Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Looking for My Next AR ... Suggestions

Feedback Score

Looking for My Next AR ... Suggestions

I purchased a Colt AR about five years ago and have been happy with it. I'm looking to buy another AR and have been reading as much as I can (too much?) about other brands, models, etc. and I'm pretty much totally confused by all the options and variations. I have a budget of $1500 and can spend it on the rifle alone, since have all the accessories I need, etc.

I'm looking for something that is a "step above" Colt and offers the best in reliability, rugged build, durability, etc. etc.

I will be shooting it at my local range short and longer ranges: combat pits and ranges to 400 yards, etc. I'd want it to be capable, if necessary, of being a solid, reliable SHTF or HD scenario rifle, as well.

Should I just get another Colt? Or ... ??

Daniel Defense?
    Bravo Company?
    LMT?
    KAC?
    Last edited by FredL; 10-26-18 at 07:21.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    I hear Andersons are often privately purchased by certain Tier One units when operating overseas.

Ok, not really.

If it were me musing on this question, and I really wanted something non-Colt I think I might get the basic LMT carbine and probably change out the furniture.
    Although if I were really going to go buy another off the shelf AR tomorrow I probably would in fact just get a Colt, either the 6920HBPW, Trooper, or CCU, or possibly go NFA with a 6933.
    Last edited by Circle_10; 10-26-18 at 07:23.

Feedback Score
    $1500 wont get you a new KAC. You can find DD and some LMT models around there or less for the LMT base model, but that wouldn't be much of a step up over a 6920. I am assuming you want the rifle for the newer features out such as mid length gas, free float rail etc? Those things are not neccassarily better than the Colt though. A 6920 will do 99% of what you want in a rifle for most practical applications. if you did want some different features look into:

Colt CCU
    BCM RECCE ETC
    SIONICS
    DD

I like the DD barrels a lot, but feel the value isnt there for the rifles compared to other brands, so would personally be looking at Colt CCU, BCM and SIONICS. Also consider throwing an upgraded trigger in whatever you end up getting

Feedback Score
    50 (100%)
    Long range precision isn’t a priority for you, so you don’t need a longer barrel, could probably go a little shorter... (This is only referencing the added velocity from a longer barrel, not inherent accuracy.)

I’d probably buy an SBR Colt or BCM. Or the Colt CCU, if I just wanted to upgrade to mid length with a free floated hand guard. I’m a cheapskate, so would probably buy separate upper and lower from either company, on sale. Upgrade the trigger, and you’re good to go. Should have enough cash left to get a nice optic.
    Last edited by JediGuy; 10-26-18 at 08:26. Reason: Avoiding drama

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    PWS has really impressed me I have about 2k rounds through my x39. Have run the absolute stink out of it will eat any ammo I feed it from Hornady to Wolf to Tula to Red Army and Atomic and Detroit subs, runs suppressed like a dream and I have not exactly made love to it. Mud, dust, bouncing around in a quad/side by side it just runs. Any of the other brands mentioned are great too. I have no particular affinity for one system or the other PWS is my first piston, but I've been wholly impressed with it's performance.
    Last edited by sasquatchoslav; 10-26-18 at 08:48.

Feedback Score
    There probably isn't a "step above Colt" since they are the military standard, although there are other good brands and I'm a BCM fanboy.

IF you just want "another AR", buy another Colt but maybe get a different variant like a skinnny barrel AR6720 or heavy barrel AR6721.

I like my 6720 for the light weight, but the 6721 is the most accurate one I've ever shot.

Other than that, if you can find another top tier brand at a bargain price, go that way.

Feedback Score
    33 (100%)
    With that budget I vote BCM. Go over to G&R Tactical, choose a lower, add the A5 buffer system and SSA trigger, pick out your upper, add BCG and charging handle. Use code BCM18 for your M4C discount, you're done for under $1500 with a pretty sweet rifle.

Feedback Score
    The only thing I would choose over Colt cost more than $1500. With that in mind, just get a different variant of Colt (Trooper, EPR, CCU) & use the extra for a nice optic. You could also look at the BCM line which will run about $1500 for the free float railed models. Besides that, I’d look at LMT or KAC, but they’re over $1500.

Feedback Score
    LWRCI DI in 5.56 NATO. I've two, and have never found better...

All the best,

One&Done

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by FredL View Post
    I purchased a Colt AR about five years ago and have been happy with it. I'm looking to buy another AR and have been reading as much as I can (too much?) about other brands, models, etc. and I'm pretty much totally confused by all the options and variations. I have a budget of $1500 and can spend it on the rifle alone, since have all the accessories I need, etc.

I'm looking for something that is a "step above" Colt and offers the best in reliability, rugged build, durability, etc. etc.
    This is what I would do, because of this:

LaRue accuracy is known world-wide. The accuracy of each LaRue Rifle is proven at our 100-yard tunnel using match-grade ammunition. No LaRue firearm can leave the facility unless it obtains accuracy of less-than 1 MOA (1.047”) at 100 Yards. Each firearm ships with a copy of a 3-round group obtained from that actual firearm.

16 Inch LaRue Tactical PredatAR 5.56 - $1190.90 Doing it this way:

LaRue Ultimate Upper Kit - 16" Predator or Stealth - Assembled and Test Fired - $991.00 - https://www.larue.com/products/larue...-15-upper-kit/

LaRue Billet Lower - $199.00 - https://www.larue.com/products/larue-billet-lowers/

If you look at the parts list, with these two items you have a complete rifle, with guaranteed 1 moa accuracy and the LaRue MBT Trigger (read the reviews) for $1190.00.

I spec'ed assembled because they test fire it for accuracy. If you aren't comfortable assembling the lower, I'm sure a LGS would do it for less than a hundred.

According to my calculations and equivalent DD would be $1656.00:

YOUR BUILD:
    (click to change at any time)

1: Finish Color: Black
    2: Furniture Color: Black
    3: Trigger: Geissele SSA 2-Stage Trigger
    4: Gas System Length: Mid Length
    5: Barrel: 16" Barrel
    6: Muzzle Devices: Flash Suppressor, 5.56 NATO
    7: Bolt Carrier Group: Bolt Carrier Group
    8: Rail System: SLiM Rail
    9: Sights: None
    10: Grips: None
    11: Upgrades & Accessories: None
    Total: $1,656.10

BCM RECCE-16 MCMR-15 MLOK GOVT $1,299.00 http://www.gandrtactical.com/BCM-REC...OVT_p_825.html

Lewis Machine & Tool CQB16 CQB MRP Defender 16 Rifle 5.56mm 16in - $2099.00 https://www.tombstonetactical.com/ca...56-16in-black/

Lewis Machine & Tool CQB16COP CQB MRP Distressed Copper 16.5in - $1999.99 https://lmtdefense.com/firearms/cqb16cop

Knights Armament 31900 SR-15 Mod 2 Rifle 5.56mm 16in Black Mlok URX4 - $2470.10
    https://www.tombstonetactical.com/ca...ack-mlok-urx4/

Looks like only the LaRue and the BCM would come in under your $1500.00 limit.

I would be all over another LaRue, myself.

Hope this helps, it's raining here, I had nothing better to do.
    Patriotism means to stand by the country. It does not mean to stand by the President... - Theodore Roosevelt, Lincoln and Free Speech, Metropolitan Magazine, Volume 47, Number 6, May 1918.

Every Communist must grasp the truth. Political power grows out of the barrel of a gun. Our principle is that the Party commands the gun, and the gun must never be allowed to command the Party Mao Zedong, 6 November, 1938 - speech to the Communist Patry of China's sixth Central Committee

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast