320 that the transport date wasn't till the 17th of November. Luckily it's my parents' house, so they were able to get it).

Feedback Score
    104 (100%)
    You do realize you are overthinking this right? Separate the upper and lower, the lower is now a Title 1 firearm. There is no need to deregister or do anything. Whether or not CT allows you to bring it into the state is a separate issue.

If you cannot, then you simply sell it off and take the loss, or you secure it somewhere out of state where only you have access to it.

Quote Originally Posted by BoringGuy45 View Post
    Apparently. I guess if it's registered as an SBR, they won't allow it. I sent in the 5320 a month ago, got a response back that I was disapproved because I didn't have a CT pistol permit. So I resent it, this time with a photocopy of my CT permit. They then sent another disapproval citing "violation of state law" as the reason (for some reason, they sent it to my new address, even though I stated on the 5320 that the transport date wasn't till the 17th of November. Luckily it's my parents' house, so they were able to get it).

Owner/Instructor at Semper Paratus Arms

Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/SemperParatusArms/

Semper Paratus Arms AR15 Armorer Course http://www.semperparatusarms.com/cou...-registration/

M4C Misc. Training and Course Announcements- http://www.m4carbine.net/forumdisplay.php?f=141

Master Armorer/R&D at SIONICS Weapon Systems- http://sionicsweaponsystems.com

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Iraqgunz View Post
    You do realize you are overthinking this right? Separate the upper and lower, the lower is now a Title 1 firearm. There is no need to deregister or do anything. Whether or not CT allows you to bring it into the state is a separate issue.

If you cannot, then you simply sell it off and take the loss, or you secure it somewhere out of state where only you have access to it.
    So long as it doesn't have the "evil features", it's benign. No collapseable stock, no flash hider, no pistol grip, no problem. Sadly, I'll be without a functioning AR until the law in changed or I can get the money for a pre-ban lower, as I refuse to build it into the crazy state compliant configuration. When I left the state 5 years ago, I had a pre-ban, and at the time didn't think I'd ever move back, so I sold it. Unfortunately, the price has since doubled.

Another question though, if I don't "officially" de-register it, take it with me, then the law gets overturned and I want to rebuild it into an SBR again, what do I do?

Feedback Score
    30 (100%)
    If you refuse to build into a crazy state compliant version why even bother to jump through the hoops of transferring it to begin with? Just bring it with and stuff it in your closet?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    I don't involve the government in my firearms ownership. I was just talking to some guys I went to school with who were back in town from CA. They have AKs and stuff locked in their safes. It was refreshing to hear from people who say Eff You to stupid laws.
    "What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast